Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Singer Ronnie James Dio dead at 67

Author Topic: Singer Ronnie James Dio dead at 67
Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-16-2010 05:32 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's reported on his website that he passed away this morning. He'd been diagnosed with stomach cancer last fall.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-16-2010 10:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the news a couple hours ago while hanging out with some friends. Didn't know Dio had stomach cancer. That's one of the really bad cancers to contract.

Back in the late 1980's I was able to see Ronnie James Dio in concert at Merriweather Post Pavilion (between Baltimore and Washington, DC). Accept was the opening act. That was one kick ass concert, and I didn't expect it to be since longtime guitarist Vivian Campbell left the band and later joined Whitesnake and then Def Leppard. The guitarist who took over, Craig Goldy, was a pretty damned good player in his own right. The thing that really impressed was the elaborate nature of the stage show. Lots of props, lasers and other stuff really pumped up the theatrical nature of the show. You rarely see that at any concert these days. The last few concerts I've attended have featured barren stages, just littered with the clutter of amplifiers and speaker monitors. If you're lucky the stage might feature a good LED jumbotron in the background.

Dio knew how to put on a good show. So do some of the other "old school" bands, such as Rush, Pink Floyd, etc. Current bands don't put that sort of thought and effort into it, but they sure charge a shit load for the ticket price.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-16-2010 11:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like "light shows" at concerts. It's just something that has always bothered me. I came for the band, not blinking lights.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2010 12:23 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie James Dio, in my opinion, was as good or better than many of his metal peers, but I don't think he ever got the respect he deserved.

The one and only time I saw him live was in 2003 at the San Diego Sports Arena where he opened for Iron Maiden. It was an excellent show even though they played only a few songs.

I think I will now go pull out my favorite Dio album, "The Last In Line," and listen to it as a tribute.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-17-2010 03:57 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read about the stomach cancer a few months ago, where he'd said it was detected in the early stages and being treated.

I had a foreboding feeling that it was worse than stated since with stomach cancer if you have signs that point to it, you're already in late stages.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2010 04:16 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
Truly sad. Beyond being a talented singer/lyricist/entertainer, he was also a much needed ambassador for hard rock/heavy metal. Where so many of his peers simply lived up to the dumb party guy image for interviews, Dio provided an intellegent and respectable voice for the genre.

I was fortunate enough to see him in concert twice during the "Heaven & Hell" reunion tour a couple of years ago. What amazed me was how energetic and happy he appeared to be. After so many years touring and performing, one would have expected him to be jaded or worn out. Yet, he looked as if there were no place he would rather be than up on that stage (not to mention how impressive his voice still was for a man his age).

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2010 04:01 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I'm gonna have to break out my ole Rainbow LP's and take a trip down memory lane.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-18-2010 04:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any Rainbow albums but the song "Stone Cold" was one of my favorites. Did he sing on that? It's a great pop/metal song.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2010 06:58 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, that was two lead singers after. Man on the iron mountain would be the most famous song Dio did with them. Though I preffer gates of Babylon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mso2g8lBGAQ

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-18-2010 11:53 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stomach cancer is the most deadliest type of the disease among Japanese males. More men in Japan die from this type of cancer than any other form. Because Japanese smoke a lot,I think lung cancer is probably the 2nd deadliest in that country. One of my grandfathers died from stomach cancer in 1946.

-Claude

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-19-2010 11:03 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Todd McCracken
Man on the iron mountain would be the most famous song Dio did with them.
Man on the Silver Mountain was the name of that one.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 11:53 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doh!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: