Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I'm going to learn to be a blacksmith. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I'm going to learn to be a blacksmith.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-26-2009 08:52 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to book myself onto a blacksmithing course; it seems you need a few days of instruction, and you then just learn by experience. I've been looking for something to keep me occupied when I retire from the I.T. business, and I think this might be the answer.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-26-2009 12:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it would be an interesting and fun hobby, but where do you go to practice the art? Unless you already have all the blacksmithing stuff at home.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2009 01:11 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Renaissance festivals. Actually, there's a blacksmith place here in Waterloo that had made many props for movies. Chains for Amistad, the Gatling guns on the giant spider for Wild Wild West, that sort of thing.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-26-2009 01:29 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here:

http://www.westsidemag.co.uk/features-iron-maidens--10667

Kew Bridge Steam Museum. Not actually part of the Museum, two local blacksmiths rent the old forge on the site, and there are various other craftsmen there as well.

One of the smiths there runs courses; here's a report by somebody who went on one of them.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/my-first-tongs-day-tuition-10774/

I've met Kath, she did some work for me some years ago.

When I finally retire I'm moving up to Yorkshire, and then it's a question of finding a local smith who's looking for somebody to work with them a couple of days a week; there's a growing demand for this type of work, and there are more smiths around now than there were a few years ago.

While most types of metalworking tend to be male-dominated, quite a high proportion of blacksmiths seem to be women for some reason. I don't know why, but it's not a recent thing, around Dudley and Netherton where things like nails and chain used to be made when such things were made by hand light chain makers and nailsmiths were normally woman; men generally did the heavier work, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_LA_R4ifYk&feature=related

It's not only a job for women though; here's a (male) light chainmaker demonstrating at the Black Country Museum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRPos5uyy0A

I quite like the idea of doing things like decorative gates and railings. I did a bit of it when I was at school, but that was a long time ago now.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-26-2009 01:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine is a blacksmith who occasionally works the county fairs and historical reenactments. He showed me a few tricks.

Rule #1: Hot metal and cold metal often look exactly alike!

Rule #2: You WILL forget Rule #1.

[Wink]

Other tips:

Get your metal good and hot.

Swing your hammer hard. Don't "tappity-tap".
Try to do each step of your operation in one heat if you can.

Build a good rhythm. Tap your hammer against the anvil between beats. This knocks the slag off the hammer face, allowing you to work more efficiently. Besides, it makes a good sound "BING!-Tap!...BING!-Tap!...BING!-Tap!" If you can get a good ring out of your anvil you will attract spectators all the way from the other end of the fairground! [Wink]

I'm glad to hear somebody else is learning blacksmithing. It's a lost art that needs to be preserved.

Good luck! [Smile]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-26-2009 03:15 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Stephen!! You will enjoy it! My good friend is a blacksmith, we just finished a run at Corona, Ca for our Ren Fest there. Koroneburg Fest Click on "Regular Events"

Randy has it spot on with the Rules. [Smile] Watch out and be ready to burn yourself a few times. [Smile]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-26-2009 03:38 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds good!

I, myself, would like to try "bending" neon in my retirement! Louis

(Whatever, it is, it has to be retro. . . .maybe I'll just stay with film!)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-26-2009 05:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HA! I used to watch the blacksmith (Farrier) do my Horse's shoes... trim his hoofs and so on... Its VERY DIFFICULT! Especially when you have to sedate an agressive horse so you don't get killed doing it. You have to watch how the horse walks, learn how the horse SHOULD walk and then fit the shoes appropriately. No easy task. These guys are true artisaians...

Or do you mean that you'll just be banging on hot metal all day long? If so consider becomming a welder that makes iron type fensing. There is a huge demand for that stuff and I know someone that does it for a living. Pretty cool stuff.

quote: Louis Bornwasser
I, myself, would like to try "bending" neon in my retirement! Louis

Donno Louis... I heard a rumor that you already glow in the dark..

Good Luck!
Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-26-2009 10:14 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
I, myself, would like to try "bending" neon
Louis, you may remember Lori did that just before we moved to Louisville. It's great fun, and considerably more difficult than it looks. Takes some practice. [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-27-2009 12:18 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blacksmith work isn't easy.

Another comparable craft is neon tube bending. Yeah. Have LOTS of patience melting and bending glass without creating any leaks. Be very tolerant of burning the shit out of your fingers. Splice various pieces of glass together, again without creating any leaks. Then fill the glass with argon or neon and then bombard it with more voltage used in a death row electric chair! Big fun. Great times.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-27-2009 04:27 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kath replied to my e-mail last night; she's got a place available in August. I'll post some pictures of whatever I manage to make.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2009 01:14 AM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never wanted to be a projectionist, I wanted to be........... A LUMBERJACK!....

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-29-2009 03:34 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I never wanted to be a projectionist, I wanted to be........... A LUMBERJACK!....
Well, you're in the right country!

The thought did cross my mind that it sounded a bit like that, but in my case it would have to be:

I never wanted to be an I.T. technician, I wanted to be........... A LUMBERJACK!...., and there aren't many mighty rivers in Croydon.

I did have a habit of wearing a dress at one time, a blue 'Alice in Wonderland' one which belonged to a just slightly older, by a few months, tomboy friend of mine who wouldn't be seen dead in a dress of any sort if she could possibly avoid it, but that was when I was aged about 4. By the time I was 5 *I* wouldn't have been seen dead wearing a dress!

I am serious about wanting to be a blacksmith though.

Does anybody recognise the music of the Lumberjack Song? It seems to be based on something by Mozart, with a couple of extra notes inserted to make it fit the words.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2009 05:46 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be wrong but, I think that the music comes from Mozart's Don Giovanni.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-29-2009 07:10 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Hugh; I've been told the same thing by somebody else this morning, so this seems quite likely. I'm familiar with a lot of Mozart's works, but I don't think that I've ever heard 'Don Giovanni'. The piece concerned, or at least part of it, can be heard in 'Amadeus'. I suspect that, were he still alive, Mozart would not object to the use of his music by the Python team.

As people's everyday lives become more 'digital', 'virtual', 'automated' etc. there seems to be a big revival in the traditional manual skills in their spare time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: