Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How I've grown to hate "Destroyed in Seconds"! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How I've grown to hate "Destroyed in Seconds"!
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-23-2009 01:46 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen this show on Discovery, showing camcorder footage of explosions, crashes, and cop car chases? It's a rehash of "Real TV," or YouTube in HD, as you will...

Actually, my gripe is they keep using the same two or three sound effects for every clip that involves spectators. One in particular, you can hear a girl screaming, "aaa-EEEE-iiii!" That's their favorite. I'm not exaggerating... if you watch the show, you'll hear it at least twice per episode (and often more, over different clips). The sound editor should know better, it's just too distinctive to keep using over and over.

It's become too annoying. I'm not watching this show anymore.

[rant off]

|  IP: Logged

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2009 09:31 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that way about Time Warp. Interesting concept but poor execution. Something look interesting in slow motion... but whole segments of dogs shaking off water, blenders chopping, & pulling a table cloth off a table? How unexciting can you possibly make slow-mo?

It's just 2 guys who have really expensive cameras, nothing to do, and a bad narrator. And the formula of the straight laced partner and edgey partner is unneeded.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-23-2009 10:34 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right! I thought the same thing about that show. [sleep] They're trying to emulate the formula of "Mythbusters," where the personalities drive the show as much as the experiments.

And, like "Destroyed in Seconds," they keep running the video backward on screen, and playing it over and over again. Sheesh! I have to yell at the TV, "We've SEEN it already!"

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2009 12:32 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Word.

The best thing on Discovery besides Mythbusters is Man Vs. Wild. Other than that, yeah. It's tired.

As far as knockoffs go, Prototype This is cooler than Smash Lab however both shows suffer from the fact that they keep trying rediculously complex projects without enough dev time...And often their ideas are just stupid...

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-23-2009 12:48 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The couple times I saw Destroyed in Seconds, I wondered why they'd show you a clip at the commercial break only to show the same exact one again right afterwards.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2009 02:45 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
The best thing on Discovery besides Mythbusters is Man Vs. Wild.
Dirty Jobs is worth watching too.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-23-2009 03:27 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These shows are done because they are very cheap to make and at least initially draw a pretty good audience. Next is the building demolition show.
Didn't somebody have a video of the Man vs Wild guy and crew checking into a motel somewhere when they were supposedly camping under hazardous conditions?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-23-2009 04:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree that "Destroyed in Seconds" is a POS ***AND*** so is that super hokey/dumbass show "Myth Busters" with their unscientific and "set-up" experiments...what a bunch of asshole and no-talent loser hosts!

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-23-2009 06:46 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Phil, I was gonna invite you over to watch "Mythbusters" as we snuggle up on the couch. [evil]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-24-2009 02:51 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
(Jesus has saved me once AGAIN from evil!) [beer]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-24-2009 07:23 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Destroyed" is a good example of post-production, audio sweetening Class gone amuck. Terrible!

(Game show bloopers music cues is just about as bad!) Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2009 08:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
Damn Phil, I was gonna invite you over to watch "Mythbusters" as we snuggle up on the couch.
Yea, but just to keep this thread balanced... that one gal on Mythbusters is a hottie!

I have to confess that I watch very little TV and haven't had the opportunity to catch "Destroyed In Seconds"... If I do watch TV its usually documentary or something like Funniest Videos... At least some of them are really funny and their sound effects people don't seem to have that "destroyed In Seconds" problem!

Mark

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2009 08:19 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to divulge a little guilty pleasure of mine... when there's nothing on TV I'll usually end up one channel down from Discovery and find myself watching John & Kate Plus 8. Being a 24 yr. old straight male I don't think I'm their target demographic but how can you not like that show?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-24-2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tyler, I don't think I've ever seen that show.
quote:
that one gal on Mythbusters is a hottie!
Ohhh, yes, Kari Byron! Ummm...

-

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2009 01:05 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget the Diet-Coke-and-Mentos geyser craze made famous by EepyBird and later deconstructed on “Mythbusters” was inspired by Kari...

-

Regarding “Destroyed in Seconds,” I see it as nothing more than a Discovery Channel copy of the History Channel show “Shockwave,” which predates “Destroyed” by about a year. The same footage on “Destroyed” -- exploding houses, collapsing water towers, crashing aircraft, stolen tanks running amok in suburban San Diego, and so on -- was featured earlier on “Shockwave,” featuring the same theme of surviving the seemingly catastrophic. So much for originality. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: