Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Does $1 million go far?

Author Topic: Does $1 million go far?
Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2009 10:06 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend called me yesterday letting me know her boyfriends brother will be opening his own movie theatre. Mainly, the call was to get me to move to Florida, but she told me he's got a backer who's putting up a million dollars to renovate an old building with new seats, concession, and projectors.

But from seeing our own running expenses it makes me think $1 million won't go far when starting fresh. I asked my friend but she doesn't know how many screens he's planning on having.

My question, if one's smart & frugal can you spread that money and have a decent theatre?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2009 10:16 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
How many screens? I think the last GCC I opened (12 screens) spent about $800,000 per screen for projection, sound, screen, etc...everything related to the presentation. No seats, no concession, etc. It was one projector and platter per screen.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-15-2009 10:45 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe - you're probably meaning $80,000 per screen. $800,000 would be the biggest ripoff of the century.

Or is that the cost of the building too? In that case 12 screens would be just under $10 million. If that doesn't include seats or concession, that must be one amazing building.

Tyler - your friend could probably get used equipment these days for dirt cheap.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2009 11:17 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Mike - I put an extra zero in there.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-15-2009 11:55 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$80K for GCC sounds about right, esp. with out-of-state crews. Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-15-2009 11:58 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that new-construction multiplexes typically run $1-1.5MM/screen for construction costs, equipment, seats, screens, etc. I don't know if this includes the land or just the building and its contents.

Obviously, you could spend less or more. Construction and equipment costs will be lower now than they were a few years ago.

Remember, too, that there is more to the cost of opening a theatre than the building itself. There will be film guarantees to pay, as well as advertising and other up-front costs of operation, and it may take a while to build a customer base.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2009 12:29 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, I'm not clear on what GCC means. :-(

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2009 12:50 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
GCC = General Cinema Corporation.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2009 01:17 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What size complex is it and how many seats does it have? New seats (for decent seats) will be over $100 each installed. And why would they put in new projectors unless they're going digital? If digital that'll be $65,000+ per screen. Carpet will run in the 10's of thousands depending on square footage to be covered.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-15-2009 04:43 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Tommassello
think the last GCC I opened (12 screens) spent about $800,000 per screen for projection, sound, screen, etc...everything related to the presentation.
Wow! If they need to build any more cinemas, I'd sure like to quote for the job. Please?

quote: Joe Tommassello
Yes Mike - I put an extra zero in there.
Damn. [Wink]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2009 07:08 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tyler Potts
he's got a backer who's putting up a million dollars to renovate an old building with new seats, concession, and projectors.
So its an existing building? Could you find out more about the real estate? Florida sounds like nice weather. I suspect $1 000 000 might be fine. Lets hope its got more than one screen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: