Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Are you gonna get an iPad? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Are you gonna get an iPad?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 02:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apple's newest big thing, the iPad, will be released in March.

I think it's fairly cool looking but most of my computing tends to be at-the-desk; if I'm "on the go" I'm probably driving. Other than that, I'm not sure what I'd do with one but admittedly I haven't boned up on all the features yet.

Anyone going to get one? What are you going to use it for?

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 03:00 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Anyone going to get one? What are you going to use it for?
Is this Apple's version of a maxi-pad?

(Sorry had to go there)

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-28-2010 03:02 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.

Saving the money for some valves (tubes) for my RCA's.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 03:19 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No keyboard, no real Mac OS X (just the iPhone OS). Why? Even the smallest cheapest laptops do more than this thing, even if you have to run Windows on it.

I can't see this new large iPod Touch doing anything that a laptop couldn't do better.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 03:37 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't own a computer, and this won't be the one I buy either.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 03:45 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it. I don't have a lot of use for a laptop as it is, but I would have even less use for a device with less functionality than a laptop.

If it had an integrated DVD drive, then it might be something to consider as it would make it easy to watch movies while traveling.

If it were to add full word processing capabilities and a few other features, then I might think about it. But for $500 I could just buy a lap top.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-28-2010 04:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way.

I agree with everything that Evans stated. I'd also add that for the price of an entry level iPad ($500), you could get a screamin' netbook. Even the $300 ones are really good. They can also run more than one app at a time, can look at websites with Flash, have real USB interfaces, run a real OS and you can install pretty much anything you want on them.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 04:02 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the first round of jokes:
http://jezebel.com/5458338/that-time-of-the-month-the-internets-best-period+related-ipad-jokes

tjakabon: "It surfs the web AND stops the bleeding."

Gelatobaby: And you can use the giant QWERTY keyboard to get your period on the #iPad!

CarolBlymire: Is #apple making an iPad for light-flow days? Just wondering...

Trish1981: iPad? Really? All I can say is, I'm sticking with Always, bitches.

tremendousnews: So I can say "That chick is on her iPad" and not be called a pig? Thank you Apple.

melissapierce: iPad has changed "the conversation" from how we use tech in context to how we use tech as Kotex. (who named this thing?)

TwittsMcGee: I haven't heard this many period jokes since I was forced to watch The View last month. #iPad

kathycacace: Okay, just one more. The iPad: protecting your data from embarrassing incidents.

Johnpapa: "64 gig iPad will forever be known as the heavy flow model."

From the comments section of "Period Pieces":

lady_justice: Did the prototype come with a belt?

Lymed: Does the Period Tracker app come free?

fauxfruit: If I order this, will my boyfriend and I have to worry if it comes late?

andBegorrah: If you and your friends all buy one, will they sync up?

boston_nj: Meh. I'll wait until they come out with the iDivaCup

morninggloria: Don't wear white jeans while using an iPad, and especially don't use an iPad in front of your crush. You're a teen magazine embarrassing moment waiting to happen.

ms negative the easy-going unicorn: someone needs to make a 'mysterious blue liquid stain on white' wallpaper for this.

LilSpitfire: Later in the year they will be releasing the companion tablet pen, the Ipon.

Vesuvius At Home (I believe in peace, bitch): But what if the cute boys see me shopping for one? What if my dad has to take me??

NellMood: It's so beautiful when an electronics company finally becomes a woman...

Cinnamoncanuck: @NellMood: Aunt Flo will be so happy! Reply

soykatrina: Eh, I prefer the CVS brand. A few bucks less but does the same thing...

vlvtjones: So will iffy Wifi coverage be called iSpotting?

morninggloria: Can I get a scented iPad for when my data feels not-so-fresh?

Mary McCarthyite: Everyone, just try to Stay(free) calm and Poise(d). It's Always nice to see a new product on the market. I Depend on Apple to come up with great ideas. Maybe we're taking this out of Kotex.

Lymed: Somebody give the iPad a Red Bull, because it ain't no good without wings.

andBegorrah: Are you there, God? It's me, Marketing.

NellMood: iPads are for 8th graders. I'm waiting for the iTampon, because I prefer to do all my interneting from inside my vagina.

BicSharpie: Hopefully it will help people deal with the 24-hour news cycle.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-28-2010 05:01 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I also agree with everything that Evans said. This whole Apple maxipad thingie is Job's last hurrah.

I hear the next big thing for Apple to continue with their diversification/expansion into new markets is a urinal... the iPee.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 05:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you want to bet its name gets changed before release date?

I think iTab would be better. (as in tablet)

Alex Edwards
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 05:35 PM      Profile for Alex Edwards   Email Alex Edwards       Edit/Delete Post 
Sketch show making fun of iPad years before actual release

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 05:50 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a cover for the screen, it looks like it would be too easy to damage. Without a keyboard, it's nothing more than an oversized iphony. It will not fit in your pocket.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 05:51 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't own a computer,
Then how are you using Film-Tech, you moocher! [Smile]

I was impressed by the Apple presentation and it looks like a nifty device. But then I literally did the math. I think 32GB would be my minimum wish and for $600 I can have a lot more than what an iPad will offer. In fact, for free I already have an iPod and a laptop with Wi-Fi and a pocket PC... so I think I'm covered except for that fact that kids will never think I'm totally cool.

quote: Mike Blakesley
What do you want to bet its name gets changed before release date?

In fact, there's already a dispute about the name because another company has a trademark. A similar situation happened with the iPhone. Money may cure the problem or Apple might actually decide the iPad name is lousy. My wife laughed out loud when I told her the name... before I realized there was anything wrong with the name.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 05:58 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The iPad is the kind of thing the word "meh" was invented for. No multitasking, no tethering, no upgradeable memory, no Flash capability. Plus, the only data plan so far is from AT&T, a overburdened system already on the point of collapse just from the iPhone. Maybe in a few years, not now.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 06:03 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Too much DRM. AND it uses the already troubled ATT network.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: