Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My Mini has died! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My Mini has died!
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2010 03:55 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After only 3 years suddenly my Mini Cooper S engine stopped working. After towing the car to the Mini represantatives and service in Cyprus, the answer is that my car needs a new engine which will cost me nine and a half thousand Euro! I have not even finished the lease for the car. The excuse that my car is 7000 km above service and that is why this happen!! I am not sure how to handle it and thinking of going to court with this. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2010 04:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$12,411.36 USD ... ain't that a bit WAY TOO MUCH for a 4-banger motor replacement? DANG! that' half the price of the car!

Is it diesel, or petrol?

I trust that you kept your oil changes and checked your oil on a regular basis ....

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2010 04:09 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its petrol and the last oil change I did do it at a gas station and not at the dealership service. What a retard excuse they gave me.
Demetris

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2010 04:14 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oil pump went out, I bet. Plus, with you having it for less than 3 yrs, it should be under a warranty of sorts unless you've extended the mileage requirements per the condition of your lease.

Kept your receipts on any services rendered, plus the venues attended for service, would they have record of doing the service work performed on your Mini that you could get copies of so you can have a 'paper trail' to defend yourself?

Yea, I'd run that one with the court authorities on this case ...

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2010 04:16 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My Mini has died
I was going to ask if you meant car, computer or skirt! [Smile]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2010 04:28 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1st year they told me the bushings of the front wheel axle was gone and had to change the whole front axle. Under waranty. Last year as I was driving suddenly it lost the turbo! They had to replace the whole turbo unit even though they told me that they replaced the engine. This year is the engine. I am getting bloody ripped off. I don't know what I shall do about it [Frown] The warranty is supposed to be for 2 years only. I bought it in 2007.
Demetris

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-29-2010 07:58 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They replaced the engine before? There's your problem! They must have done a shitty job of replacing the engine last time!

In the US, there is something called a "Lemon Law." If you buy a car or other major purchase and it proves to be defective, the company is obliged to replace it. This is not a warranty claim. This goes over and above the warranty. I don't know the laws in your area but it might be worth it to do some research and find out.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-29-2010 08:50 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A repair shop in my neighborhood has replaced 5 Mini engines since the car was introduced. Two replacements were from BMW the others were from a major rebuilder (Jasper I think). Big rebuilders like Jasper have a better handle on problems than OEMs and have much better warranties.
Sounds to me like what you really need is a large jug of gasoline and a match.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2010 09:59 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After asking some other authorised service engineers, I was informed that BMW engines (which is what is in Mini) are done in such a way that they cannot get damaged to the extend the dealership is telling me due to some safety mechanism which does not allow the engine to start or continue a journey if something is amiss. I concur with the match and gasoline method [evil]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2010 10:23 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got close to 200,000 miles on my BMW and it still runs like new.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2010 01:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at first I was going to notify Mr Bean about this but your car is the newer Mini so that won't help you... and he probably wouldn 't have nmuch to say about it anyway. I certainly do sympathize with you big time though. My Land Rover engine blew up several months ago... not because I went past service... It got serviced spot on as the Brits would say. It just decided to blow up while I was driving along. Thankfully it happened locally and not out in the boonies somewhere. I wish it had also gone up in flames or something a bit more dramatic because then insurance woulda covered it. I neither had a match nor was the cigarette lighter in the vehicle at the time the engine parts left this planet. A new engine... which I am able to get at an extremely healthy discount from a friend that restores Land Rovers is $5800 USD. More than the Rover is worth... In my case I can write it off so I won't loose completely on the thing. I will just part the rest of it out...
BTW: My Rover was built during the time when they were owned by BMW... Some similar engine connection perhaps! The Rover engine plant was sold to the Chinese... but the engines are still available... The real motto is DO NOT EVER BUY A BRITISH CAR! My Hummer runs rings around what the Rover can do anyways....

Mark

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2010 06:11 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who would drive a Hummer [Big Grin]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2010 10:40 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought BMW was a German car, not British. Bavarian Motor Works

Rick

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-02-2010 11:30 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would contact the factory. In the U.S. sometimes the dealers overcharge while the factories want you to be happy. See if the factory rep can assist you with the balky dealer. Louis

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-02-2010 02:45 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the Hummer just a plastic rebodied Chevy Suburban with tiny windows and weird styling? It hasn't been anything like the military vehicle in many years.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: