Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I ain't dead yet, you bushwhacker!: Boxoffice nearly $30 billion

Author Topic: I ain't dead yet, you bushwhacker!: Boxoffice nearly $30 billion
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 11:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So from this article we learn two things:

- "The single screen theater is nearly dead, making up just 4% of the nation's theaters." Well they could have worded THAT differently. Instead of "nearly dead" I would have preferred "less common." I'll bet in 10 years, the same 4% of us will still be kicking unless we get buried in some fashion by the digital revolution.

- All that crap about movie tickets being too expensive was apparently just a lot of talk, as people clearly don't mind paying a huge premium for 3-D films.

3-D screens lead box office to record $29.9 billion last year
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY http://www.usatoday.com

LOS ANGELES — Worldwide box office reached an
all-time high last year of $29.9 billion, driven by a
slew of digital and 3-D screens that are bringing in
record repeat business — and driving up ticket
prices.

The Motion Picture Association of America's annual
study of film attendances paints a rosy outlook for
the movie business, an industry that has flourished
in the recession as families look for cheaper forms
of entertainment.

Moviegoing worldwide leapt almost 8% last year,
mirroring the 10% spike in the U.S. box office in
2009. The surge came despite an economic spiral
that shuttered production on many films. The study
says that 793 movies were released domestically last
year, a 12% decline from the 896 movies in 2008.

But 3-D films helped make up the difference.
According to the study, 3-D movies constituted 11%
of all business last year, compared with 2% in 2008.
Those funny glasses helped rake in $1.1 billion in
ticket sales last year, a 375% increase from the year
before.

Hollywood is responding with a larger slate of
high-tech flicks. Studios cranked out 20 3-D films
last year, compared with eight in 2008.

"The future of this business is digital (screens) with
3-D capability," says Bob Pisano, president of the
MPAA. "That's very clear from all the evidence we
have. People are flocking to see movies in 3-D and,
frankly, they are willing to pay a premium for it."

Indeed, ticket prices saw their largest jump in eight
years, fueled in part by 3-D films, which can cost
more than $15 a ticket. In 2009, the average cost of
a movie ticket was $7.50, a 4.4% increase from last
year.

Among the study's other findings:

•Moviegoers 24 and younger buy nearly half of the
movie tickets sold in the USA and Canada.

•Women bought 55% of movie tickets sold last year.

•Multiplexes (eight to 15 screens) make up the most
U.S. theaters, constituting 46% of movie houses. The
single-screen theater is nearly dead, making up just
4% of the nation's theaters.

"We've said for decades our industry is recession-
proof," says Bob Sunshine, managing director for
ShoWest, the annual convention of theater owners
that begins Monday.

Sunshine credits films such as The Hangover, The
Blind Side and Paranormal Activity with quietly
propelling ticket sales last year.

"You're always going to have great tent poles, but
you have to give a lot of credit to the smaller hits,"
he says. "It's what the people turn to in this
economy. We're really fortunate to be in the position
we're in."

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2010 03:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like the ROXY plans to stay in business for a very long time - as long there are movies that needs to be played and as long as studios will strike film prints along with people walking through those doors and want to be entertained .....

Course, I do trust that Mike will keep that "event" atmosphere going for the ROXY no matter what is presented on his screen.

Then, when the time comes where he can invest into digital with 3D and still be in the black, he'd be so far ahead of the game that he can establish a 'launching pad' of sorts for single screen owners to take advantage of the DCI medium and prove that single screens are just as good as the 'big box' cinemas.

My kudos as always. - Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-11-2010 11:25 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
when the time comes where he can invest into digital with 3D and still be in the black,
Well, that IS the big question!

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2010 05:04 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DirecTv will launch 3 full time 3D/HD channels this June. They plan to upgrade existing HD receivers via a code push to support 3D. ESPN will launch a 3D channel later this summer. My guess is that by this time next year, or the year after at the latest, only theatres will think 3D is a special event, worthy of charging extra.

Ultimately, I still think the 3D fad is going to eventually tank, especially in the home market. People don't like wearing glasses and people won't like paying $100 for extra or replacement glasses for their home television.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2010 05:57 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best buy has their glasses listed currently at 150$ [Razz]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-11-2010 06:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bob Pisano
"The future of this business is digital (screens) with
3-D capability," says Bob Pisano, president of the
MPAA. "That's very clear from all the evidence we
have. People are flocking to see movies in 3-D and,
frankly, they are willing to pay a premium for it."

What an asshole. 3-D is a fad, has been a fad in the past and will always be a fad. People will soon enough get sick of seeing the usual Hollywood [bs] [puke] stories "just because they're 3-D."

Digital will kill this industry in short order, mainly due to the fact that those who have invested in 2k machines now are facing (forced?) upgrades to 4k, then when 8k comes out, the 4k machines will have to be replaced, then when the 16k machines come out......

And you'll still have all the problems with faulty media stuttering, freezing or locking up, the KDM hassles, yada yada....

I'll either be retired or dead before film is thankfully.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-13-2010 11:38 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And not for nuthin, but once the public sees that stuttering, freezing or shows canceled because playback can't be recovered, it won't take them long to make the connection that they are watching the same kind of digital anomolies they suffer with at home -- stuttering, freezing or DVDs that just stop and can't recover. That might have a fairly deleterious, psychological impact -- "Hey, they're just running a damn DVD. Why should we pay for this when we have the same thing at home?"

I ran a DVD video show and naturally you have to deal with cuing at the start if the movie instead of the gack up front, which I did, but they as the house lights dimmed, the player reverted to STOP, and now under pressure I had to cue it up again. I don't know how many times I railed at Swank that if they are going to charge $500 to play an old DVD title, the very least they should do is make CLEAN copies that can be dropped in the player and which will play from the first frame of the FILM. To no avail.

But I digress -- what happened at this particular show was that when I cued it up the second time with only seconds before it was to hit the screen, what came up was not the Walt Disney Pictures logo, but the Walt Disney Home Entertainment logo, basically telling the audience that they had just bought a ticket to watch a home video DVD of a title they could get for a buck at RedBox or Netflix. The displeasure was palpable -- some people actually walked out. You can fool some of the people some of the time.....

No one wants to feel like they are paying more for something they can get cheaper....MUCH cheaper. And as the studios keep shrinking the cinema-to-video window time-frame, and more and more people are going to be watching pretty impressive HDTVs in their homes, they may display less and less love for theatres if they perceive that they will be able to get the same or better presentation experience at home rather than at a movie theatre. And without the pesky danger of being stabbed in the neck with a beef thermometer.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-13-2010 02:07 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your pain Frank. We just ran a week of a new (Academy Short Listed) documentary on DVD (no film format made). They sent two copies, which I scanned before showing. Alas, we discovered on opening night both had a defect at the 31 minute mark that caused them to freeze. AND, if you hit the Skip button, they both reverted to the beginning of the film. All week, all we could do was be prepared for that moment and hit Next Chapter. The audience missed about a minute and a half, but no one complained. Fortuneately, the movie died painfully anyway, so not many were there to witness our humiliation.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 04:20 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the single screen is dead, they should also talk to Richard Wolf (another Roxy) in North Hampton, Pa. Richard- have you read this?

My sister lives close to his theatre and raves about it. I've sworn that I have to get out there some day to see his place and talk to him.

There's another in my area- The Beach Cinema in Belmar NJ where Film-Tech member Gary Crawford works. That single screen is doing ok, too.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 05:03 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
That might have a fairly deleterious, psychological impact -- "Hey, they're just running a damn DVD.
Nah, they already think that. I get asked quite often if I can back up the movie when they are the only ones attending the show and come in late.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 11:51 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Witnessed [dlp] failure first hand for opening weekend of Alice: several shows canceled due to some sort of audio issue in the 3D house. The 35mm print I saw ran without a hitch.

The movie, however, still sucked.

Regardless, I hope 3D dies a most painful death. Avatar losing the Best Picture was but a step in its demise.

I also started thinking: if a director is making a given film, and it is released in 3D: is that the way they feel it is best seen or are they making it with 2D in mind first and adding the 3D later at the behest of a studio?

Hell, Up was WAY better in 2D than 3D. I have a feeling Toy Story 3 will be the same.

AJG

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-14-2010 06:50 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, studio execs don't have reputations as being slutty money whores for nothing -- if they get the chance to pressure producers and directors to make a project in 3D as opposed to 2D because they know they can wring an extra $4 per ticket, it's a temptation me thinks they will be almost incapable of resisting.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: