Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 'The White Ribbon' cinematography

Author Topic: 'The White Ribbon' cinematography
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2010 09:02 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks!

I looked up the technical specifications for the movie 'The White Ribbon' and apparently the movie was photographed on colour stock (Kodak 250D/500D) then printed onto Kodak 2302 Black & White release print stock. The movie also went through a digital intermediate.

Can anyone suggest a reason why it would not have been better to shoot on black and white camera negative stock to begin with? Why shoot on colour stock for a movie that will be seen in black and white anyway?

|  IP: Logged

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2010 11:09 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read that the producers had TV committments in Europe to deliver a color movie. Shooting on color stock then gives them both capabilities.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2010 12:49 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A distributor who is also in international sales told me that some foreign markets do not accept b&w any more, so if you want to sell TV & DVD rights, you have to shoot in color.

I don't like fake black & white, it looks strange to me. Some exceptions, I recall that THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE (2001) shot by Roger Deakins on colour negative looked quite good, and a few french films like THE GIRL ON THE BRIDGE (1999).

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2010 01:14 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main reason films that are finished to Black and white are shot on colour is the fact that colour has more stock options including high speed stocks for low light shooting. Kodak only sells two black and white camera stocks so the options are very limited.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-09-2010 01:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Appelt
I don't like fake black & white, it looks strange to me.
Different approaches are used for setting the exposure for color and black & white photography. When shooting on black and white film you're supposed to adjust your exposure settings for the darkest parts of the image. In color photography you set the exposure according to highlights.

True black and white film projection looks different from B&W material on full color print stock. The color stock always seems to have some sort of color cast to it and perhaps a bit less contrast.

With a good enough scan (and 16-bit per channel color bandwidth) the digital intermediate approach could overcome some of the problems of converting native color photography to black and white.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2010 01:47 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Color original would also give many options for timing to B&W, by varying the primaries separately. I wonder if this was ever done before digital intermediates? It would still be possible by printing the color negative to panchromatic separation film, although I'm not sure that the separation film can produce an image suitable for projection.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: