Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The iNotaphone 4 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: The iNotaphone 4
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-19-2010 02:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
First let me express a minor amount of frustration. WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT THIS "PHONE" IS!!!

Ok, that being said, for those not in the know, this phone actually isn't a phone. You can't use it AS a phone. Sure its got silly little animated everything that impress the iPeople of the world and ten gazillion apps of which are for the most part a waste of my time, but whatever. There are widespread reports of these things dropping calls if you hold the phone a certain way, but honestly no matter how I grab this thing I am in such a good reception area it doesn't matter.

That being said the problem is the proximity detector. Basically as I am talking, the screen keeps turning back on, causing me to bang out numbers during the call, initiate a 3 way call, mute the conversation or simply hang up on the other caller.

My phone is in essence an emergency line of sorts in the event a theater needs immediate assistance with something, and I've had this thing for a week or so and haven't had one normal conversation. Once a call comes in, I usually have to run find a land line somewhere and waste time explaining to them that the call is bound to be terminated at any point and that it isn't me hanging up on them.

I will never understand why people love iProducts so much. Every single one, and I do mean EVERY single iThing I have ever had was substandard, troublesome and in terms of computers, crashed repeatedly. Ugh! It must be because I don't drink enough Starbucks coffee.

Regardless I'm done with the iProduct and I am going to switch to the Droid X or HTC Evo 4G.

The questions for everyone here are:
#1 Do you have any knowledge between the Droid X or HTC Evo 4G? I am leaning toward the Droid X on every aspect except the 4G capability, but I'm not sure if it would really even benefit me enough to bother.

#2 Does anyone know when the 30 day "return the phone and cancel the ATT contract" actually STARTS? Is it when I received the phone in the mail, when it was activated, or when I initially ordered the phone online and signed that agreement?

There is a week'ish waiting period for the real phones, so I am trying to figure out how to transfer my number, but keep the iJunk active until the real one arrives. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-19-2010 03:09 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From people I know that keep track of this stuff, apparently the proximity sensor bug is supposed to be fixed in the next firmware release. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

And the only reason I'd personally go with the iphone line of products is that I've got a fair number of apps I purchased on my ipod touch that I'll use in school/future job that have no port for android phones. But those are industry-specific/niche-market apps.

Matt Johnston
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2010 03:29 PM      Profile for Matt Johnston   Email Matt Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evo and the droid X are both great phones!

Before rambling off minor differences, what are you looking for out of them?

Also, it might be worth checking out androidforums.com

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-19-2010 04:07 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what Steve Jobs said on the weekend, they will accept a return if you're not happy no questions until September 30.

I think that's what he said anyway. Take a look at the video for confirmation.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-19-2010 04:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Every single one, and I do mean EVERY single iThing I have ever had was substandard
What other iThing have you owned besides an iPhone? I've never been a fan of the iPhone. My current cell phone works fine. It is old, but what more does it really need to do? Answer: nothing. It just needs to make and receive calls and texts. For everything else I have the iPod Touch, which has no reason to be substandard. True, many things could be improved like the onscreen keyboard, touch mapping, yadda yadda. I haven't noticed much if any animation in any of the apps or even the OS itself, just scaling when you touch something.

Solution to your problem: Get an Android phone and wait for it to arrive before you get rid of the iPhone 4. Be sure to get one of the more expensive models, because the Android OS runs pretty choppy on most non-expensive phones I have seen. And they still can't do Flash. What you can try to do in the meantime is hook the iPhone to iTunes, do a backup and then reinstall IOS4. This is the first I have heard of a proximity detection bug and if it is as bad as you say for everyone, it would be all over the news. So reinstall and it may go away or decrease.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-19-2010 04:37 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? The iPhone is a phone too?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-19-2010 04:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak to the iPhone for I do not have one (have a Sanyo M1 that I have been VERY pleased with for many years now). I also do not have an iPod <gasp> and, thus far, don't have a desire for one.

I do own an iMac...however and, quite frankly, have been VERY pleased with it. Its service record, as compared to equivalent aged PCs has been far above...I don't recall the last time it crashed...it has been that rock solid. It also is rather brisk. In fact, I was thinking that the next time I need a laptop, I may skip the PC because it take them FOREVER to load...and then they are not really loaded...they are still loading their services and processes and such while giving the illusion of being ready. So, in terms of reliability and speed, I'll take my iMac (despite being several years old now...something like 4 or 5 years) over an XP machine. For what its worth, I'm running "Snow Leopard OS X 10.6" on a first generation intel iMac. The only issue I've ever had was a crashed hard drive...which I've had on PCs to in equivalent amount of time. I changed the drive and it is better than ever.

Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-19-2010 05:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't own an iMac or iBook. Too limited for what I want to do. They may be fine for someone who lives in the ancient past before platters were invented *ahem* but they don't do it for me. [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-19-2010 06:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem solved. The local Verizon store had the Droid X (which was the one I was leaning more towards) in stock so I switched in the store.

Yes Jobs admitted the proximity detector issue, but the media went nuts over that youtube video of the guy showing the antenna "death grip" issue and hence, the free cases. He gave no estimation of when the proximity detector would be fixed. Had he said it would be fixed in an update within a week or 10 days I might have considered waiting, but I can tell already the Droid X is a superior machine anyway.

The phone bill also went down and coverage is better.

Joe, go check out the new iPods. The sound quality on them sucks.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-19-2010 06:54 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On July 5th I dumped my iPhone 3G for an Evo 4G. Let me summarize my Evo experience for you.

• Like everything that runs on Linux, it's clunky because there is no standardization between apps for the UI, etc. It feels thrown together and lacks polish.
  • The stock browser is broken, hangs while downloading pages with lots of content. You have to get a different browser like DolphinHD.
  • The music player cannot figure out how to associate album artwork files with the correct songs or albums. Apparently the best known fix for this is to buy a $3 Android app that does nothing but handle album artwork for you. BTW I spent several hours trying to sort this out using music managers like doubleTwist, MediaMonkey and Songbird and it still doesn't work.
  • The music player also cannot handle playlists very well. It will display, say, 6 songs on the playlist but only cycles through 2 of them (or whatever). With wrong or missing artwork.
  • The Bluetooth media streaming cuts in and out randomly.
  • We have 4G service here and I can get solid 4G connections, yet if I launch a web app like the browser (not the stock one!) the phone drops from 4G to 3G.
  • If all the coolest features are enabled (Wi-fi, GPS, 4G, and Bluetooth) and you have a 4G or Wi-fi connection, this thing sucks the life out of the battery in record time. If they're all going, forget it. You have to learn to disable what you aren't actually using at the moment in order to extend battery life, or plan on having the phone connected to a charger in the car, at work, etc.
  • Apps that are "official" on the iPhone, like the CNN news reader, are only available from unknown 3rd party sources for Android. Netflix is another example.
  • Two work colleagues also have Evo. One of them told me this morning his phone is crashing all the time since he installed and then uninstalled a news aggregator app over the weekend.
  • The Evo display looks good until there's motion, like a video. Then it falls way below the iPhone display quality.
  • For some reason you will find background tasks running all the time for apps you never launch. Sometimes more than a dozen. There's lots of debate whether it's better to leave them alone and hope they're actually asleep, vs. killing them when you snooze the phone.
  • Don't put anything but the phone by itself in your pocket or otherwise allow anything sharp to touch the screen or it will get scratched. BTW those screen protectors degrade the image quality horribly. I used one for a day and removed it.
  • Brief testing with the Evo camera and video recording suggest both are very unremarkable and do poorly in low light.
  • The Evo's virtual keyboard arranges keys in a way that makes them smaller, thus I make far more typing errors.
  • The voice dialer is useless. I can say "Call Work" and it will think for a few seconds then present me a list of random phone numbers which I have no idea where they came from.
My final complaint is the phone is just too big.
Call quality on the Evo seems good but no better than my iPhone 3G was (not 3G-S). Sprint's 3G service is definitely faster than AT&T's 3G. You can easily get various discounts from Sprint, up to around 25%.
Some of the Evo's current faults will be fixed in future releases of Android and as 3rd party software evolves. Right now it's just not ready unless you REALLY like tinkering under the hood. I just want a smartphone where all these features work and I don't have to spend hours on a single task like associating artwork with my music files in a way that the phone will accept.

Other than that how did you like the parade Mrs. Kennedy?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-19-2010 07:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Joe, go check out the new iPods. The sound quality on them sucks.
I used to have an iPod Mini and the sound quality did not meet my minimum standards. The iPod Touch, however, sounds MUCH better. The Touch is the only iPod model I care about (I cannot stand the click wheel navigation scheme). It is also one of the best music players as far as usability and GUI are concerned, though I admit it's not 100% perfect (that would be hard to accomplish). Playlists and Shuffle are handled much better on the Touch than other non-touch iPods. Still, if the sound quality is not good enough for you, you can buy an external pre-amp. I can hook my iPod Touch to my receiver and control it with the receiver's remote. All audio data is transferred digitally. The iPod can play MP3s, AACs, uncompressed AIFs and WAVs at higher than CD quality specs. I doubt it can play WMA's or Real Audio, though.

My biggest problem with the iPhone/iPod Touch web browsers is that they cannot download the large PDF manuals from here on Film-Tech. It will show maybe two and a half pages no matter which browser I use. It can display the smaller PDFs just fine, though. It's always good to have access to manuals in the field.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-19-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Evo seems to play music with fairly high fidelity, but it lacks any native EQ capability. You need an app for that.

I forgot to mention I ordered an iPhone 4 on 7/11. I hope it gets here before my 30 day trial is up with the Evo.

Poor Apple. The iPhone 4 is their counterpart to Windows Vista. It's tainted now and nothing they do will "fix" its reputation. I'm getting one anyway. [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-19-2010 07:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often wonder if the iPhone will play sound with the same quality as the iPod Touch. You would think it would be identical, but the iPhone has to do a lot more than the iPod does and they may have made some sacrifices to get it all to fit in there. I am just speaking out of my ass because I have seen no evidence one way or the other. But you WILL like:

-Being able to assign artwork easily to any individual song or group of songs in iTunes.

-Playlists that play the entire thing.

-Shuffle within any given playlist (something I hear other iPods do not handle well).

-Being able to tell the song when to start or end in iTunes (all of this carries over to the iPod/Phone).

I made sure that I don't let iTunes update my iPod unless I tell it. That way my iTunes and iPhone library do not have to match. I delete songs from iTunes all of the time yet they remain on my iPod, despite iTunes warning otherwise.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-19-2010 07:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you like working with one hand David, because if you like to shoulder the phone, you can forget it.

So far no complaints on the Droid X. We'll see as I start to use it more, but there is one thing it definitely does...it actually works as a phone.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-19-2010 08:07 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful what they can do nowadays...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: