Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New Samsung 50" ProjectorPhone!!!!

Author Topic: New Samsung 50" ProjectorPhone!!!!
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2009 10:19 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh swell! I can hardly wait for people to start showing up at the theater with these things and pointing them at the blank screen before the show. ONE MORE REASON TO BRING BACK SCREEN CURTAINS!!!!
I saw a working prototype of a similar phone at a SMPTE meeting about two years ago and the the technology is amazing though.

Samsung Announces 50" ProjectorPhone

Samsung Phone Comes with 50" Video Projector
 -
­Samsung has announced plans to launch its first mobile phone with a built-in projector, which can beam an image up to 50" wide onto any surface. The Samsung projector phones utilize the Texas Instruments, DLP Pico Chipset to remove the limitations of the traditional mobile phone screen by easily providing "big picture" viewing experiences.

"Working together, Samsung and Texas Instruments, DLP(R) products have made headway in a currently untapped market," said Wonsik Lee, Vice President of R&D Planning Team at Samsung Electronics. "This is an exciting time for the mobile phone industry as we transform the limitations of the mobile phone viewing experience to compelling image sizes that really adds significant value to both business and consumer users."

With the DLP technology enabled Samsung projector phones you can now turn what has traditionally been an individual experience into a shared viewing opportunity for mobile content. By projecting content you can easily broaden the viewable image in a matter of seconds for ample screening.

The Samsung projector phones will be available in February in Korea (model name: W7900) and soon be available in the European market (model name: I7410) as well. The full-featured smartphones include a 5-megapixel camera and OLED touch-screen.

Pricing and further technical details are still to be announced

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-16-2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...did they publish its resolution specs? No...this guy is going to get clobbered by LCoS technology also creeping into cell phones. Its TI's last gasp at a consumer market DLP.

Steve

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2009 01:14 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
did they publish its resolution specs?
According to some info I found online, the projector
specs are 10 lumens at 480x320.

Once spec I HAVEN'T been able to find is how long the
battery will last when using the projector function.

Popular Science has some more pics and interesting info
on their website at:

PopSci- Samsung Projector Phone

ALSO
PopSci- "It's Raining Pocket Projectors"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-16-2009 01:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pocket projectors are getting to be quite common. Kids love em to play video games with. Yep! That DLP sure is dying out fast isn't it Steve!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-16-2009 02:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Mark, it is! Look at the crappy resolution and guess what...that is it...TI shut down that too...no new R&D on it so it aint going to be getting any better anytime soon.

TI laid off half the DLP division last year and cut it in half yet again on the latest round of layoffs. They demoted DLP as a division down such that it now reports to Analog products, of all things.

All you are seeing are things that were all ready in the chute...it is dying.

But what the heck...Mark you think it is going to survive so well...buy stock...see what your return is. Fortunately, TI's calculators can support much of that division.

Steve

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2009 09:11 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve and Mark,

I must say that I always enjoy the exchange of comments between you two. It's funny to see two people so passionate about what they do but usually with differing opinions on opposite ends of the spectrum. It reminds me of politicians. [Wink] [Razz]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-19-2009 09:28 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but Steve doesn't have credibility issues.

[Razz] [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-19-2009 09:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] Who was that you work for Tim, Wrong International isn't it???

Keep in mind that Politicians make the world go round!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-19-2009 11:22 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joshua Waaland
two people so passionate about what they do but usually with differing opinions on opposite ends of the spectrum.
Called "true blooded" technicans who love what they do..

When was the last time that you see two people having the same love of a trade having the same opinons on everything?

My kudos to both of them ....

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-20-2009 12:56 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Who was that you work for Tim
Ummm, who one works for has no bearing on what a person SAYS or does (or, in your case... doesn't do).

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-20-2009 01:31 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Who was that you work for Tim, Wrong International isn't it???
So if he worked for Christie and made the same statement it would hold more weight against you?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-20-2009 08:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Donno Tim, There must be something in your life bothering you...it shows and I'm sorry if there is. Its pretty sad when you have to publicly attack someone. Especially someone that has far more experience than yourself. I can guarantee you Tim that I have accomplished way more then you're ever going to accomplish working for who you do. If you only knew my background even before I worked in this biz! Many here do.

quote: Chris Slycord
So if he worked for Christie and made the same statement it would hold more weight against you?

In terms of sheer mass there is no doubt that Tim has more weight and yes, he would be far better off working for Christie since they will be around for a very long time.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-20-2009 09:14 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone...please...see rule #1. No personal attacks.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled "Mark and Steve Show" (which, I agree, is always at least interesting and often informative).

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-21-2009 12:06 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me, Scott.

Mark... don't talk down to me. I guarantee you wouldn't be in that tone for long if I was standing in front of you. Here's the rub: you are a blatant, used-car-style pitchman for a particular manufacturer, and as such you have no CREDIBILITY in most discussions. It doesn't matter what you do, who you do, where you work, or what you have done in the past (unless it's ripping people off-and I've got the emails to prove that) - you lost any credibility you had when you started blindly hawking The Turquoise at every turn! It's okay if you like something, but you're doing commercials on every friggin' post! It's more than obvious.

By the way, it sounds like YOU are the one with personal issues. For instance, why do you obsess so much over who I work for?! Why does that bother you? Are you trying to convince yourself that you have a cool gig? Or maybe you're compensating for some other shortcoming?

FWIW, I have been in this business a hell of a lot longer than you. When you go to sleep tonight, just think that no amount of pretending, arrogance, or genuine accomplishment will ever change the fact that you'll always be my bitch.

My life is multi-faceted, incidentally, not that I give a rats ass what you think. Neither could I care what you've done, where you've been, or whose ass you've kissed. You still don't have a clue.

quote: Ass Clown
In terms of sheer mass there is no doubt that Tim has more weight
[sleep] Wow, I'll bet it took you all night to come up with that one.

FWIW, in my last post, I was referring to you having no scruples: people buying things from you, and you taking months or years to send items, if at all. Thank goodness you were outed on Jeff Joseph's website -- I probably wouldn't have gotten what I did!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: