Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Technicolor getting out of the film business? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Technicolor getting out of the film business?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 10:43 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the sentence I bolded....what does this mean for us film folks?

From Variety Article

Technicolor made its name providing color cameras and prints for such Hollywood hits as 1937's 'A Star is Born.' Now it hopes to return to its roots, supporting digital-age moviemaking.

Like an aging movie franchise in need of a box office jolt, Technicolor is getting a reboot.

The 95-year-old Hollywood lab and technology company is shedding subsidiaries, returning to its roots as an on-set technology provider, branching out into new areas, extending its brand to consumer products, moving into a new HQ -- even getting a new logo.

And amid all this activity, it's offering Hollywood a mea culpa for its own recent "arrogance" and promising a new openness in its dealings with the industry.

"We were relying on our legacy and relying on the studios to trust us," chief marketing officer Ah-mad Ouri told Daily Variety. "That's not enough."

An iconic name in the business, Technicolor was associated with the color process used widely in many celebrated films over three decades including "The Wizard of Oz," "Singin' in the Rain" and "Fantasia." For years, the company has been quietly transforming itself from a film-focused lab to a company providing all manner of digital services, including digital intermediate and visual effects.

But along the way, it also acquired a slew of peripheral businesses far afield from its core. That, along with parent company Thomson's initial drive to stress its own brand over Technicolor's, diluted the value and meaning of the Technicolor name.

So starting today, Technicolor is launching a multipronged plan to revive its brand in the professional and consumer arenas.

Shareholders of Thomson, Technicolor's French parent, will vote in Paris today on whether to change the name of the entire conglom to Technicolor.

The rebranding of the parent company and the refocusing of Technicolor represent a rare victory for Old Hollywood over the forces of globalization. Thomson bought Technicolor in 2001 for $2.1 billion, a third of that paid in Thomson stock, and quickly set about rebranding it as "Thomson Techicolor." But that rebranding effort is now being reversed, with the support of CEO Frederic Rose, and power is shifting to California.

Thomson is a respected electronics manufacturer and an important builder of set-top boxes. But, "We chose the Technicolor name because it's most relevant to content creators and distributors," said Ouri, as those sectors will be the new focus of the company. Dropped from the mix: services for retailers and exhibitors.

As a result, company is selling broadcast equipment maker Grass Valley, cinema advertising company Screenvision, point-of-sale advertising firm PRN and digital signage provider Convergent.

Company will get a new logo reflecting its move away from film services. It will be unveiled next month.

Technicolor already took a financial hit selling its consumer electronics businesses. However, Ouri says Technicolor has been a strong contributor to Thomson's bottom line, even while Thomson has struggled with massive debt.

Ouri, based in Hollywood, recently became chief marketing officer for the entire company, and Rose now visits from Paris at least once a month.

Technicolor also is returning to its roots in production support. While it no longer needs to send engineers to wrangle its giant three-strip film cameras, its plans stress products and services like its "DP lights" system, which brought a common color-correction language to movies and video for the first time.

Cinematographer Daryn Okada, former three-term prexy of the ASC, said: "I think that the company, from the top down now, is being very responsive to filmmakers. It's being run as a very creative endeavor."

Okada also hailed a shift in Technicolor's thinking. "They're not taking a wait-and-see approach; they're taking a proactive approach."

Ouri admitted the company had become "inwardly focused" and suffered from its own "arrogance," having ignored partnership opportunities. He promises the new Technicolor will be more open to partnerships and cooperation with other companies, including camera makers and software developers.

Techicolor will also move to become a consumer brand for the first time. Plans include "ingredient branding" -- a "Powered by Technicolor" label in the vein of "Intel Inside" -- for products that use the company's color science, such as Web video.

Though Technicolor's history extends back nearly a century, some in the post-production community complained that it no longer remembered its own history, and so couldn't consistently draw on its own experience to help solve problems.

"I don't disagree," responded Ouri, "That's one of my challenges, to bring that awareness back."

The company's new HQ at Sunset-Gower Studios is part of that plan.

Okada said the company's various facilities used to each have their own workflows, but "Now that they have one fantastic central facility, there's dialogue among these people now."

Ouri said the company will be drawing on some of its longtime staffers and technologists, such as senior VPs Tim Reynolds and Dana Ross, to rebuild the company's sense of itself.

"These people are here," he said. "You cut them and they bleed Technicolor."

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 10:52 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing new. The only thing I can read into above is they may at some point get out of the distribution business by selling or shutting down TES. Doesn't look like they plan to close the film labs until they become unprofitable.

> Techicolor will also move to become a consumer brand for the first time.

First time? Maybe. They tried it back in the early 1980's by licensing the Technicolor name to a number of consumer products such as camcorders and vcr's. I also vaguely remember a 8 or 16mm tabletop film viewer that used large film cartridges sold under the Technicolor brand name.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 01:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
I also vaguely remember a 8 or 16mm tabletop film viewer that used large film cartridges sold under the Technicolor brand name.

-

A Technicolor "Instant Movie" 810 Super 8 cartridge projector. Units were popular in schools in the mid to late '60s.

I got a good two dozen of these cartridges with this operating projector at a thrift store for 5 bucks.

-Monte

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 02:09 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a late version. The early ones were a sort of pink colour, and were for Standard 8mm film, for which the cartridges were clear, rather than blue. I still kept one of these old ones working, using parts taken from several others for the science department at the school where I used to work until shortly before I left there in 1989.

Unlike audio tape loops the film fed from the outside, and took up in the centre.

There was also a 400 foot sound version introduced in the early-mid '70s, but the only place I ever saw one was at an exhibition. I think it used optical sound, which was never very common on 8mm.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 04:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
There was also a 400 foot sound version introduced in the early-mid '70s, but the only place I ever saw one was at an exhibition. I think it used optical sound, which was never very common on 8mm.

Yes, I know what you're talking about. I found one of those large 400ft cartridges, once again at a thrift store, but with mag sound.

Took it down to a 400ft reel to play conventionally, but the mag track was recorded right close to the aperture - like 10 frames down - not the standard 21 frames away from the aperture. Thus, obviously a "bit" out of sync on playback...

-Monte

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2010 09:50 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor also did still photo processing and printing in the early 1970s.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2010 09:02 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to Variety article

quote:
Posted: Thu., Nov. 18, 2010, 3:04pm PT

Technicolor to shutter N. H'wood plant
Company to consolidiate printing operations in Canada

By David S. Cohen

Technicolor has confirmed plans to shutter its North Hollywood release printing plant and consolidate all North American release print operations in Mirabel, outside Montreal.

Employees were gathered this morning and told the news, then sent home for the day. However a company spokesman said many will be back at work as soon as tomorrow.

Technicolor will continue to provide all front-end, pre-release services, including dailies, in Los Angeles, but numerous layoffs are likely to result from the closure of the printing plant.

A Technicolor spokesman told Variety "The accelerating growth of digital technology plus the 2011 expiration of our lease at the North Hollywood location has caused us to reassess its cost structure in light of an anticipated decline in feature film volume requirements. With North American digital penetration now exceeding 30%, film print volume requirements do not require the operational capacity afforded by our two facilities, North Hollywood and Mirabel, for release printing."

With the shift of printing to Mirabel, Technicolor will no longer strike release prints in the United States.

Company has begun talks with its North Hollywood union reps "to review options, to establish a cost-effective operation, given the state and trajectory of the film business.

"Any future action on our part will be contingent upon the outcome of those discussions."

Contact David S. Cohen at david.cohen@variety.com

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-18-2010 09:10 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does this mean for Technicolor 3D?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-18-2010 10:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What it means is that handing this over to the goofy french canadians is that they will ruin the last tiny bit of quality that exists in Technicolor filum prints. Just like Toronto did with Deluxe. Hopefully Fotokem can latch onto the Imax stuff....

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-18-2010 10:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - I've had no issues with the prints coming from Technicolor in Canada.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-18-2010 11:17 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, the Canada Tech prints have all been excellent in my experience.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
What it means is that handing this over to the goofy french canadians is that they will ruin the last tiny bit of quality that exists in Technicolor filum prints. Just like Toronto did with Deluxe. Hopefully Fotokem can latch onto the Imax stuff....

Mark

Are you smokin that wacky weed again Mark? [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-19-2010 11:01 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I think it is a great move to re-brand parent company Thomspon into the far more recognizable Technicolor name, I don't know how this jockeying is going to help the new "all digital" company grow in the professional, pro-sumer and consumer market places of content creation and playback. Those sectors are already crowded with numerous vendors and competing standards.

Managing color seems like an obvious target for Technicolor. But numerous companies are already doing that in various areas. Some like Adobe, Apple, X-Rite/Pantone, Autodesk, etc. are very well established. Is Technicolor going to try developing products to compete with them or come up with some new technology to make those software/hardware "front ends" work better?

Thompson makes various kinds of electronics, but this deal makes it sound like they will be making fewer items (with spinning off companies like Grass Valley Group). Is Technicolor going to try to work with various manufacturers of digital still cameras, video cameras and video projectors and HDTV sets to make color capture and display more consistent? Or will Technicolor just come up with another competing food chain of products?

I guess I'm having trouble figuring how the existing problem Technicolor is trying to solve to justify this new company direction.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-19-2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any time I hear of a company plotting "a new direction" it reminds me of a scene in the movie "Spinal Tap."

quote:
"You are witnesses at the rebirth of Spinal Tap, Mark II. Hope you enjoy our new direction."
And any Tap fan knows how THAT turned out! [Big Grin]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2010 02:19 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think it's best just to stay for the puppet show.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-19-2010 10:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, Only time will tell. Not all prints are made there right now and Technicolor has always done decent quality work. But dump the rest of the print production on them and we'll see what happens. While Technicolor says the building lease is up I;'m thinking more like there may be EPA or State of CA. issues with an older facility like it was. Too costly to update. DeLuxe went to the birds shortly after it all went to Toronto.

quote: Bobby Henderson
Is Technicolor going to try developing products to compete with them or come up with some new technology to make those software/hardware "front ends" work better?

Bobby... you should see the new Technicolor Digital Facility in Hollywood. It would blow your mind! It's where much of the digital work is being done on movies and they are constantly developing new stuff and new software. The data storage system there is something on the order of 20 petabytes of storage. It was almost half filled last May! Plenty of expansion room for more... I've never seen so many drive bays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: