Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What are your favorite hidden musical masterpieces? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What are your favorite hidden musical masterpieces?
Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2009 08:24 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With today's digital downloading growing and complete album sales plummeting, the treasure of finding a "deep track" and having it be one of your favorites by a particular artist is becoming more rare. I'm curious what some people hold as their "hidden masterpieces." These are tracks that never recognized the commercial success or radio play (perhaps due to length, profanity, etc.), but became a favorite as you listened to the album. These could be artists new or old. Any style of music. I am always interested in checking out more obscure tracks by bands. Often they can be better than what is manufactured for the radio to generate sales. I have listed a few of mine, although I have plenty more. My taste leans toward rock, but I listen to a lot of things. Share yours if you wish:

Format is Artist/Song/Album

Live / Pillar of Davidson / Throwing Copper
Beastie Boys / Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun / Paul's Boutique
Obadiah Parker / Hey Ya / youtube video (has gained lots of internet attention now)
Johnny Cash / Hurt / American IV: The Man Comes Around (a fantastic Nine Inch Nails song and Cash's version is priceless)
Pulp / Common People / released as a single
Cake / Frank Sinatra / Fashion Nugget

Anyway, there's a few. Now you go.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-01-2009 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Celtic Tigers / I'm Gonna Be (Five Hundred Miles) / Roar

Saw these guys in Maui of all places in an Irish Pub called "Mulligans On The Blue". Since my wife is an Irish dancer, we're always on the lookout for good Irish music, and have heard quite a lot of BAD Irish music. These guys are awesome though. In fact, the whole album is great in my opinion.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-02-2009 12:35 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Am A Camera, Buggles

Sea of Love, AB Logic

Creepin', Grand Funk Railroad

Heart of Stone, Fleetwood Mac (available only on the now-discontinued box set, "The Chain")

Odo-Ya, Sergio Mendes (a current fave)

Water Sign, Gary Wright

Rockin' Heaven Down, Heart

Parana, Airto

Doin' What I Can, Lindsey Buckingham

The Blonde In the Blue T-Bird, Walter Egan

The Sea is My Soil, Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass

Jeez, there are dozens of my favorite songs that most people have never heard of. Those are just a few top-of-head favorites.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-02-2009 08:54 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
Johnny Cash / Hurt / American IV: The Man Comes Around (a fantastic Nine Inch Nails song and Cash's version is priceless)
FYI: This did get lots of play on MTV at least.

And my entry is
Deep Purple / When A Blind Man Cries / B-side of Smoke on the Water single

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-02-2009 09:11 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Less Than Perfect" by Red 7, preferably the version from the soundtrack to the Joe Dante movie "Explorers".

"Walk on the Water" by Creedence.

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2009 10:24 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Life Is A Highway / Tom Cochrane

Roses Are Red / Aqua

Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now / Starship

Let's Do It / from: Tank Girl / Joan Jett & Paul Westerberg

The Touch / Stan Bush

Only Solutions / Journey

Never Ending Story / Limahl

Caveman (End Title) / Lalo Schifrin

Into it Starship Troopers / Zoe Poledouris

Just about any orchestration by / Basil Poledouris

This is why I love Movie soundtracks... You get so much variety and you hear some things that Would never be played Main stream.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2009 10:41 AM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I AM A CAMERA is actually a YES song called INTO THE LENS and was recorded when the two guys from the Buggles (Trevor Horn & Geoff Downes) were in the band. It was originally an unfinished Buggle tune that YES completed when Trevor and Geoff joined the band in 1980. This is the only YES album with out Jon Anderson singing. The Ablum in called Drama and consisted of Chris Squire (bass), Steve Howe (guitar), Allen White (drums), Geoff Downs (keyboards) and Trevor Horn (vocals).

Sorry, I am a bit of a YES fan as you might have guessed.

Anyway, I agree with you, it is a great song.

Clint

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2009 10:47 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always sad when a big hit steals the thunder of another great song from the album.

Everyone's sick of Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy," but the same album ("Simple Pleasures") has great covers of "Good Lovin'" and "Sunshine of Your Love."

The B-side of "Give a Little Bit" by Supertramp has a great little tune called "Downstream."

This makes me wonder about something else: How often does a band record a song knowing that it's probably just filler and they will never play the song in a concert? Perhaps the time they recorded it will be absolutely the last time they ever play it.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2009 11:10 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few more off the top:

Randy Newman - God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind)
Pink Floyd - When the Tiger's Broke Free (from the movie The Wall)
Cake - Frank Sinatra
Metallica - The Call of Ktulu
Beck - Jack-Ass

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-02-2009 11:38 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the later "YES" albums "Going for the One" (which Wakeman came back to record in this one..and we can even go on a side tangent with Wakeman with all of the great solo albums that he shot out..)- "90125" (major classic album!) - "Big Generator"

Remember when Anderson went solo with his very rare "Elias of Sunhillow" in 1976 for ATLANTIC, along with him teaming up with Vangelis on two albums "Mr.Cairo" and "Jon and Vangelis"?

Can I add RUSH into this progressive rock section?

"Tom Sawyer"
"Time Stand Still"
"Big Money" (one of the best videos on MTv)

et.al.

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-02-2009 11:45 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clint -
Right -- I knew about the Buggles/Yes connection and that Yes song, but the Buggles version was the one I heard first and I tend to like it better -- it's more pop-ish, I guess.

Here are some more of my favorite undiscovered tunes:

Sukarita - Judie Tzuke (she was very popular in the UK so some of you UK fans may have heard this)

Endings - Ambrosia (the last song on their last album)

Heaven is 10 Zillion Light Years Away - Stevie Wonder (one of his great gospel songs)

John Cope - Talk Talk (from their Asides Besides collection)

Street Kids - Elton John (you kids who think he's only a ballad singer should check this out)

Return to Tunguska - Alan Parsons (from his latest album "A Valid Path" - featuring David Gilmour on guitar)

Fightin' It Out In The Heart Of The City - Wendy Waldman (on her rock album "Which Way to Main Street," currently not available, unfortunately)

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2009 12:17 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a big progressive rock fan (Love Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, King Crimson...) Yes' album Magnification has a number of great tracks; Dreamtime is simply awesome! Also agree Rick Wakeman has a number of great albums [thumbsup]

Some of my favorite more obscure songs...

The Delicate Flame of Desire (Karnataka)
Freeeze! (Aural Vampire)
Oblivious (Kalafina)
Turn the Light On (Five Star Fall)
Dragonfly (The Cruxshadows)
Asuka (Rin')
Fall Down (Echostream)
Stigmata Martyr (Abney Park)
Double Rocker (Stereolab)

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-02-2009 12:45 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The album "The Trumpet Child" by Over the Rhine is like a river of awesome deep tracks.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-02-2009 01:06 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Muse/Knights of Cydonia/Black Holes and Revelations

One of the most awesome songs I've heard in years, I first heard it on the radio on my way to the mx track for my first ride in over 16 years. The lyrics really hit home with my state of mind at the time:

"No one's gonna take me alive, the time has come to make things right, you and I must fight for our rights, you and I must fight to survive."

Here's a link to the video of this song, it's a bizarre video.

LINKY

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-02-2009 03:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a handful of rock tunes I like that didn't get much radio airplay:

Queens of the Stone Age - In My Head / Album: Lullabies to Paralyze

Nine Inch Nails - Just Like You Imagined (instrumental) / Album: The Fragile
This tune was mostly obscure until it was put in the "300" movie trailer.

The Police - Too Much Information / Album: Ghost in the Machine

Metallica - Eye of the Beholder / Album: ...And Justice for All

Blue Öyster Cult - Joan Crawford / Album: Fire of Unknown Origin

The Fixx - Deeper & Deeper (long version) / Streets of Fire movie soundtrack

Stone Temple Pilots - Silver Gun Superman / Album: Purple

Alice In Chains - Dirt / Album: Dirt
This song was the title track of Alice In Chains' most successful album, but didn't get nearly as much airplay as other much more popular songs like Would?, Rooster and Them Bones. It's still one hell of a fearsome track.

Since Rush was mentioned it goes without saying Rush is not a singles oriented band. They sure put on a hell of a concert though! So it's difficult to characterize certain songs on any of their albums as being obscure, deep or undiscovered. At best I can only offer a few album tracks I really like that didn't show up on Greatest Hits releases like Chronicles:

Rush - Witch Hunt / Album: Moving Pictures
Rush - Digital Man/ Album: Signals
Rush - The Body Electric / Album: Grace Under Pressure
Rush - Marathon / Album: Power Windows
Rush - Turn the Page / Album: Hold Your Fire
Rush - Ghost of a Chance / Album: Roll the Bones

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: