Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Broadcasting Pioneer Paul Harvey has dead at 90

Author Topic: Broadcasting Pioneer Paul Harvey has dead at 90
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-01-2009 08:59 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Harvey the news commentator and talk radio pioneer dead Saturday in Arizona. He was 90 years old.

"And That's the Rest of the Story"

RIP

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2009 09:22 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul could stretch out the name "Citracal" longer than anyone. Paul's version of the news was like no other...it was more about people than events. When a major event would happen, every newscast would cover it first, except Paul would lead with a story about small-town Kansas.

Time to rest now, Paul. No more getting to work so early. Time for someone else to give us "The Rest of the Story".

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-01-2009 10:17 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, how sad to lose another pioneering voice. I loved listening to his stories and his take on the news, and I will miss the way he always signed off:

"Paul Harvey... Good Day!"

RIP, Paul.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-01-2009 12:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Harvey was one of the biggest icons of radio, and probably had about as long a career in radio as anyone. I'm pretty sure he was one of the most famous people from Oklahoma.

I was in elementary school when I first heard his broadcasts. My father worked as a disc jockey and news anchor at Far East Network when we were stationed at the Marine Corps air station in Iwakuni, Japan. Paul Harvey's features were a staple of the radio broadcasts.

Up until just recently anyone could hear Paul Harvey when channel surfing radio stations. I would almost always run across one of his radio broadcasts while making road trips to Colorado. What makes Paul Harvey's passing sad is that he was such a consistent, common fixture in the lives of so many people for such a very long time.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-01-2009 01:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
he was such a consistent, common fixture in the lives of so many people for such a very long time.

That's for sure. I can't remember a time when I didn't hear Paul Harvey occasionally.

I have a friend who is a big Paul Harvey fan - he and I have always said "Good day!" when beginning or ending a conversation, I guess it's been sort of a small tribute to the broadcaster we are both fans of.

Radio Spirits should start working on a "Very Best of Paul Harvey" CD collection - I'll bet it'd be a big seller.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-01-2009 02:53 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our last connection to Olde Tyme Broadcast Radio: They were giants! Louis

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-01-2009 10:02 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always enjoyed his delivery technique, which was just as classic and iconic as Walter Winchell's. Also enjoyed his various vocal signatures, but especially his verbal cue for going to commercials - "Page 2" (or 3, or 4, depending on the break), his intro, "Stand by for News!", and of course the above mentioned, "Paul Harvey... Good Day!"

RIP Mr. Harvey.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 03:44 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always heard Paul Harvey because my dad liked to listen to him. In years since then I would run across him on the radio every now and then and listen for a while. It reminded me of my childhood. He was a great broadcaster and I always loved when the last story he would read was a funny one and you could hear his smile when he said his signature sign off. He will be missed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-02-2009 03:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our last connection to Olde Tyme Broadcast Radio: They were giants!
There's still Bruce Williams. He's financial advice and commentary though, not news, but still a very entertaining listen at times.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 06:09 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One day, Paul finished up a bit early. He did his usual signoff.."Paul Harvey"..wait..wait..wait

The silence lasted only for a few seconds, but I was about ready to smash the radio when he finally said "Good Day" No one used pauses as well as Paul.

My children and I had a running gag with THE REST OF THE STORY. We would try to guess who it was about and my guess was always "Abraham Lincoln". I made my guess one day, and, sure enough, it turned out to be Lincoln. Dad felt pretty smart that day.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 06:35 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once, about 12 or 13 years ago, Paul Harvey told a story of two fighter pilots who survived a mid-air collision of their airplanes during training. He said their names and, alas, one of them was "Greg Anderson." At the time, I was working at a radio station which carried Paul Harvey's daily broadcasts, so we recorded all of them from a satellite feed and replayed them at noon local time. So, of course, I had the recording of him saying my name. And, because he always seemed to pause between phrases, it was easy to edit his words into new sentences. In the end, I still have a crystal-clear recording of Paul Harvey saying, "And now, Lt. Commander Greg Anderson." I used that as my own introduction on the air a few times.

A co-worker and I liked to archive random phrases from Paul Harvey and re-edit them into new phrases all of the time. We never dared to put them on the air because some of them became quite crude.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: