Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Texas Instruments TI to cut 1200 jobs

Author Topic: Texas Instruments TI to cut 1200 jobs
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 04:12 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Texas Instruments TI is cutting 1200 jobs starting today through March, most of the based in Texas.

So what's new? They already laid off 650 employees 6 months ago.

I guess it's not a good time to ask them to lower their $20m DCInema license to new projector manufacturers ...

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-28-2009 08:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering they have well over 15,000 employees thats a drop in the bucket. T.I. is the number 2 Semiconductor manufacturer in the world running just behind Intel.

Mark

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-28-2009 11:07 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's well over 10% of the total with the two batches of cuts; hardly just a 'drop in the bucket'. What proportion of their turnover does the Digital Cinema business represent? I would guess a fairly small one.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 12:28 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This economy sucks for everyone. My sister-in-law lost her job this week. She had a pretty good job in the fashion industry and they just gave her a five month severance and let her go.

She has a large house she won't be able to make payments on if she doesn't find another job soon. The real kick in the nuts is that she will end up losing money on it if she can even sell it at all in this market. [Frown]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-28-2009 04:16 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boeing plans to cut lose 10,000 jobs this years. And Starbucks plans to close 300 stores and lose 7000 jobs too. Target is also cutting 500 jobs.

[ 01-28-2009, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 06:31 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
T.I. is the number 2 Semiconductor manufacturer in the world running just behind Intel
TI #2 in the world? It was 3rd in 2005 and 2006 and 4th in 2007. Who knows where it was in 2008 [Smile] (#2 and #3 were Samsung and Toshiba)

DLP seems to be roughly 6% of their business. DCinema would, obviously, be a small dent of that 6%, with home/data projectors and retroprojected TV sets being the bulk of it.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 06:58 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
And Starbucks plans to close 300 stores and lose 7000 jobs too.
When I was staying in downtown Chicago in 2007, I couldn't believe that there actually WAS a Starbucks on every corner. We would pass three stores on our way to the bus stop. That seemed like huge overkill to me. [Roll Eyes]

I heard one economist say on the radio a few weeks ago to not be surprised if we don't see the bottom of this for three more years. Even then we still have to come back up. Things can get really bad in three years. Maybe we will see a second great depression?

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 11:23 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.crn.com/hardware/213000050

quote:
NEC Friday said it would cut 20,000 jobs from its global workforce and look to divest itself completely from the industrial LCD side of its business. In addition, Reuters cited a report in Japan's Nikkei daily that NEC is in talks with Toshiba to merge part of Toshiba's chip operations with NEC Electronics, the company's semiconductor unit.
According to Reuters, NEC's reduction will be complete by March 2010 and includes previously announced 1,200 layoffs from NEC Electronics. News reports indicated the cuts would be divided equally between NEC units in Japan and abroad and at least half would be full-time positions. NEC employs more than 150,000 worldwide. According to NEC President Kaoru Yano, who spoke at a briefing in Tokyo, most of the cuts will be in the chip, electronic-component and LCD divisions.

NEC reported a loss of $1.46 billion (130 billion yen) for its October-December quarter and said it expects a loss of about $3.21 billion (290 billion yen) by the end of its fiscal year on March 31. NEC had previously forecast a profit of $165.9 million (15 billion yen) for the year.

I have the feeling DCinema manufacturers are not "in" for significant price reductions. I think distributors, the ones benefiting the most from DCinema in the short and, specially, long term, are the ones that are going to have to foot the bill.

They better follow Paramount example and start bringing those clear-cut VPF once and for all ...

Sony also posted significant loses and some jobs cuts as well ... not that Sony ever cared much about their cinema exhibition business as otherwise it could be a very serious competitor ...

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 03:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more worried about inflation taking out the economy than a second Great Depression. Agreed, however, this crisis seems to have the makings of a drawn out problem for years.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-04-2009 08:54 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add Panasonic to the list with 15,000 jobs tobe cut and 27 plant worldwide to shut.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-05-2009 08:44 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Sanyo merging with Panasonic.......

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: