Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » hhot butt Jarret: How to be a dad. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: hhot butt Jarret: How to be a dad.
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-14-2010 10:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: hhot butt Jarret
How to be a dad. I have 5 and a half months of freedom left! What do I do? what do I need to do? HELP?!?!?!?

Congrats Jarret! I have 3 boys and 2 girls and they are all precious to me!

Mine are in their 20-30's now and have done the college thingie... big time bux for me. But, it's worth it! They are great and productive citizens....plus they are really nice people.

|  IP: Logged

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2010 01:22 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my only advice is to relax, take a few deep breaths. I love being a dad and after being in the delivery room all I can say is that we males have the easy job. Enjoy.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2010 10:29 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Cameron. I hate blood and guts and have a pretty weak stomach, but being in that delivery room was very surreal. It was all happening so fast but we had been to the lamaze classes (I highly recommend this because they prepare you for what you will see) so I knew what to expect. I thought I might not be able to cut the cord but I did it without even thinking. In fact, the doctor and nurse had to stop me because I was so excited and went to cut it and they said it might spray so they covered it with theirs hands before I cut it.

I love being a dad and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is one of the most fulfilling experiences I have ever had. Nothing beats when I come home from work and I see him run to the door to meet me with a big smile on his face. Even if I just had the worst day that cheers me right up. He can also say "daddy" very clearly now too and I love it.

I highly recommend going to any lamaze classes that you can and maybe even a daddy boot camp. I went to a daddy boot camp put on by the hospital and it was very helpful. Other new dads who were previous students brought their kids (one was a stay-at-home dad with triplets!) so you could hold them and get used to it and they shared their experiences and advice. They also show you how to change diapers and do daily baby care things. They also address concerns that you may have and how to help your wife/girlfriend through the post partum period. After I saw the guy handling three children by himself, I figured I could handle one okay. When Will was born, I jumped right in at the hospital confidently changing diapers and caring for him since I had been to the classes. It was very helpful for Hollie since she could rest and recover. She didn't even change a diaper until he was a week old.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-15-2010 02:45 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron and Josh: Your posts are right on target! [thumbsup]
quote: Cameron Glendinning
...after being in the delivery room all I can say is that we males have the easy job.
...in the creation and the delivery. [Big Grin]
quote: Joshua Waaland
I thought I might not be able to cut the cord...
Yeah, I was a little squeamish at that too. [Eek!] But it is symbolic of the life-long bond between you and your kid.

The cutest/fun years are when they are 5-12 year olds. The most challenging years are when they are 13-18 year olds.

But, in general, ALL ages are GREAT and each present unique challenges as well as enjoyment.

Again, congrats Jarret. Your life will change. You will be fine...enjoy it all.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2010 11:13 AM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very excited about the whole thing. I'm pretty nervous about it all, I've never cared for an infant before, but it sounds like most people dive in with their own kids and handle it well.
We're planning on attending any parenting type classes available for us locally (I'm pretty sure i've never changed a diaper before...). I've also hit up the online book store to buy books on the topic. I know that sounds a little silly, but I know so little I'll look at whatever I can get my hands on.

Seeing as how my free time probably won't exist soon I've been working on projects around the house to get everything ready. I'm also trying to squeeze in as much xbox as I can, I have a feeling that it won't be turned on for a few years after baby comes lol.

thanks for your support guys!

Keep sending tips for a noob like me [Smile]

Sincerely,

Hhot Butt Jarret

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2010 12:26 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarret Chessell
I am very excited about the whole thing. I'm pretty nervous about it all, I've never cared for an infant before, but it sounds like most people dive in with their own kids and handle it well.
We're planning on attending any parenting type classes available for us locally (I'm pretty sure i've never changed a diaper before...). I've also hit up the online book store to buy books on the topic. I know that sounds a little silly, but I know so little I'll look at whatever I can get my hands on.

Seeing as how my free time probably won't exist soon I've been working on projects around the house to get everything ready. I'm also trying to squeeze in as much xbox as I can, I have a feeling that it won't be turned on for a few years after baby comes lol.

Definitely take the classes. I fought it but my wife wanted to take them. They were a little boring at times, but by the end I felt much more comfortable caring for him.

One of the things that helped calm my nerves was the lamaze teacher took 15-16 people from the class and stood them up around one of the women in a chair. She did this to show how many people would be in the room within seconds if something were to complicate things and they had to do a c-section. Each person represented all of the different doctors that would be there (surgeon, anesthesiologist, nurses, etc.). She said it can be very frightening and overwhelming when all of these people rush in the room and make you worry that something is drastically wrong but that everything will be okay and they are highly trained for this. I can't imagine how frightening that would be to someone who hasn't taken a class and does not know what is happening. I pictured Lamaze to be 10 classes of breathing techniques but it was so much more than that. You get to watch videos of births to get used to everything that will happen and what you will see. I was very calm in the delivery room because I knew what was going on as they did everything because of the class. The doctor had to use a vacuum on Will's head to get him out which would have scared the hell out of me if I hadn't seen one that was passed around the class and learned about it.

The one book that most women read is "What to Expect When You're Expecting" which is chock full of great info. Also "Hit the Ground Crawling" is one that I found helpful for dad's that i got free when I went to the Daddy Boot Camp .

DEFINITELY get all of your home improvements done now while you can. Your free time as you know it will go bye-bye for a few years at least. I am trying to get my son's room ready as he is moving from a crib to a big boy bed and it's moving at a snails pace since he requires so much of our time. He also is getting to the age where he wants to help and he gets out his plastic hammer to copy everything that daddy is doing. It' cute but it makes it very hard to get anything done with him in the way.

Actually the x-box might come in handy when your baby gets to be a toddler since they love to see the cause and affect of something they do. It's good for their brain as well since it develops fine motor skills. My son loves to play on the computer and has since he was 18 months old or so. There are online games that they can play that make things happen on screen when they push keyboard buttons. Remember these links because they will be your friend in a year and a half, trust me. Knee Bouncers & Baby Gamer. They keep him busy for a few minutes when I need to get something done. Also the Nick Jr. channel is great when you need to get a moment. I don't like him to watch too much tv, but Nick Jr. is perfect for when I need to get the dishes done or something. He loves Yo Gabba Gabba!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-18-2010 01:31 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Jarret, hot tip:

If you have a boy, make sure you put a cloth over his private parts when changing his diaper or bathing him...else you might get a facial... [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2010 06:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, don't take the kid to any movies until he or she is around 5. [Big Grin]

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 10:31 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I hear I was an expert at that back in my prime [Big Grin]

I've been pretty busy trying to get the house together. Throwing stuff out, making room... fixing things that i've put off since buying the house. My favourite so far has been picking out paint colours for the kids room, which we still haven't picked, but I ended up moving a wall?? go figure.

I probably won't take a kid to the movie until they're old enough to behave, however, I do want to get them all hyper and follow Brad around the country on his airline adventures (I know he'd love that). [Wink]

My wife has a whole stack of books for me to check out. I am reading one now specifically for the dad to be. Interesting stuff. I am getting a little more nervous as the days go by.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 09:10 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about it Jarret, you will do fine and be a great dad. [thumbsup]

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 10:25 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Jarret - I offer two simple pieces of advice...

1. Spend as much time as you can with the little angel.

2. Remember when he/she is a teenager and driving you crazy that you will treasure those moments as much as any when they have grown and left the nest. It helps to try to keep a sense of humor about it.

Congratulations - you are about to embrace the most important and rewarding responsibility of your life. Though I am glad that part of my life is behind me I can't help but envy you a bit.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-19-2010 01:10 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Tommassello
Remember when he/she is a teenager and driving you crazy that you will treasure those moments as much as any when they have grown and left the nest. It helps to try to keep a sense of humor about it.
[thumbsup]

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2010 12:20 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maxwell Chessell. August 17th @ 3:52pm.
8lbs 1oz.

I'll have him running a booth in no time [Smile]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-19-2010 01:07 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Jarret!!

All my best wishes to you and your wife. [thumbsup]

I have no kids so I can't offer any advice though.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2010 06:07 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Jarrett. The best thing you can give children is yourself. And make sure they are given a good moral foundation to build their life on. I was blessed with nine children (6 boys and 3 girls) and wore out two wives getting them. I changed diapers on every one of them. They now range in age from 30 to 56.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: