Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » FELICIA to hit Hawaii tomorrow

Author Topic: FELICIA to hit Hawaii tomorrow
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-09-2009 03:53 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hurricane Felicia is expected to directly hit Hawaii late tomorrow. The good news from wether forecasters is the storm should weaken to a tropical storm or a depression when it makes landfall over the big island of Hawaii and southern Maui about 8:00 tomorrow night. The entire state will be affected with heavy rain and blustery conditions at the time. Things should clear up by Thursday and hopefully with little or no property damage from the storm. Thank God, it will not be another Hurricane Iniki which ravaged the Island of Kauai and the west coast of Oahu on September 11, 1992 as a category four hurricane

-Claude.

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2009 05:34 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Landfall" There is no land to Hawaii. That hurricane will wear itself out trying to find that dinky place out there in the middle of all the water. Good luck Claude.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-09-2009 07:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hawaii the island and the state is not a dinky place with 'no land', Robert. The big island of Hawaii alone has a land mass of over four thousand square miles and still growing due to the continuing eruption of Kilauea volcano. I drove around it once and except for stopping for lunch and visiting Hawaii National Park, it took me almost twelve hours to make the trip. Thank you for your concern

-Claude

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2009 08:43 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kidding of course Claude. But did you ever see that place on a globe? I've got a daughter who'd like to take her husband and five children and move to Hawaii. She fell in love with the place when they visited. The only place I've visited outside the "Lower 48" was Tia Juana(sp), Mexico and Vancouver BC. You can keep Mexico. I'd love to live in Canada.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-09-2009 09:10 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be a small island, but I'd still love to own some land there. I would love to visit, but it's just too expensive. I think the price is justified, with the airfare and having to ship everything out there but I just can't afford it.

When I was at Neumade, I used to talk to a tech who would fly out of Calif to service projection equipment there. He agreed it was a major perk for the job!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2009 11:03 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the government is more concerned about the fallout of tourism from The Perfect Getaway or this hurricane?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-10-2009 02:31 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hurricane Felicia is now a Tropical Storm with 50mph wind and is expected to stay that way as it makes it's way up the Hawaiian island chain. The storm was originally tracked to move in a westerly direction over the island of Hawaii but it will now travel in a north westerly direction and will skirt the big island by one hundred miles and go directly over Maui and pass Molokai, Oahu, Kauai & Niihau between tomorrow and Wedesday and become a tropical disturbance once it clears Hawaii.

The storm is expected off the big island tonight at 8:00 but the weather so far here on Oahu at 9:18 am is gorgeous. It should start clouding up by this afternoon and start raining by tonight. The weather forecast for Oahu tomorrow calls for strong gusts and heavy rain all day. Because Hawaii has been in a drought, the rain from the storm will bring much relief to farmers and all of the counties Board of Water Supply but the state and all of the four county governments are very concerned about the possibility of severe flood damage caused by the storm.

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-12-2009 02:42 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been about two days since last posted my report about Tropical Disturbance Felicia. Thank God, it looks like Hawaii has been spared once again from the fury of a tropical hurricane. Because of cooler water around Hawaii this time of the year, a once powerful category 4 hurricane like Felicia hit the state with winds only less than 40 mph. The torrential rain and strong winds predicted for all the islands when Felecia hit the islands never happened. Yes, it did rain but only on the windward side (East) but it was very light. I live in leeward Oahu and weather was normal until early this morning when we got light showers. The sun is out again and the the weather is once again normal. We were lucky this time, but it is only a matter of time when another devastating Hurricane like Iniki in 1992 to
hit Hawaii again. The current storm season is far from over and it could still happen this year due to the fact that Inki hit us in November.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: