Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Rodenator (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Rodenator
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2009 09:42 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen this? It pumps a manageable concentration of flammable gas (3% propane and 97% oxygen)into gopher holes and then ignites it with an electric spark effectively eliminating the offending varmint...by toasting him. They are using it in Spokane at the Finch Arboretum to eliminate a problem with burrowing animals. They claim it's a humane way to handle it which I found laughable at first...but then compared to the alternatives it's quick and relatively painless. Isn't technology wonderful?

[ 04-15-2009, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Joe Tommassello ]

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2009 02:00 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean we are no longer allowed to dump gasoline into the holes and ignite it? [Confused]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-15-2009 03:52 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that how they toast the Quizno's subs?

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2009 04:08 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Tommassello
it's quick and relatively painless
Haha, according to who?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-15-2009 04:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Lawton a prairie dog town in Elmer Thomas Park has its population controlled by using some sort of poison gas to kill a few of the animals every year. I'm not sure what they're using, but I think the poison is in pellet form. I don't know if they use water or something else to activate it. They throw some of it down a hole and pack the hole with dirt. The critters inside get gassed. The actual gas itself chemically breaks down and becomes harmless after a short amount of time.

The city's parks and recreation department got into some trouble with state environmental regulators when they first started killing some of the prairie dogs because they didn't get all the required permitting and other paperwork done. When the public got wind of it the whole thing started up a big shit storm between knuckleheads who didn't want any of the prairie dogs killed and assholes who wanted them all killed. The folks who wanted something called "balance" were drowned out over all the emotional yelling.

The whole situation could have been avoided had the city kept up its periodic population control efforts. Instead, someone cried foul about the culling. The city tried using a costly vacuum truck to suck the prairie dogs out of their holes. It didn't work all that well. Instead of going back to culling they left the situation alone for over a decade. Prairie dogs breed only once per year (contrary to popular misconceptions they multiply voraciously like mice, dogs and cats). But a decade's worth of prairie dog litters creates one hell of a problem.

Black tailed prairie dogs are actually an endangered species. Many prairie dogs towns have died out because of disease that occurs when a town is overpopulated. Bubonic plague can wipe out an entire town of thousands of prairie dogs in a few days. Occasional poisoning or gassing of some prairie dogs is needed for the sake of the entire prairie dog town. Predation from birds, snakes and domestic pets doesn't work because the prairie dogs are far too good at warning each other of threats.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-15-2009 04:39 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should just hire this guy.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2009 03:34 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote: Joe Tommassello
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it's quick and relatively painless
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha, according to who?

As John referenced above - according to Carl, the assistant groundskeeper at Bushwood Country Club..a man licensed to kill gophers!

Actually I am thinking it's more humane than poisoning or flushing them out (drowning them) - or sucking them into a truck with a vacuum! I suppose if you could use the poison pellet process Bobby describes that would be good if you can be sure you have the tunnels sealed off well enough to contain the gas long enough to do the job.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2009 03:54 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered if there was some sort of animal 'birth control' they could put in food to make them sterile.

I swear I saw a program many moons ago, that showed how scientist nuked blow-flys in Africa to make them sterile. Sent them out to the world to reproduce, but since they couldn't,the population has dwindled. But maybe I just dreamt that...?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-16-2009 09:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feed them boric acid and sugar water..stuff eventually dehydrates them to oblivion. It's how you get rid of ants for awhile..

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2009 08:30 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of ants they have infested our new kitchen in the last week. We kill at least 40-50 a day on our counter. We clean like crazy but they keep coming in somewhere. We have a baby that is crawling so we have to be careful what we use and where. Otherwise I would get some spray and kill all of the little buggers.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-17-2009 09:14 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clean has nothing to do with keeping these varmits out. In the Northeast and especially NYC, the population of bed bugs has skyrocketed dramatically in the last five years, and they are proving to be next to impossible to get rid of unless you get rid of everything in the residence, including your cloths and then gas-bomb the place.

The problem has gotten so bad (read: it's hit the rich people), that the city council just had a meeting to try to figure out what to do about it. They say that bed bugs were almost unheard of in the US up until the 50s when DDT was outlawed. Also exterminators in response to customs wanting less poison in their environment have in the last few years switched from spray pesticides to gels and traps to which the bed bugs are immune. Without DDT, the bed bug populations quickly got out of control.

New York is especially hard hit because of the high tourist influx, carrying the bugs in with them from all parts of the world....you know, the tired, the poor, the huddled masses, the wretched refuse....and all those bed bugs.

I found out that some people on the ground floor of our building have gotten infestations (we are on the sixth). This means it's only a matter of time before they work their way up to us. My lady is terrified.

The newest technology is that they come in with CO2 containers much like CO2 fire extinguishers and literally freeze the entire room, spraying CO2 snow everywhere. This kills the bug(ger)s and the eggs. Thing is, they reproduce so fast and exponentially that just a few eggs that survive & you've got the problem all over again. JoAnne is already depressed even at the thought that bugs will be eating us as we sleep. Me, I'm actually intrigued at the thought of seeing the exterminators coating the our entire bedroom with CO2 snow!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-17-2009 10:01 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Without DDT, the bed bug populations quickly got out of control.
Then why was it that the bedbug problem only got out of control recently rather than some time close to when DDT was banned? There was no bedbug problem even in the 2000, so did the lack of DDT cause that too?

Though it would be correct to say that the increase is due to recent bans on most strong pesticides. DDT, though isn't the major one.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-17-2009 02:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think many animal rights people are a bunch of hypocrites. How many of them own fly swatters, for example?

I'm just glad all the factories, highways, railroads, etc. got built and so much medical research got done before the environmentalists took over the world. Otherwise, we would be living in a primitive country and probably wouldn't have a life expectancy much over 50.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-18-2009 10:37 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got some kind of bugs in our bedding when I was in Vietnam, the solution was simple, put all the bedding, infested or not in a pile, pour lots of gasoline on it and light it....bug infestation solved quickly and efficiently. Shortly after that the latrine was infested....burned that down too. No problems thereafter. Not many insect issues that a good fire won't cure.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-19-2009 12:21 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bed bug problem is even showing up here in Lawton. The things not only bite you in beds. They can make themselves home in the nooks and crannies of a couch or recliner.

I'm not worried about the bed bug problem. My pillows and mattress are zipped up in allergy proof covers. When I lounge around on my couch I'm usually fully dressed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: