Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » As if we didn't have enough .. PS4

Author Topic: As if we didn't have enough .. PS4
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-22-2010 03:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linky

quote:
Imagining the Sony PlayStation 4 (PS4)

We speculate about Sony's next steps forward with the Playstation 4 and what it will take for the PS4 to beat out Microsoft and Nintendo from launch.

It’s never too early to begin peeking down the pipe at what’s to come. Though Sony just finished showing off its wares for the PlayStation 3 at this year’s E3, and wants you to believe it will be peddling new games on them for another decade, we couldn’t help but turn our eyes toward the very periphery of what’s to come. The next generation. The as-of-yet-unannounced PlayStation 4.

Let’s be clear: Sony hasn’t let a word slip about any game system to follow the PlayStation 3. But as learned observers of the industry, we’re willing to make some educated guesses about just what that might be. Will all of them come true? Almost certainly not. But it’s fun to play along, so close your eyes, put on your imagination cap and come along with us. OK, don’t close your eyes. You need them to read.
onLiveGoodbye, Discs

The current generation of Internet-connected consoles has already dipped a toe in the realm of digital distribution for games, but the next crop, including the PS4, will go even further. The PS4 will have no disc drive, depending entirely on an Internet connection for browsing and accessing games. Games may not be instantly playable (as they will be on the upcoming OnLive), but development will likely change to quicken download times significantly. For instance, you might be able to begin playing the first level of a game while the rest are still downloading, making them almost “streamable” in the same way that movies now are. The concept of downloadable content (DLC) will no longer be thought of as an add-on for existing games, but the game itself.

Sound unlikely? The upcoming PSP GO that Sony announced at this year’s E3 already makes the leap away from physical media, so Sony clearly favors the idea. On the PC, networks like Valve’s Steam have already gained acceptance from most gamers and developers for distributing games digitally, and many gamers now the skip the lines at malls for new releases to wait on download bars at home. Add in OnLive, if it ever comes to fruition, and Sony will have no choice but to distribute content online.
Lower Price, Fewer Features

Sony must have learned its lesson on this one, by now. The PlayStation 3 launched at $600, and though it stood head and shoulders above every other console on the market as the most powerful console, sales tanked on its price tag alone. But it wasn’t that bad a deal. The PS3 came with many features out of the box, like an high-def drive, wireless controller, and a hard drive, that drove the Xbox 360 to a comparable price if you included them all as accessories. But consumers favored the lower entry price.

Next time around, Sony will probably copy’s Microsoft’s routine, stripping the PS4 of all the non-essentials to get the base price down as low as possible. For instance, it may lack a disc drive, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to get one – it will just come as an accessory that costs extra. How low will it go? It’s almost impossible to tell, but $300 wouldn’t be a bad starting point.
Multimedia Machine

Expect to see the PlayStation 4 marketed as much as a home media server as a game console, because it will pretty much replace your cable box, video library, laptop, and the rental store down the block. You can already pull many of these tasks off with existing set-top boxes and consoles, like downloading 1080p movies, and streaming online video from sites like YouTube and Hulu. But you’ll also watch new shows live when they first air, as many people now rely on cable TV for.

We’re already seeing this happen. Look at the British channel Sky TV, which recently partnered with Microsoft to offer live streams of its programming via Xbox Live. We suspect more and more channels will choose this type of digital distribution in the future, since they’ll be able to command higher per-channel prices from individuals than they currently get from cable operators. That will finally give consumers a shot at the “ala carte” programming they’ve been clamoring for, paring out cable operators altogether and allowing individuals to pay only for the channels they watch.
Further Shrinkage

While the clutter of A/V boxes used to hide nicely in the deep cabinets under most CRT televisions, today’s flat screens don’t leave much room for junk. Fortunately, miniaturization has never let up its breakneck pace (as netbooks are a testament), and the next-gen hardware that ends up in the PS4 should be able to fit a box much smaller than the existing console – maybe even one small enough to hang from a bracket on the back of your TV, removing it from sight entirely. That might be an issue with a disc-based machine, or one with wired controllers, but the PS4 won’t require either.
More Power

This one has to be a given for any generation of game console: Power ratchets up a notch, making graphics look even closer to life. While the existing PlayStation 3 already does pretty well in this arena, with visuals that stand out as the best on any existing console, you can expect the PS4 to generate the kind of graphics than have hitherto only been available in the very highest echelon of gaming PCs. Think one shade away from cinematic, along the lines of Crysis running on one of today’s $8,000 rigs with every setting to high. To generate that type of realism, Sony will of course need to aim for higher clock speeds (or more cores) on its main central and graphics processors, but the PS4 will also likely include a devoted physics card for the heavy lifting behind the most engrossing effects: everything from trees realistically toppling in the right direction to realistic rain spatter and waves. And though the PlayStation 3 uses an Nvidia GPU, the next might actually tap Intel’s upcoming Larrabee chipset, according to some sources.
Sony Motion Controller DemoMotion Controller

Nintendo got the ball started with the Wii, but as this year’s E3 proves, everybody’s looking at new ways to control video games. Sony’s own attempt combines the accelerometers of a remote with the video capture of Microsoft’s Project Natal. By tracking a bright red ball atop the remote, the console can digitally insert objects into the hands of gamers or track movement with extreme precision, allowing it to act as a sword one moment and a handgun another.

Although the new controller will likely open up all sorts of opportunities for unique games – as it did with the Wii – Sony will likely also see it as a way to broaden the PS4’s appeal to non-gamers. Whether or not Sony rolls out this tech for the PlayStation 3, we suspect an intuitive motion controller will be used a primary selling point to put the PlayStation 4 into the hands of Ma and Pa.
Lean and Green

Ten years ago, even discussing the electricity demands or noise from a console seemed silly. Raw power was paramount. But with increasing environmental concerns, people don’t just want a machine that will produce movie-quality graphic experiences, they want a refined box that runs as cool, quiet and efficient as possible. Fortunately, smaller chip manufacturing processes make all of that possible without significant sacrifice. And PC manufacturers are leading the way. Look, for instance, at HP’s tiny, water-cooled Firebird, or the latest generation of inexpensive-but-powerful ATI Radeon cards. Not only do these technologies go easier on power bills, they keep things whisper-quiet, too, which will be absolutely critical if the system will have any credibility as a home media server. You can’t have whirring fans ruining the quiet scenes in 2001: A Space Odyssey, after all.

..Now, to wait to hear from Mr. "Joe R." to chime in on this ...

-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-22-2010 04:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read that, but you'd better believe that the successors to the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii have been on the drawing table for a long time. I'm sure feature sets change often. This has been happening in videogaming since it was invented.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2010 07:04 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The PS4 is atleast 3 to 5 years off. And Sony has 10 year windows for their systems. Unlike Microsoft, once the 360 came out the Orginal XBOX almost got zero new content. Where as the PS2 has new content coming out still.

The PS4 is along ways off still. Microsoft is however working on their next system. Funny how that works.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2010 09:45 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Such articles are 99% wild speculation, and I can't see what's useful about that.

Many of the initial "problems" with the PS3 turned into non-issues as time went by. My family plays night and day, and we also watch most of our TV using the PS3 as a media center (although we don't "watch TV on the internet" directly via the PS3, we bring most of our viewing to the PS3 on thumb drives).

Back to the article. What I don't understand is the same thing I don't get about the big debacles of many companies - why does some highly-paid team develop a product that needs so much fixing, when all they had to do is ASK THE USERS?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-22-2010 11:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen that same speculation about a PS4 console before.

I find the suggestion the PS4 or any other high performance gaming console will lack a disc drive to be very laughable and out of touch. That would be an extremely stupid design choice. Some people like downloading games, movies and music. Perhaps some of those people only want to download everything. I think the vast majority of people want the option of buying movies, music and games on physical media. Also, any new gaming console will absolutely be expected to do a lot more than just play games. They will have to function as multimedia centers. And that means being able to play optical discs in CD, DVD and Blu-ray format. Most people aren't throwing out their music and movie discs. Any new gaming console will also have to support connections to external hard disc drives and have networking support for PCs and other devices on the network.

Just another thing to show why physical media isn't dead: the situation with personal computers. The vast majority of desktop and laptop computers sold today all have disc drives to support CDs, DVDs, flash media and even Blu-ray. Computers lacking disc drives are in the tiny minority -and users still have the option of attaching external drives to those ultra-slim or tiny devices.

People have been able to buy most computer applications online and download them via the Internet for roughly a decade now. Despite convenient online availability major computer applications and suites are most often bought on physical media. Screw downloading Adobe Creative Suite. I'd rather have the discs on hand. I can get the suite reinstalled much faster that way if I need to do so.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2010 10:49 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 10-year product cycle would put a "PS4" slated for 2016, which is still 6 years away.

Who knows what technology will be like by then? While customers can be a good source of feedback on an existing product, they provide very little in the way of vision for the future. In product design, (to paraphrase Wayne Gretsky) you have to guess where the puck will be and skate there, not focus on where it is now.

I do find the prediction of a lack of a media drive hard to swallow. Sony tied the PS3 to the Blu-ray format, and that was one of the things that slowed its adoption rate (because of the high price and the development delays of the Blu-ray format). However, that connection paid major dividends when HD DVD was killed off and the PS3 was the best Blu-ray player to have for quite some time (and some could argue successfully that it still is).

I think it's premature to think seriously about a "PS4" platform, because I don't think that the PS3 has any inherent issues that necessitate a platform change. Most of its shortcomings are due to missing elements in software that could be developed if Sony had the will to do so. The motion controller is going to keep gamers quite happy for some time, and I think the PS3 will continue competing quite well with the Xbox 360 and Wii if the game titles meet the expectations of the marketplace.

Sony has a great opportunity that they have not yet exploited, and I see that as a major step for them in the next couple of years. They are putting network connectivity in many of their products, and the PS3 does a fabulous job of playing media files across the network and via the Internet (although it's missing some obvious connections to services like Amazon Video on Demand, Pandora, Netflix (built-in), etc.

But, imagine how they can market things if everything that had a "Sony Bravia Netlink" logo on it could just talk and share media without a lot of hassle? Buy a movie from the PlayStation store? Watch it on any Bravia-enabled device in your home. I think there's going to be a bigger push towards getting people away from DVR's and downloading content on demand, with more accessibility to that content.

But all that requires Sony to have the will to do so, and they haven't shown that they can put all the pieces together successfully, even when they have them all in front of them. They ceded the Walkman market to the iPod without as much as a whimper. They no longer stand as the best TV's that you can get, bar none, so they've ceded that reputation. The PSP Go has never gained traction the way the Nintendo DS did (and the Game Boy before it), and the PlayStation store doesn't have compelling content for people to buy/rent.

And none of those things are limited by the PS3's capabilities, so I don't see them needing to change their platform any time soon.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-24-2010 11:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony already has a "Bravia-link" setup with Sony-branded products. Panasonic and others have similar concepts. Unfortunately the functions are kind of limited to stuff like pressing one power button to turn off your PS3, TV set, etc. simultaneously. Hollywood movie studios and their army of lawyers are not very keen on people moving downloaded movies from one device to another. Lots of things are possible with new things like HDMI 1.4 and USB 3 but not everyone wants to see all of that capability fully utilized. Just for media playback and file transferring there's nothing wrong with standard LAN connections.

I think we'll eventually have the ideal situation where the customer can view his movies, TV shows, etc. on any digital device in his house, his car or the phone in his pocket. It's going to take a lot of legal wrangling before that's able to happen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: