Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Dreamworks all bummed out about Shrek's $71 million gross (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dreamworks all bummed out about Shrek's $71 million gross
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-25-2010 08:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so the industry "pundits" are all a-twitter about Shrek 4 pulling in about $35 million less than they thought it would for opening weekend. The theories being floated are:

- People aren't willing to pay the extra for the 3-D

- People are tired of Shrek movies

- People are objecting to higher ticket prices

Personally I think the second thing is the biggest problem. Although the movie is doing well for us, pre-Shrek buzz here was not exactly overwhelming. And, many of the customers coming out of the shows are sporting that "we wasted our time on THAT?!" look on their faces. In this age of instant reviews via texting, that can't be helping.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-25-2010 09:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with #2 also...one good movie does not three good sequels make.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-25-2010 09:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or... People are so tired of "Shrek" movies that they aren't willing to pay the upcharge for 3-D on top of the already high ticket prices they are already paying.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2010 09:38 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go with #3. I won't visit a theatre but about 4 time in a year.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-25-2010 10:43 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
King of Prussia, an IMAX 15/70 theater, had tickets available on opening weekend. That doesn't happen much - usually opening weekend is sold out days (sometimes weeks) in advance.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-25-2010 11:13 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It also got mediocre reviews, albeit better ones than Shrek the Turd.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-25-2010 11:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
one good movie does not three good sequels make.
That insinuates that the first Shrek was good. It was not. Mike Meyers sounds AWFUL in these movies. It is so distracting.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-25-2010 11:45 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the first was good Joe so you must be wrong. [Razz]

Two and Three were terrible.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-26-2010 12:39 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1 = good, however I did wonder why an ogre would have a Scottish accent (or whatever accent he was doing) and nobody else would. I liked the little digs at Disney.

2 = a piece of crap. Watched it once, hated it.

3 = never watched it due to 2 being so awful.

4 = haven't seen it yet but from the trailer, I think Eddie Murphy's use of 2007 street slang is going to be seriously dated in about 10 minutes. "It ain't happenin', playa." [gag] I do enjoy that they're still taking little shots at Disney, like the "Star Tours" bus crashing into a tree and the whole thing where "give a day, get a day" is an evil plan.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-26-2010 12:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to put the "Green Dude" to bed and let him fade away.

..but, oh wait, didn't I hear that Paramount is going to do a "T-3" and Megan Fox said "no way" on this one?

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2010 02:56 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is crap...I've seen it to many times already. Gingy is the only thing i like about these movies. Also Megan Fox was let go from the movie, she didn't decide to not do it. Micheal Bay decided against having her.

James. R. Deeter
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2010 01:34 PM      Profile for James. R. Deeter   Email James. R. Deeter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have her, please and thank you !

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2010 02:00 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this had been a "new" movie then a $71 million gross, by most accounts, would be considered spectacular. But because it's to a high-profile sequel it is considered a disappointment. Hollywood certainly has its own creative way of counting money.

Part of the problem: If the studios and sites like BoxofficeMojo would stop obsessing about opening-week box-office performance and studying past films' performance and making predictions, then no one would be disappointed when a film "under-performs." But then, these are the same studios that claim their big hits are in the red whenever lawsuits are filed regarding participants not getting their fair share of the cut.

Does anyone remember back in '02 when "E.T." was re-released and under-performed according to Universal's standards/expectations? (Apparently, they expected it to deliver "Star Wars" re-release type numbers.) I'll see if I can locate the articles in question, but if I remember the details correctly the studio claimed they lost revenue because the film made x less than predicted. Hello?! The film grossed $350 million domestic on a $10 million investment twenty years earlier. The film was already in the black!!!

Another problem, I think, is this mentality of the studios insisting on turning every hit movie into a franchise. Most franchises perform inconsistently and audiences tire of them quickly. The really successful franchises -- James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. -- are exceptions rather than the norm. Most hits are flukes, and it's too bad the studios don't accept them as such. Doesn't anyone heed William Goldman's mantra of nobody in Hollywood knowing anything?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-27-2010 04:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This latest drama involving the "final" sequel to Shrek raises some of the same old issues about what has been wrong with Hollywood for the last 20 or so years.

The entertainment media is part of the problem, but only because it willingly plays along with whatever the big studios need to hype. The movie studios are the key people responsible for hyping opening weekend dollar grosses. If the entertainment media had any desire to pursue accuracy it would put the stress on actual numbers of tickets sold. That statistic is far more meaningful than mere dollar grosses. Unfortunately, the entertainment media has to survive on advertising dollars. Movie studios spend a lot of money on advertising. Why risk biting the hand that feeds you?

The real problem, long lamented, is the stock market investor mentality in major studios. New, creative ideas are risky and unproven -investors hate that.

I think that mentality has worsened due to the fact every major movie studio is controlled by a giant international media corporation. Those media companies have reduced the distribution of movies, music and television content down to a mere few parties. It's not enough for you to have a vertically integrated giant media company re-selling old ideas in movies, music and TV. The risk is still there for some upstart with low overhead to blindside your music label with a great new sound. If all your competitors are nearly as big and like-minded in ideology then you can keep on selling the same old slop again and again.

Sadly, the general public seems willing much of the time to buy the same old slop. It's a pretty rare event when an independent movie release does great at the box office. It seems far more common for a forgettable or even downright crappy sequel to make a huge amount of money.

Indie success still bothers the majors, which I think is one of the reasons why they overload first run screens with prints of new releases and spend tens of millions or even hundreds of millions on marketing. They turn any indie release into an overlooked footnote. The MPAA, funded by the major studios, is also handy tool to muzzle controversial indie releases that may garner too much media attention.

quote:
I'll see if I can locate the articles in question, but if I remember the details correctly the studio claimed they lost revenue because the film made x less than predicted. Hello?! The film grossed $350 million domestic on a $10 million investment twenty years earlier. The film was already in the black!!!
What did Universal spend in marketing the E.T. 20th anniversary re-release? Maybe that's the excuse Universal used to claim they lost money on the effort. I assume the $10 million figure is the cost of inserting the CGI enhanced stuff into the movie. The advertising, print distribution, etc. would have easily run costs in the millions of dollars as well.

Still, the studio claiming it lost money on the 20th anniversary re-release of E.T. seems pretty odd. They also had the booming DVD market to tap. I bought one of those 2-disc editions of the movie and certainly wasn't the only one to do so. The DVD packaging sucked BTW.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2010 04:17 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$71 million might have been an awesome opening weekend gross a decade ago but for what is supposed to be Dreamworks major summer picture of course they're going to be dissapointed. We usually do very well with family films and I must say Shrek's attendance was very dissapointing. When a movie like 'Alice in Wonderland' (which wasn't all that great IMHO) grosses 116 million is opening weekend and just crossed the billion dollar global mark you can bet Dreamworks expects its own major summer animated pic to do the same; you can bet Toy Story 3 will open for more than 71 mil.

But, as the thread has been discussing, there are plenty of good reason for this-mostly because the last two Shrek movies sucked.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: