Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Building permits

Author Topic: Building permits
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-24-2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're getting a new roof on the movie theatre next week and I just found out that the city requires a building permit, to the tune of $812.00. Pretty much everyone around me -- including the roofer himself -- thinks that's high. The roof is going to cost about $35,000 but it's not like we're actually "building" anything - it's more like a repair, as far as I'm concerned. We are upgrading the roof to a much better material (hence the cost) but not changing or adding to the structure of the building at all.

Anybody on here had any experience with building permits? IS that high or am I lucky to be living in the bargain capital of the midwest?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-24-2009 06:06 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
When I took out a building permit for my home screening room, which involved no increase in my home's square footage...just removing and re-arranging of a couple of non-load-bearing walls, the L.A.Building and Safety Dept asswipes wanted full detailed drawings and made me jump thru all kinds of asinine hoops.

After having to get an architect to draw-up the plans and submit my proposal for approval, the city OK'd it and charged me over $3000.00 not including the $1800 for the architect. What a bunch of ass-hole dicks!

OBTW: I wanted to put a new composite shingle 2500 sqft roof on my house and they wanted over $1500 just for the "permit"... Doncha just LUV it all! [Wink]

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2009 09:15 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love being FUCKED in the ass by the goverment Bureacrats [sex] [sex] [sex] [fu]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-24-2009 09:36 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The building permit for our roof cost $1200. for an estimated
$140,000. Localities here don't generally require permits on replacements of residential roofs unless there is structural damage.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2009 09:35 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in 2005 when we added our second screen to the drive-in, the city did not require us to have any building permit for the dirt work and grading, but did require us to get a permit for the actual screen tower itself. Turns out they base the price of the permit on the total amount of square feet of ground coverage. The 2 foot diameter support poles for the screen are the only thing that contact the ground, and the total width of the screen is 60 feet. Based on that, I was needing a permit for a 120 square foot addition.. which was only the minimum of $20.00 for the permit fee.

Here's the catch though. Before the city would sell me a $20 building permit, I had to go to the county planning office and pay a $1,000.00 "County Services Impact Fee".

[fu]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2009 10:06 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
the city requires a building permit, to the tune of $812.00
Here in "the big city" that's pocket change.
I've gotten parking tickets in San Francisco that
cost me more than that!

Heck, 800bux just about covers the bribe you need to
slip someone in the building department here just to
make sure they don't 'loose' your paperwork.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-27-2009 10:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you guys have made me feel better...I think.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-27-2009 10:17 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much so they do not "lose" it?

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: