Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What development has had the greatest impact on the movie business? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What development has had the greatest impact on the movie business?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-27-2010 07:34 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious to hear thoughts on which of the following developments had the greatest impact on the dynamics of the movie business - positive or negative.

-Talkies
-Color
-Television
-Cinemascope and other wide screen formats
-Home video
-Cable TV
-The Internet
-DVD
-Current 3D
-something else not listed

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2010 07:58 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The talkie no doubt. Without it movies would of been a gimmick in the end.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-27-2010 09:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say television. With talking pictures as second.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-27-2010 09:39 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The platter, it allowed the creation and spread of the multi-plex.

You can add the Xenon bulb to that

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-27-2010 10:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He asked what affected the business. I'd say the xenon bulb because that begot platters which begot manager/operators as well as multiplexes. It changed the payscape drastically as well. But somehow theaters still can't afford to pay great wages despite dozens of screens and one guy to run them all.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 12:00 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Justin:

I'd say sound (in all its forms) is number one followed by 'scope. 3D as a distant third (only distant because producers seem to rely on the process rather than a good story line to carry the film).

Automation (and the xenon) has had a big impact but I disagree with Joe about it being a good thing. I think it has caused presentation to suffer.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-28-2010 04:19 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The S.M.P.T.E standards.

This alone made movies a world-wide phenomenon and therefore had the most influence.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-28-2010 06:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xenon lamp for sure is up there. It allows unattended operation. On the negative, it also was/is an inferior light source to what it replaced (carbon arc)...color temp has never been the same since.

For the record, platters have zero influence on the creation or expansion of the multiplex. I can have every bit as large a multiplex with changeovers as anyone with platters with as few or fewer operators to run it. In fact, I can set it up with even fewer operators.

Platters definitely had an impact...and though they could add a level of consistency to the operation, by and large, they have been used to lower the level of the presentation by falsely giving the impression little to no attention is needed to the operation. They have lead to the manager/operator notion that has lead to the generally crappy theatre presentation we "enjoy" today.

I agree that sound is probably at the top of the list, of added features and that standards is at the very top as it has meant that for over 100-years, all equipment works with the same media.

70mm is up there too. It single-handedly showed a way to vastly improved picture and sound...and that was over 1/2-century ago! Its lack of current use shows what kind of morons are running things nowadays. Films shot, edited, printed from 65mm would be vastly superior to what we are seeing at the moment, digital or film.

Oddly enough, I don't see DCinema up there but that is the single biggest change the industry has seen, next to sound. It has altered the entire financial structure for the exhibitor...the exhibitor that can't really afford their own equipment.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 06:45 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound -- allowed theatres to fire organists
Xenon -- allowed multiplexes to replace single screens, and allowed monkeys to replace projectionists.
Consumer Video -- as far as having the most significant impact, probably this one is the biggest because it totally changed the way films are distributed and marketed. It SERIOUSLY pulled the legs out from under the long engagements; it simply killed re-releases and then sat like a fat sow on the theatre's "magical" mystique.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-28-2010 09:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
For the record, platters have zero influence on the creation or expansion of the multiplex.
Wrong! Just because you or I or some other people might be able to handle a multiplex with changeovers doesn't mean that platters didn't have an influence on their creation. I'm not talking about a simple 2 or 3 screen, I'm talking 6+. I guarantee you that if changeovers were still in wide use and nobody had ever thought up the platter, we'd see a ton more theaters with fewer screens. Please note that I am not saying that is necessarily a bad thing.

But you do raise an interesting point. I want to see you run a 16-plex, one operator, 20 minute reels on each machine all day. No automation allowed other than lights down, lights up (or mid) and show end cues. And the operator must make less than $15 an hour to do all of this and be non-unionized. [Smile]

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-28-2010 09:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

There were 6+ screens running changeovers with single operators in many locations...heck AMC was even doing it!

As for running a multiplex all changeover...I'll do a 50-plex if you want with a single operator and never miss a changeover and always have it threaded in time...in fact always have it threaded. Just get the exhibitor to build the 50-plex!

Kinoton has been doing successful rewinding projectors for what? 30 years? Before the E projectors there was the Kinoton-Cross intermittents that did indeed function as a constant speed sprocket on reverse.

The projectors never need to be unthreaded between shows so there is no rethread and hence less operator intervention or problems. Build ups/tear downs would also go much faster than with platters and likely inflict less damage and MOST make up tables are pretty pathetic.

As for doing it on 20-minute reels and no automation...what a retarded statement...the means to use the longer than 20-minute reels and automation predate the platter by a long shot.

While platters were used to make mega-plexes...they were never a requirement and for a long time now increase employee time needed to tend to the booth over the changeover system. There is also no question, adding the second projector dramatically increases one's start up costs.

Steve

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 10:35 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm giving my vote to the Academy Awards. Started in 1929, it remains the most influential marketing scheme Hollywood has ever created. Without demand, nobody would have bothered to invent any of the previously mentioned technologies and the Academy Awards are the best at creating demand. It's not even limited to those who win or are nominated. There is no grander awards show for any other line of work in the world. Even the most exceptional technology can fail without proper marketing.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-28-2010 10:48 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you said that platters led to the manager/operator concept. Changeovers using 7Ks or whatnot and (reliable) automation and self-rewinding projectors would be even easier for manager/operators. All they'd have to do is rewind the film cleaners. No need for a projectionist at all. So you are saying that platters did as well as did not beget manager/operators. Also, by your own admission putting in a second projector drastically increases the start-up costs. Yet you also say that platters had absolutely nothing to do with the proliferation of multiplexes as we know them today. Sure, there were 6+ multiplexes before, but I imagine they were the exception rather than the rule.

Why are you trying to confuse my little brain, Steve? [Smile]

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-28-2010 11:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on Joe...there is nothing little about you!

As for platters being used to increase the multiplex...absolutely...it just wasn't a necessary item...the means existed before platter proliferation.

As for manager/operator on an automated 2-projector...sure it is easier that way and running a large plex regardless of which method without someone whos primary responsibility is to the presentation, is a flawed concept....Certainly automated changeover could have brought us here too...but platters took that charge and ran with it.

Steve

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 11:52 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
But somehow theaters still can't afford to pay great wages despite dozens of screens and one guy to run them all.
...and why is that? Why are so many of these companies so cheap? They obviously have the money to build these new multiplexes with all the granduer of an old movie house and then some. Some of the ones around here seem to be just a huge waste of money. Why have four snack bars that are never open? The biggest local multiplex has something like four or five snack bars and I have never seen one of them used except for the main entrance, even when I have been there on opening night for some very big films. [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: