Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Dennis Hopper is dead!!

Author Topic: Dennis Hopper is dead!!
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2010 12:15 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
News said it. Is it true? [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-29-2010 12:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..died today at the age of 74 due to prostate cancer.

RIP Dennis Hopper

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-29-2010 02:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that'll put a stop to the Gary Coleman media frenzy.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 05-29-2010 03:46 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope so.

Coleman, you can keep, but Hopper, he has a body of work that will live forever.

The guy had talent.

Vale, Dennis Hopper.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-29-2010 11:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis Hopper had some memorable roles. Obviously most know him from Easy Rider. He was creepy as all hell in Blue Velvet. Hopper is one of the reasons why Speed was a fun action movie.

I liked his turn as a photojournalist in Apocalypse Now. Some rumors suggest the character was modeled after Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Eddie Adams, but Adams was not nearly that much of a hippie type. I posted what I think is really good monologue from Hopper in Apocalypse Now on my Facebook page. Here's the quote:

quote: Dennis Hopper, Photojournalist character
Why? Why would a nice guy like you want to kill the genius?

Why? Y'know that the man really likes you? He likes you. He really likes you. But he's got something in mind for you. Aren't you curious about that? I'm curious. I'm very curious. You curious? There's somethin' happening out here, man. You know something, man? I know something that you don't know. That's right, Jack. The man is clear in his mind but his soul is mad. Oh yeah. He's dying, I think. He hates all this. He hates it. But. The man's, uh -he reads poetry out loud, alright? And a voice. A voice.

He likes you because you're still alive. He's got plans for you. Nah. I'm not going to help you. You're going to help him, man. You're going to help him. I mean, what are they going to say, man, when he's gone? Huh? Because he dies, when it dies, man, when it dies, he dies, what are they going to say about him? What? Are they gonna say he was a kind man? He was a wise man? He had plans? He had wisdom? Bullshit, man! Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me! Wrong!

YOU.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-29-2010 11:28 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Some rumors suggest the character was modeled after Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Eddie Adams, but Adams was not nearly that much of a hippie type.
Coppola said the part was based on the real-life Sean Flynn, portrayed several years after the real disappearance. At least based on what's on wikipedia; then again, it's not a cited quote so who knows...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-30-2010 12:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis Hopper's character in Apocalypse Now was memorable nonetheless, and really necessary to add a bit of levity to some nightmarish visuals.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: