Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I am getting a new job

Author Topic: I am getting a new job
Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2009 05:47 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be leaving AMC soon to start working as the projection/facilities manager at a "Movie Tavern" theater in Williamsburg, Va.

AMC is actually the only company I have ever worked for. I got a job as a concessionist immediately upon turning 16. Since that time, I became a manager and then the projection manager.

I really love my current job but it is definitely hard to make ends meet. Movie Tavern offered me a significant raise. So, leaving here is kinda bitter-sweet. I am both excited and nervous.

I will fly down to Atlanta on Feb. 2nd to train for 3 weeks at a location down there. The theater that I will eventually work at will open at the end of March.

My current booth is all Christie (platter, projector, and lamphouse). Almost every house uses SDDS. At the new Movie Tavern, almost none of the equipment will be familiar to me (so be prepared for a lot of questions in the near future!)

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-21-2009 07:47 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! I love Williamsburg and the surrounding areas.

I worked at the Williamsburg Theatre (now known as the Kimball Theatre) for a year and a half before I graduated from W&M (and the theater closed soon thereafter for renovations and upgrades). I'd suggest checking it out sometime, as it's an interesing building and they seem to have done a reasonably good job with the renovations.

Also, check out the 70mm short at the CW Visitors' Center. It's one of my all-time favorite films and the twin theatres are of an interesting and unusual design (some like it, some hate it).

When I was there, the only commercial theatres were two dumpy Carmikes, which I believe have both closed.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2009 08:06 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Scott..

A buddy of mine, who was a member of my projection staff, now works at that CW theater. I believe he runs a movie called "The Patriot" pretty much constantly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: