Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The 48 Hour Film Project

Author Topic: The 48 Hour Film Project
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-25-2009 09:49 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We screened the local entrants for this worldwide event today. This is a movie making event.
The entrants must make a random drawing for the genre of their movie, a specific prop, line of dialog, and a character must appear in some form somewhere in the film. This year the prop for Richmond teams was a tomato, the line of dialog was "you can ask her yourself", and the character name was either Michelle Dooley or Michael Dooley.
Team representative went to the project office at 5:00 PM Friday of last week do draw the genre. They left at 6PM and had to turn in their finished video 48 hrs. later on Sunday at 6PM. Late arrivals and non playing videos are not accepted. All creative work must be done in that period.
Finished product must be between 4 and 7 minutes in length not including credits at either end. Credits are limited to 60 seconds for a max. of 8 minutes running time.
This year 38 teams completed.
Check the 48 Hour Film Project site, www.48hourfilm.com

Amazing how good most of them were.
This takes place in 70 cities across the globe.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-25-2009 11:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dallas does the 24 hour version of that every year.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-26-2009 12:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think 6 hours is perfect. Anything over is being generous.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-26-2009 01:53 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UC Irvine has a similar program called the "Mad Film Dash". About half are good, the other half are horrid.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-26-2009 02:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I plays the AFI/Silver each year as the "Washington DC" location.

quote: Brad Miller
Dallas does the 24 hour version of that every year.
Jeeeze...I thought EVERYTHING was supposed to be bigger in Texas!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-26-2009 08:28 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no 24 hour version.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-26-2009 08:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Providence version is at a theatre where I occasionally run film and video, though the 48-hour people have never seen fit to employ me for their show. I did watch it one year--there were a few good shorts, and most of the rest are watchable. Agreed with the comment that it is a surprise that there are so many good ones.

I'm not exactly sure what the point of the event is, but it seems that the people who are involved do have a good time with it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: