Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » And the future of cinema is 3-D ... ????

Author Topic: And the future of cinema is 3-D ... ????
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 04:43 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/090123/aqf022.html?.v=69

quote:
Research has shown that up to 56% of those 18 to 38 years of age have one or more problems with binocular vision and therefore could have difficulty seeing 3D," shares COVD President, Dr. Carol Scott, optometrist from Springfield, MO, "and about five to seven percent of children have amblyopia (lazy eye) and cannot see 3D at all."

quote:
Those 3-D commercials set to air during the Super Bowl will be useful in determining whether individuals are suffering from vision problems, the College of Optometrists in Vision Development said today (Monday). In a statement, the Aurora, Oh-based organization said, "Many viewers may be disappointed when they don't see the dazzling 3-D effects." The group estimates that as many as 56 percent of persons 18-38 years old have vision problems that would make it difficult for them to see the 3-D images. The group claims that many of these vision problems respond to optometric vision therapy.

Personally, I find some of those figures whacked for different reasons too long to explain. But I am NOT a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. My own personal experience and opinion is that only about 10-15% of the population has some problem with 3-D and generally dislike it. This is offset by a similar number of people that just love it and go out of their way to experience it.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-28-2009 07:59 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the super bowl ads going to be pulfrich 3D? The Super Bowl did a pulfrich 3D half time show back in the late 80s.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 11:57 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tech is called "Color Code 3D" It appears to me to be a form of anaglyph 3D smilar to red and blue lenses, but with blue and brown lenses. Their website has some sample images and video that can be viewed with the glasses that are in the supermarket displays. I've yet to get a pair of glasses, so I'm not sure what the quality looks like. The images look almost exactly like anaglyph images when viewed without glasses.

Color Code 3D

Similar to what Disney is doing, Intel is branding the technology as "Intel 3D"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-28-2009 02:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to BUY glasses to watch Superbowl commercials in 3D? Retarded.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-28-2009 02:54 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They've cancelled the Lingerie Bowl, what's the point? ;>

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: