Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Company reading company issued phone text messages. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Company reading company issued phone text messages.
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-17-2010 11:17 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a goodie to share:

I know of an employee who was issued a cellphone by this employee's company. The employee was given the freedom to use the phone for whatever - in both text and call.

This employee was using the cellphone to do text messaging to a non-employee friend.

This employee was in communication, via text, of a situation that happened at work that was rather confidental to the non-employee.

In the middle of their text communication, a representative of the company sent a text to the employee, warning that the content that the two are in communication with, contains rather confidental information that shouldn't be discussed to the non-employee.

The employee suddenly went ballistic that a privacy issue has suddenly been invaded.

The employee suddenly called up the non-employee that their text discussion was being monitored and the content of the text messages were being read by the representative and mention the warning from the representative to the employee. Thus, the non-employee went ballistic and said that the "Invasion of Privacy" has been violated whom stated that "even my messages have been observed and read by that employee's company."

This was taken place without concent or notification by the employer. Also, none of the employees were told that any text conversation between two parties-both of employee to employee or employee to non-employee-was going to being monitored and read by the employer.

A definite case of "Invasion of Privacy"

..is this a legal, or an illegal act by the company to perform this practice to monitor and read the content of their employee's, that were issued cellphones, text messages?

-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-17-2010 11:24 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it technically may depend on weather or not it is in fact a text message. With blackberries and iphones, email has largely replaced texting. If the conversation was being had over email, then the employer is in the right. If it was via text message, then its a little gray. The recent fiasco with the schools that sent home monitored laptops may make for some interesting precedent here.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-17-2010 11:25 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends. But I'm gonna bet that if it goes to court, the company will win.

quote: Mike Olpin
If the conversation was being had over email, then the employer is in the right.
Not so sure. The only way they could even possibly read email is if it was sent from their servers and arguably could be accessible by the company. Plus, I've known of cases where companies suspected someone (but didn't know who) was giving away secrets and only through analyzing weird patterns in emails found the culprit (in one case it was where someone had been embedding corporate documents into a picture that was sent out as an attachment). And those companies didn't get in trouble for monitoring their own email systems.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-17-2010 11:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's totally understandable with company email systems - that's usually the norm with large companies checking on what each location is doing...

The phones issued are just simple flip celphones.. no fancy internet phones. Thus, text messaging is the norm since the phone plan offers unlimited text messaging.

thx-Monte

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-17-2010 11:46 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was assuming since most corporate blackberries and iphones are tied in via a company owned Microsoft Exchange server, that in fact it ought to be expected that email is monitored.

A friend of mine has two email accounts on his blackberry. I have been instructed only to use the company one (myfriend@hisemployer.com) for business, since the IT department can monitor it.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-17-2010 11:48 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, at least Blackberry Enterprise Server has a feature which allows for logging text messages (sms). And the issue here is that someone could argue that company-issued gives them the right to monitor the stuff, since it is their property. And it also depends on what terms were given to him that you describe as him being allowed to use it for whatever. He might be communicating something to you that's not entirely accurate.

And I'm sure other similar corporate phone servers have a similar feature.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2010 01:30 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it stands right now it is a privacy violation, but pending the outcome of this case Quon v. Arch Wireless that could change.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-18-2010 01:46 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the Supreme Court chose not to hear the case, leaving the appeal's court decision as standing, it won't necessarily apply to this case. That's because the appellete court made their decision based primarily "on a statement by the officer in charge of the text messaging program to the SWAT officer that the Department would not review his text messages if he voluntarily paid any overage charges resulting from excessive personal use."

And that's different from the statement here in the thread that the guy was told he could use it for whatever. That isn't communicating that they won't review his messages.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-18-2010 02:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the Department’s formal policy informed all SWAT officers that the Department might review their text messages.
..which wasn't the case with what I presented -no notice, warning .. nothing.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-18-2010 04:36 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a company wants to monitor communication on company-issued phones, they should at least inform and have the recipient sign a consent form upon receiving the phone. There is no reason to be all sneaky. That way people will watch what they say from the start. Idiots.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-18-2010 09:44 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always best to assume you have no rights. Unless they are clearly spelled out in legislation, even a court ruling is subject to interpretation. And even if it is spelled out in legislation, the monitoring could be going on without you knowing it.

The same old advice applies, always assume someone you don't want to is listening.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-18-2010 10:52 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
If a company wants to monitor communication on company-issued phones, they should at least inform and have the recipient sign a consent form upon receiving the phone. There is no reason to be all sneaky. That way people will watch what they say from the start. Idiots.
First, I agree that it is better to tell people that their messages can be monitored because it just generates a more cooperative atmosphere instead of an adversarial one.

Second, if there is an incident where the company needs to use its privilege to monitor communication there will be no question about their right to do so because all parties have been given notice.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 03-18-2010 10:55 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite often in an employee manual you'll see something along the lines of "all company property assigned for your use is property of the company and therefore subject to search. No rights of privacy should be assumed." Traditionally this was inserted to cover the employer's right to search your desk or an locker. In this modern age I would assume that this covers my company issued phone and laptop. I think the company I work for even has something the specifically says all communications sent using company owned technology is property of the company... not sure though.

I do admit that I use my company issued phone to send personal comments to my friends and family but the company makes me reimburse them for all text messages sent, so I think I could make a case that I own those. Still, I try not to send tooooo many texts I wouldn't want to read on power point presentation in front of the entire company. Now when I'm drunk texting... that's a different matter... [Embarrassed]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-18-2010 12:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yo Randy - Those were two most excellent comments that you presented here, for if those two were in force with this one employee's company, I wouldn't have inserted this discussion in this section of the forum.

Yet, as right now, there is so much hostility, finger pointing, and guilt ridden attitudes in this employee's company, it's a wonder that this company is still in business.

-thx Monte

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-18-2010 02:55 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
..which wasn't the case with what I presented -no notice, warning .. nothing.
I know that's how it was presented. But things aren't always presented to you the way they really are. Like sometimes they say that a company gave them no warning when they got warning in writing but just didn't read through it, they forget an incident occurred, or they think because someone said to them "You can use this for personal stuff" it negates their previous statement.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: