Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Children's clothes.

Author Topic: Children's clothes.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-26-2009 12:55 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to go and buy a dress on my way home this evening. No, it's not for me, I don't think it would either suit me, or fit me. It's for the seven year old daughter of a colleague, who can't get it at her local branch of the shop, Monsoon, as it's out of stock. It's this one here: web page

Now, never having had any children, I can't claim to be an expert on clothes to fit them, but isn't thirty six pounds a lot of money to pay for a dress for a seven year old, that the seven year old will grow out of in a few months? If I was the parent, I think I'd sell the daughter rather than buy the dress, it's cheaper.

Seriously, are children really this expensive to run, and if so, how do people afford to have them? What is the total cost of bringing up a child these days?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-26-2009 02:22 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you had this loaded into the adding machine, I'd be afraid to push the total button. Louis

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 02:42 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
What is the total cost of bringing up a child these days?
Start at $50K and keep counting. And then there's college, graduate school, weddings, etc, etc. It never stops.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 05:20 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a sixteen year old who wants to spend about 160 UK pounds on a 'Prom Dress' at the end of this Academic year. Now, over here, in the UK, these school 'proms' are a relatively new idea, shipped across the Atlantic on a wave of media hype - thank you America!!

Joking aside, yes, these 'trainee humans' are quite expensive to maintain!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2009 12:13 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the US, I've seen figures of around $200,000 being the cost of raising a child until they're 18 years old. Crazy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-27-2009 02:03 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that's one reason U.S. citizens have been spending 130% of what they make in recent years (according to CNN). Crazy indeed.

My mom home-made all of my sisters' prom dresses for about 1/10 the cost of store ones, and they were better because nobody else had the same dress.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2009 09:59 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cringe when I see people buy 1 and 2 year olds a $40 pair of Nike shoes. I've got three boys, ages 8, 6 and 2 and none of them have worn out a pair of toddler sized shoes. My youngest son is wearing my 8 year olds toddler shoes.

In our neck of the woods, nobody gives a crap what "brand" of clothes you wear - until the kids start getting self-consious of it in Junior High and High School. I found out in college, nobody cared about brand name clothes any longer.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2009 12:55 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have four children ages 8, 6, 3, and 2. We live in a modest 50's-era home, my average salary is mid-30's (depending on calender year) and my wife does not work.

The kids are on a reduced lunch program at school, but my oldest daughter carries more than she buys. My son played baseball last year and is in golf this year. His biological father helps through his child-support payments. My wife's step father also helps with fees incurred through sports. I expect ALL of my children to get jobs when they are old enough to help pay any expenses they may have as teenagers. I WILL NOT pay for any post-secondary education expenses for any of the children as my personal opinion is this does not build personal responsibility in their early adult lives.

I think the #1 problem My wife and I have is not how much the kids cost us (because - in truth - its not all that much thanks to Walmart and discount racks), but how much money we are loosing in work that I have to turn down in order to sit with the kids while my wife is at school. Just since January, I've lost two shifts per-week at the theater and maintenance hours as well. Twice the booth tech has been here and I had to cut short my helping him so as to run home early in order for my wife to make it to class on time.

They're more of a pain-in-the-ass then they are a hit on the wallet.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: