Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Strange Music Videos

Author Topic: Strange Music Videos
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-21-2010 02:32 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I have been trying to find a certain tune/music video by some alternative rock band. I can't remember the name of the song or even the name of the band. All I remember is the music video was a little weird and the lyrics involved taking his girlfriend out on a date and ultimately doing bad things to her. The tune was actually pretty good. When I first heard it a few years ago I didn't have the forethought to write it down on paper or just go out and buy the damned CD. So now I'm just frustrated thinking about the tune and not being able to fill in the blank!

While searching I came across other really strange music videos, some of which I've seen before, such as Come to Daddy by Aphex Twin or any number of music videos from Tool.

Anyway, the purpose of this topic is to ultimately help me find that damned lost rock tune, but also work as a collective for scary, strange or just plain weird music videos.

I'll start things off with a couple of Aphex Twin videos:
Come To Daddy - Aphex Twin
Aphex Twin - Rubber Johnny

|  IP: Logged

Catalin Balaceanu
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2010 03:58 AM      Profile for Catalin Balaceanu   Author's Homepage   Email Catalin Balaceanu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you remember at list a few words from the song?
When I try to find a certain song I don't know it's title or singer, I just go to good ol' google and type the few words I remember of it, followed by the word "lyrics". It works most of the time.
I'm not a big fan of weird music, but I remember a few years ago I was in Holland, when somebody showed me the Rubber Johnny video, without telling me it's actually a music video. Ofcourse, it freaked me out at the beginning, thinking it's for real. [Smile]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2010 05:31 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, "Come to Daddy" is great [Smile] I also like Window Licker

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-21-2010 01:52 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course with me being a fanatic about the animation work of Studio Ghibli, my favorite MV from the '90's is Chage & Aska's On Your Mark (1995 - directed by Hayao Miyazaki). Definitely qualifies as "strange" but I love it.

As for an album I like but can't identify, a couple of years ago a friend at work gave me a CD-R labeled "Jade Lowe". No album or song titles listed. I've done searches on the name and fragments of some of the lyrics and haven't been able to find any ID info. The CD-R copy I have is deteriorating and beginning to skip a lot. For now I have the tracks stored on my PC but I'd love to ID that disc (or discs) and buy it/them some day. Frustrating.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 03-21-2010 02:24 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The video creator- a guy named Cyriak from the U.K- has got to be on something or he's a genius.

I vote the second option.

Frankie Avalon remixed and futzed with.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2010 09:11 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, that video is mesmerizing! I really enjoyed it. [Cool]

Here's one I'm not so sure about. Whatever, the video looks just like the music sounds. I don't know Russian, so I'll call it Ei YIIII, ya ya ya, lo lo lo. [Big Grin]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-22-2010 10:54 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Trololo! [beer]

Don't miss the Trololo Remix

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-22-2010 11:51 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ph.D - Little Susie's on the Up

This one is bizarre. It actually played on MTV on its first day on the air.

I also recommend The Bubblemen are Coming, which appears to be the product of either too many drugs or not enough drugs.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2010 12:53 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn David! That remix almost made me pee myself laughing! Maybe there's a gas leak in the house, but that struck me as too funny!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-22-2010 12:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary, The first time I saw that remix I about had an "Oops I Crapped My Pants" moment from laughing.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-23-2010 12:24 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sick Sick Sick - Queens of the Stone Age
Don't fuck with the débutante, she'll cannibalize your ass!

Monsters in the Parasol - Queens of the Stone Age
Don't fuck with the drag queen, she'll (he'll) kick your ass!

Burn the Witch - Queens of the Stone Age
Don't fuck with the witch, she'll get even with your ass!

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2010 02:43 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

I guess that if you remember the tune pretty well, you have already tried www.midomi.com with no luck.

I doubt I'll recognize it as I'm not into music, but it may help to have details such as if it was a male/female vocal (male, I guess, since it talks about a girlfriend), perhaps recognizable as black/white singer (I guess white, as not that many black rock bands around), and perhaps the title of another song of similar style to get a feeling for it.

Of course if you could only remember a full sentence of the lyrics, then that would only be a google away [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-23-2010 12:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar winner Christoph Waltz (from Inglorious Basterds) did a spoof of that "Mr. Trololo" thing on the Jimmy Kimmel Live show.
Linky Linky

Pretty funny, but not nearly as strange as the original.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: