Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Technics SL-10 Turntable

Author Topic: Technics SL-10 Turntable
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-17-2010 11:17 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been given an SL-10 and it seems to work very well indeed mechanically at least...except that there's no sound coming out of it. How do you get these apart to take a look inside? I have undone the four screws next to the turntable, but I don't want to force anything and it seems there may be more to undo but I can't see it.

-  -

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-17-2010 11:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mechanic wise, it's okey - wonder if the cartridge preamp circuitry has bit it, or leads from the cartridge itself ... as you say - wanting to find out how to rip the thing apart.. Linear drive turntables are very touchy animals by themselves.

I have a SONY linear turntable that I had to baby and adjust to get the tonearm to track accurately .... - monte

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-17-2010 11:40 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a beaut, Monte. Heavy bugger though...weighs 6kg (13lbs).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2010 12:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa... I used to repair those when I was a bench tech for Panasonic!

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-18-2010 11:23 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to sell those. It was one of the most fun products to demonstrate. You could pick it up, set it on its side, etc. while it was playing. People would look at it in amazement, but then buy a regular one due the price, I suppose.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-18-2010 02:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a wiki page on the unit.

Quite an elaborate unit being compared to the Bang and Olfsen and the Marantz units..

And by the content of this Wiki discussion, I bet that the cartridge preamp, which is required due to having a moving coil cartridge intead of the more conventional moving magnet cartridge is used, had gone kaput on this unit.

-Monte

-Monte

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2010 03:00 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a new Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct Drive Professional turntable (a birthday gift from my wife.)

After connecting it, I couldn't get sound until I found an almost invisible pre-amp slide switch hidden in the rear, in the default "off" position for those using an external pre-amp.

Turned "on", it works beautifully.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 05:27 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gerard

Any switches on it have been switched, but thanks for the advice. I have found a repair place that'll do a free quote so I'm going to take it there.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2010 10:05 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I use an SL-J3 and the cover is released with four plastic rivets that come apart in 3 pieces, does the 10 have these. The 10 was the king of the Technics jacket size linear trackers, so maybe the build is a little better than the J3.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: