Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Jaws"...Released 35 Years Ago Today (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: "Jaws"...Released 35 Years Ago Today
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2010 06:35 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven Spielberg's "Jaws" was released on this date thirty-five years ago.

1) How many of you saw "Jaws" in its original theatrical release?

2) Do you believe "Jaws" is a classic worthy of discussion/celebration?

3) Do you believe "Jaws" ought to be remade (and in 3-D) per the current talk in Hollywood?

By the way, I wrote up a retrospective article on the history of "Jaws" if anyone's interested.

(I tried to paste in the article's text per the site rules but received an error message mentioning something about someone or something being referenced that has caused problems in the past. Say what? Or was the posting error due to the article's length? It's around 6,000 words.)

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 06-20-2010 06:42 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Jaws originally in the Odeon Bourke St. Melbourne cinema- and it is still one of the most frightening films made- The Exorcist being the other.

As a work of art it's debatable. As a study in tension building it's probably unsurpassed and in that context probably can be termed a work of art- but in the true meaning of the sense I doubt it.

It was remade, or more correctly sequelled, in Jaws 3D which was rightfully dubbed a piece of junk.

Should it be remade or remastered? No to both. Why?....well, why stuff with a classic unless you are totally devoid of ideas and just after a quick kill?

'Nuff said.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-20-2010 06:51 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Parfrey
Should it be remade or remastered? No to both. Why?....well, why stuff with a classic unless you are totally devoid of ideas and just after a quick kill?
That's it then. It'll be remade for sure.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2010 07:19 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very against a remake of any kind! Jaws is my favorite movie of all time! I did see it at the Odeon 1 in London Ontario many times in the summer of 1975 when i was 11 years old.

Also seen it at many other theaters over the years and got to run it in 35mm in 1995 at the New Yorker Cinema! The colour was very faded and the print was missing Robert Shaws monologue scenes which i replaced with my 16mm print!
So i did changeovers from 35mm to 35mm to 16mm to 35mm and so on!
My finest hour!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-20-2010 07:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) - Not me. I'm not THAT old. God damn!

2) - It was all right I suppose. All of the talking between the drunk guy with the accent and the other two guys on the boat was extraordinarily boring and seemed to last two hours unto itself. It just dragged on and on and on.

3) - Jaws has already been in 3D.

Your article has words that, when combined into a single post, form something that cannot be discussed here or people will go batshit.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2010 08:30 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[fu]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-21-2010 12:05 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe he was making a joke, Michael.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2010 12:31 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. I did not see Jaws in it's original release. I was 2.4 months old. I have since seen it numerous times.

2. I'm a huge Spielberg fanboy though I'm having a hard time forgiving him for "The Terminal". I think Jaws is a horror/suspense classic which should not be remade or disturbed. (though if a travesty remake is realized, I would like to see Victor Navorski go for a swim and get eaten by Bruce the shark.)

3. See no. 2. Hollywood really needs to fucking shit or get off the pot and put some brainpower towards some epic stories similar to what captured our imaginations back in the 70's and 80's.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-21-2010 01:00 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last sentence was no joke.

But, as always, Michael is hyper-sensitive for whatever reason even though no ill-will whatsoever was directed at him.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2010 02:10 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think i am hyper sensitive to bat shit! I will not enter any bat caves!

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2010 08:16 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they should make "Flipper" in 3D with 10.1 digital surround sound. Maybe add in the scratch 'n sniff cards to go with it.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-23-2010 08:32 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got to see Jaws the first time at an unauthorized late night sneak screening at the Springfield Cinema in Springfield where I was an usher. We weren't showing the film, our manager just commandeered the print so we could see it before the crowds.

I remember my girlfriend's sister (who also worked at the theatre) digging her fingernails into my arm when the head dropped through the hole in the boat. Surprised she didn't draw blood.

Ran the film several times in re-release. And all of the gawdawful sequels including Jaws 3D.

No, remakes would be stupid.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2010 10:02 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Jaws in its original release from the balcony of the Fox Theatre in Billings. The screen there was at least 50 feet wide. I can still remember the feelings of suspense generated by that opening scene.

A friend of mine and I were in Billings for a convention of TV dealers (we sold TVs at my day job then) and we were so excited talking about the movie afterward that we missed the exit leading to the hotel we were staying at...so, small-town driver that I was, and late night time with zero traffic that it was, I decided to "backtrack" up the wrong way of an on-ramp to get back to the hotel. Little did I know that the cross-street was divided by a large median, so we wound up going the wrong way on a one-way road. I finally drove the car across the median to get on the right side, got noticed by a cop, got chewed out, but didn't get a ticket...amazing, since I truly deserved one.

Anyway -- the movie is definitely one that is significant in its genre, but it's also significant in that it created the summer blockbuster as we know it today.

One of the best things about it is the way Spielberg was able to create the terror of the shark even though the shark has almost no screen-time in the film. (Add up the footage where you can actually see the shark...I think I read somewhere that it's under two minutes.) This was because the mechanical sharks didn't function properly, but the movie was improved by that.

In those days movies didn't play everywhere at once; we didn't play "Jaws" at the Roxy until December, 1976 -- 17 months after its release!

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2010 12:24 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Jaws" at the Merben Theater on Frankford Avenue in NE Philly in it's initial run. I concur with everyone in that is is a classic and should not be remade/altered in any way. Given their track record we'll be lucky if Universal doesn't screw up the blu-ray version with DNR.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2010 01:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah I forgot to weigh in on the remake: No, no, please don't. A remake would be a CGI crapfest.

Maybe if Spielberg agrees to direct, then a remake would be OK. But the studio will probably give it to Michael Bay.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: