Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » James Cameron is the new George Lucas

Author Topic: James Cameron is the new George Lucas
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-15-2010 11:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
link

quote:
(March 15) -- In a final scene of "Titanic," Kate Winslet promises Leonardo DiCaprio she'll "never let go." Apparently, neither will James Cameron.

Bolstered by his 3-D box office record-breaker "Avatar," the Oscar-winning director plans to sail "Titanic" again, confirming he will rerelease the 1997 blockbuster using the magic of his new favorite technology, 3-D.

"We're targeting spring of 2012 for the release (of a 3-D version of 'Titanic'), which is the 100-year anniversary of the sailing of the ship," Cameron told USA Today.

The rerelease will allow fans to see the epic sinking of the Titanic (not to mention Winslet's nude scene) through new eyes, but, ever the perfectionist, Cameron points out the technology won't compare to that of "Avatar" because "Titanic" was not shot in 3-D.

"It's never going to look as good as if you shot it in 3-D," he warned. "But think of it as a sort of 2.8-D."

Cameron broke the $1.8 billion global box office record he set with "Titanic" with his decade-long labor of love, "Avatar," released in December. The film so massive it even features its own language has earned more than $2.6 billion worldwide and more than $730 million domestically. "Titanic" 3-D will give Cameron another chance to beat his toughest competition -- himself -- at the box office.

Not that he's satisfied.

Cameron is also planning to rerelease "Avatar" this fall in the form of a director's cut.

"It's kind of gotten stomped out [of cinemas since the release] of 'Alice in Wonderland,' " he lamented to USA Today. "The word we're getting back from exhibitors is we probably left a couple of hundred million dollars on the table as a result."

Clearly Cameron has joined forces with Lucas in sucking every last dollar out of his movies that he can. I can hardly wait for the "new digital effects" in the Titanic release (because you just KNOW they will be added). [puke]

Ok Claude, how much do you predict the Avatar re-release will bring in and how much do you predict Titanic 3D will bring in?

Grrrrr, enough with the 3D already! I would be very happy to see a re-release of Titanic in 2D, but this conversion crap is...well, crap. [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-15-2010 11:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cameron is also planning to rerelease "Avatar" this fall in the form of a director's cut.
Then what was the movie we saw? Was he not the director? Was the movie not already overlong?

quote:
The film [Avatar] is so massive it even features its own language
WOW!!! Holy fuck, man! Is the movie really THAT amazing? No way! I can't believe all of the work that must have taken! OH MY GOD! Next thing you know they'll be putting as much effort into it as a typical episode of Star Trek The Next Generation. Wow. EPICNESS. The epicness is epic.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-16-2010 12:05 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic will be in "3D" or "2.8D"?

It might be interesting to see what sort of job the 3D Artists do with inflating Kate Winslet's natural tits into 3D space. Will they have natural, jiggly 3D volune? Or will they resemble National Geographic tribal flat tits!? We shall see!

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 03-16-2010 12:28 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait til after these releases when Jesus H Cameron decides to combine the two and produces Titavitar. It's not too far away judging by the above story.

Just think, Kate Winslet's character gets the Smurfcat treatment AND Anti native flabby/gravity defying/3d-ified tits in Feel-A-Rama all the while the ship of the title shoves it's funnels in your face.

Oh Goody.

So Avatar was "pushed" from cinemas, eh?

Just wait for the reason being not enough 3D screens and a renewed heavy push for more digital screens, still at the exhibitor's expense...nevermind that Fox is a holdout for the T3D film based system.

Welcome to Cynicism in 3D.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2010 12:35 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So...the 3D Titanic will be released to theaters the Spring of The Year the Earth is Supposed to Come to An End. Lovely.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-16-2010 01:17 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I even finished reading the article at the top of this thread, I knew there would be a Bobby Henderson Kate-Winslet's-tits joke coming up.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-16-2010 09:17 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is any justice in the world (and there isn't) Cameron will follow the Cohen Brothers lead with Blood Simple and release Director's Cuts of these overly long movies that are shorter.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-16-2010 03:02 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Before I even finished reading the article at the top of this thread, I knew there would be a Bobby Henderson Kate-Winslet's-tits joke coming up.

Bobby's a tit man...I can live with that. [thumbsup]

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2010 04:07 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - when people see him they say "You're a boob, man!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: