Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Rental cars

Author Topic: Rental cars
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-11-2010 07:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are going to Orlando in a couple of weeks and I'm in charge of renting the car. In the past we've used National pretty often because their lot is very convenient (and I like being able to pick my own car). But, their prices have skyrocketed -- over $500 for six days.

So I checked a website called rentalcars.com and they had a lot of other companies listed, with prices starting at around $130 for the same time frame. Some of these companies are big names too -- Alamo, Budget, Hertz -- so I guess my question for you all is, is there any DISadvantage to going thru such a website?

Side note - the National rates on that website were the same as those quoted directly from their own website.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-11-2010 08:25 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had excellent luck with Priceline. One mid-size rental car is essentially the same as any other mid-size rental car, so the actual company that is renting it matters little. In the past, I have bid roughly 50-70% of the going rental rate and have usually gotten that. Obviously, it will not do much good if rental cars are in high demand when and where you want one. If I were you, I would bid $75-100 and see if they take it.

I have also had good luck with hotels on Priceline. I wouldn't use it airline tickets, however--I fear that there is too much risk of a crazy trip route, extra-long layover, etc., since the buyer can only specify origin and destination and travel dates, but not preferred times or maximum number of stops or layover time.

My only objection to Priceline is that (at least in the past) they require the user to provide a credit-card number in order to use their web site at all, and long before he commits to actually buying anything. I believe that this has changed, however.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2010 09:14 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Priceline still requires you to enter a credit card before searching. 3 weeks ago I was looking for a hotel in Toms River, NJ and went on Priceline, but before it would look, I had to enter my CC info. I didn't trust it, since I was going with my wife and daughter, and hotel star ratings are based on amenities and not actual quality/cleanliness of the hotel, so I just booked with a chain that I was familiar with. If you're willing to gamble a little, go Priceline.

The thing with rental car companies is the hidden and add-on charges. I booked with Enterprise through Travelocity. Their customer service was fantastic at the Philly airport, but they of course tried to upsell. I chose my car from options in that class, declined additional insurance, declined a GPS and opted to bring it back with a full tank. My total cost for picking up a Corolla Friday evening and dropping it off Monday morning with a full tank was $83.

I have used Priceline in the past on a hotel stay and ended up at an Embassy Suites for the price of a Super 8, so you can have the excellent results Scott mentioned. If you want some mental security that you know what you're getting before you pay, don't use them. Regardless, take a good long look around your car before you drive away when inspecting for dents and scratches and check with your own insurance before declining theirs.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2010 09:48 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not ever used any of the "discount" websites for rental cars,bu I strongly recommend getting the optional insurance. That way IF you are in accident your insurance doesn't take the hit. And most of the rental policies usually carry upwards of 1 million dollars coverage.

A friend of mine found that out the hard way. He was in rental car while his vehicle was in the body shop from another accident (not his fault). He went to a local Target store and someone backed into the rental car. Of course they didn't leave a note and there were apparently no witnesses. He ended up having to pay his deductible ($500) to get the rental car fixed. If he had just gotten the rental insurance he would've only been out approximately $150 for the 5 days of rental insurance.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 07:36 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rent a lot of cars every year and pretty much always do the following:

1) Check hotwire.com for rates (which are usually pretty good)
2) Go to priceline and bid 10 - 15% lower than the hotwire rate
3) If I win the priceline bid that is what I end up with and if not I book through hotwire

I like using those sites because I know there won't be any additional fees tacked on by the rental company that I have to fight. With hotwire and priceline I'm paid in full and in advance.

quote: Jeremy Weigel
I strongly recommend getting the optional insurance. That way IF you are in accident your insurance doesn't take the hit. And most of the rental policies usually carry upwards of 1 million dollars coverage.
I disagree with this strongly. The rental car company optional insurance is ridiculously expensive. If you take all the coverages it is $50 a day or more. Pro-rated That comes out to over $16,000 a year to insure one vehicle.

What is the difference if you have an accident in your own car or a rental car when it comes to your insurance covering it? Would you pay $50 a day (or even $20) for extra insurance on your vehicle so that you won't have to pay the deductible if you are in an accident? You have the same likelihood of something happening while using your regular vehicle that you do using a rental car.

The other thing is NEVER take the "fuel service" that they offer. Even though the pitch sounds good that you pay 10 or 20 cents less per gallon at their price they charge you for the full capacity of the tank no matter how much is left. Since it is not practical to use every drop of gas and roll the car back in you will ALWAYS pay for more gas than you used.

When I rent a car (which is a lot more often than I'd like) while they are typing my address and stuff in I will say:

"To make it easy for you I decline all the coverages and I'll return the tank full".

Sometimes the agent gets an attitude because obviously they get commission for selling these items. Even when I haven't used my line I've had agents get really pushy and give me attitude for not taking the insurance.

Also check with your credit card company because a lot of credit cards have the benefit that if you use their card on your rental car you get insurance that covers the "out of service" fee that the rental car company will charge you while the car is out for repair.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-12-2010 10:19 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed on the don't-buy-insurance issue, with one important exception: vehicles other than passenger cars (e.g. vans, trucks, etc.) may not be convered by credit-card or auto insurance policies, or the deductable may be higher than usual. In these cases, it often does make sense to buy the rental-company insurance, especially for those who may not be accustomed to driving a larger vehicle.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-12-2010 11:09 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike: special for Orlando.

All car rental lots are off site. (but some have counters, some do not.)

Get your bags, go to the curb, and go to any company.

I LIKE the buses. and I use Enterprise. They almost never upsell.

Do take your own GPS; it will help you find the rental company when you return and it will allow you to get lost and then find the hotel.

The buses help because they let you off at the door, no long walks in from the rental return. Louis

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Do take your own GPS
Hehe, when I was in greece about ten years ago, the rental place from the airport gave me the wrong directions. I drove around for hours all around the city, asking for directions at various gas stations and hotels. I drove around for about 4 hours before I found my hotel, wich was about a mile from the airport.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-12-2010 11:45 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All car rental lots are off site.
Actually no -- that's one reason I've liked National in the past -- you literally walk about 50 feet across the street from baggage claim and you're in their lot, and you get to pick the car you want. You can even decide on the spot to switch to a bigger or smaller car -- they just change your rental agreement on your way out.

We go to Orlando at least once a year due to my wife's job, and I don't mind paying a little extra for National's convenience, but triple what some the others are getting? Convenience isn't worth THAT much, I guess.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-12-2010 12:07 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have an American Express card, they have a premium option that replaces the rental company "loss damage waiver" for a flat $24.95 per rental, which is automatically applied whenever you rent a car on your AMEX.

More info and sign-up is here

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 12:20 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most standard personal auto policies of the "reputable" national insurance companies such as Nationwide, State Farm, USAA etc. usually provide extended coverage for the property damage to rental cars if rented by the named insured on the personal auto policy.

In other words by buying the damage coverage from the rental car company or from Amex you may be purchasing duplicate coverage to that you already have.

Read your policy and/or call your agent to confirm if you have tne rental car coverage already. No reason to pay for something you may already have.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 04:38 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Enterprise. They almost never upsell.
I have to respectfully disagree there. I have used Enterprise twice in my life, once two weeks ago, and both times they were upselling masters. So either I had two extrememly rare experiences, or they are trained to upsell. I suggest the latter. Upgrade the class of car? Add a GPS? Car seat for the baby? Optional insurance? Gas plan? The thing is, being in a theatre, I have no problem with upselling. They should be doing it, as do all of us. It's no more difficult to suggestively sell something than it is to politely decline it. The customer service at Enterprise was excellent, including the shuttle driver. I would recommend them to a friend.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 07:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me of another thing I like about National (and I assume others too) -- they have kiosks where you can finalize your rental without having to talk to an upselling human.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: