Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sony's answer to the Wii

Author Topic: Sony's answer to the Wii
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-27-2010 02:07 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I love my Wii, but THIS might make me buy a PS3...

News Story Here (Make sure you check out the video in the middle of the page.)

Didn't post this in the random news thread because I thought it might generate some discussion on its own.

quote:

The Death of the Couch-Potato Gamer
By Clayton Morris - FOXNews.com

In the world of gaming, the motion wars are in full effect.

Now that motion-control game controllers like Sony's PlayStation Move and Microsoft's Project Natal are suiting up, jumping off the couch, and preparing to do battle with the best-selling Nintendo Wii, there's no place left for couch-potato gamers.

Having spent quality time last year with Natal I was anxious to get my hands on Sony's glowing orb Move controller, which I did this week. And you can color me impressed.

If you've seen a Nintendo Wii before then you already know how it works: You slap on a wrist strap, grab a virtual tennis racket, baseball bat, or sword and let the gaming begin. You'll find the games intuitive and easy to get acquainted, whether you're playing table tennis or gladiators.

I have to admit I wasn't expecting to be wowed by Sony's Move. The idea of using a controller with a glowing ball on top of it seemed far a field from Microsoft's evolutionary Project Natal which ditches the Wii styled controller all together. But not so fast!

"Microsoft's Natal is really limiting," a Sony representative told me. "You can't get the full range of virtual motion in a 3D space with just a camera on top of a television." What about the massively successful Nintendo Wii, I asked?

"The Wii controller can only be tracked based on its previous position -- it's jumpy, it's not smooth. The Sony Move controller is tracked exactly in 3D."

The game play was remarkably accurate and snappy, all in a 3D environment. Holding a sword, I was able turn it quickly in every direction imaginable: forward, backward, up, down, in, out, sideways, you name it. I felt like William Wallace in Braveheart -- without the biceps, tight abs and bulging pectorals. A boy can dream.

If you're used to getting away with those little flicking motions while playing tennis on the Wii, you'll be in for a rude awakening on the Move. Sony uses your full range of motion; no more phoning it in when you should actually be working your body.

If you already own a Playstation 3 you won't need a whole new system. Simply purchase the new Move controller and the Sony Eye camera for the top of your television and you're up and running. The Sony Move is a promising step for a company that's failed to impress lately. Two words: PSP GO!

The real question, though, is will a family that's already purchased a Nintendo Wii be compelled to purchase another motion-controlled system -- albeit one with better graphics and tighter controls? If Christmas sales are any indication, the Wii doesn't show any sign of slowing down.

Now that motion-control gaming has been nearly perfected, I'm tired of tennis, ping pong and bowling. I hope someone's paying attention when I say this: I want a light saber game and I want it soon. And I'm not ashamed to admit that.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-27-2010 02:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been pretty impressed with demo videos of the Playstation Move.

One demo on the engadget web site a guy was showing how the Move controller could do a lot of "Minority Report" style things, moving photos and video elements around the screen in 3D space. He was even grabbing the images and bending them like they were on sheets of thin plastic.

I like the Playstation Move Commercial featuring the "Kevin Butler" PR dude. The only downsides to the video are the usages of the Move controller are rather conventional (boxing and shooting are very obvious) and a Sony Bravia KDL52XBR4 TV is shown hanging on one of the walls. Anytime I see one of those things it instantly reminds me of my house getting burglarized.

I'm very certain I'll be buying a Move package for my PS3. I just don't know for sure when they're going to be available. I'll bet they sell like crazy.

What's with the glowing ball on top of the Move controller. It makes the device look like one of those battery powered massage things women use for masturbation.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: