Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My introduction to WATCHMEN (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My introduction to WATCHMEN
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-01-2009 04:07 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For reason I cannot understand, I have never heard or read about the WATCHMEN comic books until I began reading and seeing trailers for the new film opening next Friday. Warner Brothers Home Video is releasing a very comprehensive collection of the WATCHMEN strips in a DVD and Blu-Ray release titled WATCHMEN The Motion Comics on Tuesday, I understand it is a little over five hours long and I am planing to get the BD version. It will come with a computer code to print a $7.50 theatre coupon for the movie version. It will come in handy because I am planning to see it in IMAX. From the trailers I have seen, the movie appears to to have a very dark theme. Yes, I agree when someone said the movie was going to be big when it opens.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-01-2009 07:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had never heard of THE WATCHMAN either until I saw a trailer for it a week ago or so. After seeing the trailer, I hope to never hear about it again, ever.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-01-2009 08:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little curious to see what Silk Spectre looks like naked. Yeah. There is nudity in this movie. Not NYPD Blue-Dennis Franz' ass nudity either. Tits will be on display.

Of course, I'd be pissed beyond all belief if I was just 13 and hyped up to see the movie. The show is Rated R. Off limits to kids under 17 just to make them scream and cry.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2009 12:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes you wonder if Warner is trying to revamp "the MATRIX" with this movie .. into another cult classic type...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-02-2009 09:39 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Tits will be on display.
That's cool, of course, but I think it's too bad "Watchmen" is rated R. I would probably feel the opposite if I was a fan, but from a business point of view, it will be a gigantic pain in the butt, and the rating may hurt business in smaller towns.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-02-2009 10:34 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess adults need super cool big budget blockbuster movies too.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 12:06 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, I've been re-reading the comic book, and the further I get into it, one thing that becomes abundantly clear is that this story was designed to take full advantage of what the comic book medium has to offer.

One of the things which makes the comic so good is that each
chapter ends with pages of supplemental material, like excerpts from fake books, etc., which are used to create a fully-realized world that the main story takes place in.

Additionally, the individual panels have been laid out on the page in a very specific manner in order to create certain juxtapositions which are lost when turned into a movie.

These reasons, among others, are why the book's writer, Alan Moore, has disowned this project as well as the movie.

This thing might be entertaining, and I'm personally looking forward to the movie quite a bit. But this is one of those rare instances where the comic book is not simply a movie that doesn't move. And if you really want to see what all of the fuss is about, I highly highly highly recommend reading the book first.

Besides, it'll only take you a little longer to read the book than it would to watch series, and it's way cheaper than the Blu-ray set, so you can put that money towards seeing the movie.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-02-2009 01:43 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Comic book was a big deal when I was growing up and I had a fantastic collection at one time but my mother made me git rid of them when I was in high school [Frown] Just think how much some of them would be worth today because they go back to about 1948 when I first started my collection. Some of them were early SUPERMAN, BATMAN, THE SPIRIT among many others but my favorite of them all was "Classics Illustrated. I once did a book report during my high school freshman year of Alexander Dumas THE THREE MUSKETEERS from the comic book and got away with it [Smile] Where can one get hold of Watchmen comic books if they are still available? The video probably will be the best bet because it will come with a printable $7.50 computer movie coupon to see the film. I am pretty sure it will cost at least $10.00 to to see WATCHMEN in IMAX so seeing it on video might be the best way to get introduced to WATCHMEN. I am thinking about getting the Blu Ray but the DVD will be about $7.50 cheaper so I might settle with that format. People like you who have read the comic books and enjoyed it are very excited about the movie. I have seen the trailer many time and it does look very promising.

-Claude

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 01:51 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Of course, I'd be pissed beyond all belief if I was just 13 and hyped up to see the movie.
There won't be too many 13 year olds in line to see this one. The graphic novel is over 20 years old and it is a very hard R. This movie is also a very hard R. There is both male and female full frontal nudity, from what I understand. There is also lots and lots of blood. I can't of course speak for all comic shops, but many of them do regulate what they sell to children. Compare the expected crowd to be what came for Sin City. Not many kids for that one...

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 02:07 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not familiar with the "graphic novel" (I don't read comic books), and I had never heard of it at all until I got a bunch of trailers a couple months ago. I hadn't even seen the trailer until a few weeks ago, but now I am insanely psyched for this movie. I didn't see 300, so I'm not familiar with the director either, but I've seen the teaser trailer at least 30 times, and I get more pumped each time. If I don't book a print, I will be busting my butt to get out early enough on Thursday to catch the midnight at my old theater. I guess I am a sucker for superhero movies, second only to spy movies, and the trailers that I've seen suggest that this is a good 'un.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 02:24 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, if you go into any book store in the country right now, you will be bombarded with WATCHMEN merchandise as you walk in the door. The paperback collection of the entire series (12 issues) is listed at $20, but you can get it on Amazon for $11. So even without the $7.50 coupon, you're still coming out on top.

quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
People like you who have read the comic books and enjoyed it are very excited about the movie.
I think "excited" is overstating it a bit. I can't wait to see it, and I hope it's as good as it looks, but I'm scared that it will be terrible. "Cautiously optimistic" is the term I would use.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 02:40 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But I found the motion graphic novel a work of art on itself, definetly worth having it in DVD or Blu-ray.

A new art form, even.

A comic read to you and "set in motion" at the same time. Mesmerazing.

I haven't been into comics since I was 12.

But in the late 80's a friend of mine, who is a professional book translator (literature) told me about the graphics novel. He told me it was more than a comic, a true 20th century work of art. During a trip to England to a stereoscopy convention, I saw it in a store and bought it. I still have it somewhere. I read it the next couple of days in trains and flights. Found it truly interesting and worth it.

Recently I saw the motion comic, which made me remember the comic over 20 years ago.

I don't recall so much "nudity" etc, but it is not your normal superhero comics for the kids.

Anyway. If you can only read one comic book from the 20th century, this would probably be one of the ones to consider. But not everbody's cup of tea.

From wikipedia:
quote:
Watchmen has received critical acclaim both in the comics and mainstream press, and is regarded as a seminal text of the comic book medium.
quote:
Watchmen was the only graphic novel to appear on Time's 2005 list of "the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present".
We have to remember, though, that a comic is a comic, not a movie or a DVD, so it may lose some in the translation [Wink]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-02-2009 03:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reading comments about the WATCHMEN in Motion Comic Book on DVD and Blu Ray and the only negative comment about is was a man reading both male and female lines in the strip. They should have had a man read the male parts and a female reader read all the women parts. Anyway, I am still planning to pick up the video disc because I have heard it was good except the way it was interpreted by only a male voice. I am undecided between the two video disc formats because I am not sure paying extra for the BD would make any great difference.

-Claude

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 10:11 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way that this movie could of been made as anything other then Rated R. Like I said in another thread this will be huge. I will post my comprehensive review tomorrow night after I watch it. I've read the graphic novel so I will be able to compare and give insight if its helpful to the other fans.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 10:54 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, if you go to iTunes, they have little 30 second long clips of the motion comic that you can preview. I suggest taking a look at those before you make your purchase. This thing is nothing more than a flash animated version of the comic. It's really goofy looking. Personally, I think you'd be way better off just reading the book.

Either way, let us know what you think about the series.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: