Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Shakiness rating?

Author Topic: Shakiness rating?
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2010 04:01 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really sure where this topic should go; putting it in Yak for now but feel free to move it.

How about, on either the 'film handler reviews' or the 'feature info' forum, the poster places a kind of shaky-cam rating out of 10? 1 would be all static shots or smooth pans, whereas 10 would be something like Cloverfield. The rating should be based on the average amount and severity of shaky-cam throughout the entire movie; i.e. a movie with a quick, violent shaky scene at the end would score lower than a movie with medium shakiness all the way through.

Myself, I can't really handle anything with a shakiness rating more than 6/10 [puke]

Just a few examples from my personal experience:
Alice in Wonderland (2010) - 3/10
District 9 - 8/10
12 Rounds - 9/10
Angels & Demons - 5/10

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-25-2010 04:46 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just guessing, but you've not seen The Hurt Locker yet, right?

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2010 09:41 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An excellent suggestion. Such a thing also should be required of reviewers in the general media.
Today's Los Angeles Times had a small article by Kenneth Turan commenting on the fact that audiences haven't flocked to GREEN ZONE.
This one is so shaky that even the trailer makes it incoherent!
I wonder how much that had to do with the audience turnoff, in addition to the fact no Iraq war film had done much business.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2010 08:03 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing there must be something biological about this, eh? I've never been bothered by anything that's often called "shakey cam" - and I'm certainly not just saying that to be difficult or buck the trend. It simply doesn't bother me either by a) making me nauseous, or b) rendering the plot incomprehensible (assuming the plot was comprehensible to begin with).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-25-2010 11:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy, it is just annoying. Basically it is done on purpose, professional cinematographers wanting to look amateur to give the movie a "realistic" feel because as we all know, realism is shaky. But even amateurs aren't that bad, they waaaay overdo it.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-25-2010 11:54 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, the solution is simple. We've been repeatedly told that when a movie is projected with digital projection, that image is ROCK STEADY -- none of that jitter that ruins all film projection. Problem solved.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-26-2010 12:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Frank, you've got it backwards. It seems even MORE shaky with digital projection simply because it is so rock steady. With a film projector, the naturally unsteady image counters the on-film shakiness, making it seem much steadier as a result. With unreasonable films like the Bourne series where even a table full of suits having a meeting looks like an earthquake, you can ride the framing knob up and down a bit to compensate even more. Having loosey-goosey lateral guide rollers can help as well. The result is a rock-steady picture when projecting shaky-cam movies on film and a horribly shaky image on DLP or TV.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2010 01:10 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Jeremy, it is just annoying. Basically it is done on purpose
Oh, I didn't mean to infer that I didn't notice it, or understand the aesthetic choices for using it ... I'm just saying that it doesn't annoy/bother me ... or make me sick, or make the scene incomprehensible, or any of the other complaints I've read about it.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2010 09:13 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it keeps all the old cinematographers with Parkinson's employed!!!

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2010 11:18 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pro 35 shakiness rating of 11.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-27-2010 06:32 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rating is a good idea!

btw: I wonder how many seizures it causes in high quality, large screen applications? Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: