Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » do you tip pizza delivery guys? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: do you tip pizza delivery guys?
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 04:17 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subject speaks for itself.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 04:23 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-12-2010 04:31 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
$20 *IF* he's cute! Hubba Hubba! [evil] [Wink] [Razz]

(God! I'm soooo shallow! HA!) [thumbsup]

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 04:42 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the context of home delivery? Or delivery to a theatre?

I always tip with home delivery... assuming the pizza arrives whole and hot, and seemingly without additions. [Wink]

We've worked with a couple of pizza places, one of whom has a no tip policy specifically because they have a delivery charge that they basically hand to the driver.

The current place we're working with is great and I tip the drivers because I want them to get the pizza to us within 20 minutes of the order being placed.

-David

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 06:33 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so everyone knows... typically a pizza delivery driver uses their own vehicle, insurance, and fuel. They typically make minimum wage to cover their labor and may or not get paid a small stipend per delivery (a dollar or so) to help defray their fuel and wear and tear.

Without earning tips the delivery person would actually lose money by using their own gas, and paying for wear and tear on their car and for their auto insurance. Earning tips makes it worth it for the driver so that they can take home their minimum wage without having to spend it just to work.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-12-2010 08:20 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-12-2010 08:51 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 12:13 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting artical I just found. pizza

By the way, my 2 dominos pizzas which are advertised as $5.99 each cost me almost $20 bucks after delivery charge and tip.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-13-2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like the Teamsters should organize pizza delivery drivers [Razz] They are clearly being abused.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 01:00 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tip a $5 MINIMUM. Louis

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 01:37 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, however the amount depends upon the included delivery charge. In LA its getting kinda stupid, pizza+ 5$ delivery charge+tip.

No delivery charge very nice tip, delivery charge reduces that option.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 02:15 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the theatre the minimum tip is $5.00, I never order at home.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 04:25 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I always tip.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 04:29 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I adjust my pizza delivery tip based on attitude and weather. If they earn it, why not?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 05:54 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I do, but in principle, I am vehemently against tipping the way it has evolved today. Tips were intended to acknowledge particularly good, personal service, not an automatic number that is both expected and in many places even MANDATORY; it is a perversion of the original intent of our Founding Fathers.

What automatic tips at automatic percentages of the bill do is, they reward the employer for being a cheap unethical bastard for not paying his employees a decent living wage. And how does he get away with it? He doesn't have to pay that decent wage because TIPS are built into the system; he knows WE will subsidize his workers salaries. The expected 15% is not graded to the quality of service, but simply a fixed, presumed amount that will, if the worker is lucky, be added to his take home pay. Make the damn employer give them a 15% pay salary increase and be done with it and I will tip the person giving me service commensurate with how exceptional or mediocre I feel that service has been, or not at all -- my choice.

And not meaning to criticize delivery or waitering workers, but maybe they SHOULD get a little proactive and speak up for themselves and yes, unionize; demand a decent wage.

We should all write on the checks when we add the tip, "Mr. Cheapskate Employer -- pay your workers a decent wage so they don't have to rely on the kindness of strangers to support themselves."

My JoAnne says I am insane.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: