Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jukeboxes

Author Topic: Jukeboxes
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-26-2009 03:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many other jukebox fans there are out there, but for some reason I decided to look at youtube to see if there were any interesting 'boxes and I found a few unique ones.

Here is a jukebox mechanism I've never seen before. Quite interesting.

This jukebox has the stylus mounted backwards on the tone arm. Very odd to look at for everyone used to, ummm...virtually every other record player around.

I've seen jukeboxes that play the record vertically, but this one can actually play both sides and looks like some sort of 1950's science fiction robot.

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2009 04:01 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 1954 Seeburg R I'm trying to restore. It's outside under my carport but I have the mechanism in my bedroom to protect it from the outside elememts. I think the Seeburg background music player was also used by some cinemas & the music on some of the records sound like the music on some of the drive-in intermission trailers. Also,the person who owns Ohio Seeburg Repair & it's website under the You Tube name SeeburgRepair has a collection of drive-in speakers (RCA or Projected Sound,I don't know what brand)

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2009 09:32 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be considered too common by Jukebox lovers, but the Wurlitzer 1015 is the one I'd have in my possession if the circumstances were right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLVT6o6-zGA

The curves, the colors, and the bubbles... yeah, someday, I'll have one.

If I were in charge of a theater chain and money were no object, when it came time to design a new theater, I would take the architect to see a Wurlitzer 1015 and say "Design me a theater around this" [Smile]

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2009 02:27 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to make a choice between collecting film and having a jukebox and I chose film, but I still admire old jukes. My aunt and uncle in Wyoming have a completely original pristine Rock-O-La 1426 in their dining room.

Having said that, no thread about jukeboxes would be complete without mentioning the Scopitone. Scopitone was essentially a film jukebox that pioneered the concept of the music video. Rolls of 16mm mag striped songs were loaded in and the unit had a big viewing screen on the top. I searched youtube but have yet to find anyone demonstrating the operation of one. This site links to some info about the units themselves and the available titles. http://www.scopitonearchive.com/

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2009 02:56 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.brutallo.com/scopitone.html

Jukebox films galore! Pre Mtv music video's.

Edit: Of course you can now make your own
http://www.thepcjukebox.com/home.htm

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad:
These were really interesting and I hadnt seen them before.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-27-2009 04:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the Wurlitzer 1015 is the one I'd have in my possession if the circumstances were right:
Now is a good time to bitch at these youtube idiots. Don't just leave the camera sitting on a table when videoing a jukebox. We want to see the record mechanism do its thing and then while the record is playing show off the lights and such. Idiots! [Mad]

Wow, the Cinebox looks a bit like Wall-E. Those old Scopitone films on Todd's link are pretty awful (but awful in sort of a good way). MP3 jukeboxes are just lame though.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The YouTube videos are pretty poor quality, here's a better one that at least gets closer to the mechanism as it is operating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQFge8HBxiU

I promise, if anyone sends me one of these, I'll take the best video possible and post it! [Smile]

I can agree to an extent on the MP3 jukebox not being the same as a 45 or 78 rpm original, as there is something very tactile about seeing the mechanism doing its thing. Maybe that's one reason why the new "One More Time" replicas don't appeal to me as much.

The tube amp would have something to do with it as well, as it would have a sound that isn't going to be the same with a contemporary solid state amp.

However, the replicas still have the bubbles and lights, and that's something. I've always liked the design of that box, with the wood, the chrome, the red buttons, the lights, and the bubbles. Somebody knew what they were doing when they created that design!

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 08:38 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this page on American & foreign made jukeboxes. Jukebox-World Stamann Musicboxen The jukeboxes that are similar to the vertical play Seeburg jukeboxes:Jupiter/Atari/Electro-Kicker NSM Harmonie Emaphone Kolumbus Gedasa KB Discomatic-John Lennon had a KB Discomatic RCA/Victor-which uses a KB Discomatic mechanism

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-30-2009 03:21 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 1971 Rockola 445, currently stored at a friend's place. really pretty blue and pink and purple graphics...

I might bring it back home soon, I do miss it...

-Aaron

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-01-2009 03:42 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years, I have had and restored many jukes since I was 13. I currently have a pristine Seeburg "R".

My favorites are:
The Seeburg HF-100R

- )

The Seeburg L100:
 -

and the AMI "I"
 -

...all super-cool machines.

[ 05-01-2009, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-02-2009 08:09 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, you guys bring back memories. In the '60s I built a broadcast automation system out of an old juke box and a cart machine. Worked OK, but abused records. Real Rube Goldberg system. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: