Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Deteriorating Detroit and abandoned theaters

Author Topic: Deteriorating Detroit and abandoned theaters
Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2009 12:38 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading a Times online photo article about Detroit and all of the abandoned and deteriorated buildings. There was a link to the French team who's photos were featured. They have a feature photo spread of abandoned and deteriorating theaters which I found fascinating and hauntingly beautiful. I thought I would share.

Times article on Detroit:
http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1882089,00.html

Abandoned Theaters

http://reliques.online.fr/
(click on Abandoned Theaters of America)

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2009 01:23 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great find, Sean!

But I could almost cry.

Somebody please pass me a tissue. . . . [Frown]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-14-2009 02:55 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, sad. There are tonnage of forgotten and abandoned locations all over this country of various interests. One need to do a search on this topic and it's amazing what one will find.

-monte

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2009 09:18 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very fortunate to live in a city that managed to save 3 of the downtown theatres. The Ohio and the Palace are frequently used for concerts, Broadway shows and other large events. One especially nice location is the Southern, an 1890's vintage house with beautiful sound and beautiful sightlines. It seats 900 and is a perfect location for small groups.

AND, the Ohio is still equipped for film and shows them regularly in the summer. I think the equipment is still in the Palace, but hasn't been used in a long time.

Its really sad that we abandon so many beautiful places.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2009 01:25 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it is true that Detroit has lost or is losing many of its major landmarks, it is also true that many important ones have been saved. The Redford Theatre is probably the most magnificent theater I have ever been too (I saw The Passion of Joan of Arc there, with a live chorus!), and the Detroit Film Theatre always has a great schedule, although the auditorium itself is nothing special really.

Apart from movie theaters, we have a fantastic symphony with an elegant symphony hall, an opera house which I have never been to, a few great live theaters, a really world class museum, and apparently a hopping jazz scene. In other words, Detroit is down but not out. With the right intervention, Detroit could once again be a cultural capital of the region, country, and world. The help would have to come from Washington though, because the city and state are broke as all getout, but a revival of Detroit culture would fix that quickly.

Oh, I guess we have some sports arenas too?

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget about the 5000+ seat Fox Theater...

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-14-2009 04:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although Honolulu had some very beautiful theatres that are all gone now, the most beautiful one of all still exists in downtown Honolulu. It is the historic Hawaii Theatre. It was built by locally owned at that time, Consolidated Amusement Company and opened in 1922 and during the early thirties, the Hawaii was the first to play sound films in the islands, Although it had lost a lot of it's original splendor, I used to enjoy watching a movie at that theatre when I was a teenager until it shut down in the seventies. It was scheduled for demolition but was saved when a group came forward when Consolidated donated the building so it can be restored. Today, the Hawaii Theatre is a national landmark and something we in Hawaii are very proud of.

-Claude

http://www.hawaiitheatre.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: