Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Connecting PS3 to DLP-help!

Author Topic: Connecting PS3 to DLP-help!
Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2009 12:37 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me how to connect a PS3 to a DLP to watch Blu-ray on? Our DLP is with another cinema, we are hoping to borrow it to use with a PS3. But my colleague there has tried connecting them and gets no signal from AV Multi Out.
The DLP is a Panasonic 5100. Do we need to go from HDMI?
If so we are a bit stuck as the DLP has no HDMI input! I was thinking maybe a HDMI to component cable would work?
Any comments would be appreciated....cheers.

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2009 12:47 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To watch BluRay you need to go HDMI from the PS3 to your video output material (projector/tv). There are some HDMI to component converters that might do the trick but I have not tried one nor can I commend whether you will make it.
Demetris

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-31-2009 12:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
HDMI to DVI

Buy one of the above cables (depending on the length you need). Make sure your setting is at EDID:1 in the setup menu (its under OPTION 1 or OPTION 2, I forget) and you are good to go.

Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2009 06:14 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help, guys. Brad, I'll try that cable!!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-31-2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may run into problems with HDCP (High Definition Copyright Protection)using HDMI out.

If your projector is not HDCP compliant, the signal will not pass. If this is the case, you'll need to run out a lower res output from composite video or coaxial out.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-31-2009 11:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam brings up a good point, but in this particular case it will work. I have a few of those exact machines in service as preshow projectors also hooked into blu-rays with those same cables. [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-31-2009 12:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main thing is making sure it passes that "5C" data flag. It shouldn't be a problem going from HDMI and converting to DVI. Sometimes going from DVI to HDMI can have problems. Not all DVI outputs support the HDCP thing.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2009 12:02 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also pick up a component cable for the PS3. If you're having trouble trying to get the PS3 to output video I'm sure in the manual it tells you how to wipe out the previous video settings so you can reset them for your new configuration (I think you hold the power button for ten seconds or something along those lines)

Brad's way will provide a cleaner picture. The component cables might be cheaper (and you can then patch the L&R audio into your sound processor)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-31-2009 03:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the PS3 you hold the power button for 5 seconds and you hear 5 beeps and everything (including HDMI and Component) default to 480i. I believe you can hook up a second monitor to the AV port so you can see what you are doing while trying to configure the PS3 to output HD video to the projector.

Unless the projector passes on sound connected through the HDMI to DVI (can DVI even deal with sound? I don't think it can), you'll still need to hook up the regular stereo AV cables to get sound. Or you can hook up the optical connector straight into, ummm... Yeah you'll have to settle for stereo I believe.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-31-2009 08:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, DVI doesn't do audio. If DVI has to be used, you need some way to feed that optical output into the D-cinema system. Good luck on that.

Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2009 03:20 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I managed to sweet talk an audio visual company to lend me their DLP...it's HUGE! (Can't remember the make but it says Texas Light Instruments) The main thing is that it has HDMI in...as for the sound, I had to go buy a double RCA socket adaptor so we have stereo sound (as we have male RCAs coming out from the amp rack)...will be testing it in a few days.
I should bat my lashes a bit more often. Let's try it on Brad.
Brad, could you give me some Filmguard? [Wink]

Alastair Comrie
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2009 09:46 PM      Profile for Alastair Comrie   Email Alastair Comrie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Sally,

We did the exact same thing up here in Auckland a couple of weeks back for a documentary screening of Jumping in Puddles. It worked and looked great! Let me know if ya need any assistance.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: