Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kick Ass: The Score - Not in the US?

Author Topic: Kick Ass: The Score - Not in the US?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 10:16 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me nuts, but I love the movie Kick Ass. I thought it was one of those movies where everything just clicked. And one of the things that clicked was the score - and I'm a sucker for a good score.

Apparently, the score has been released in the UK as something called, "Kick Ass: The Score". You can buy it on Amazon.uk HERE... well, if you're in the UK, I guess you can. Because when I try to click on it, I get the message:

We're sorry. We could not process your order because of geographical restrictions on the product which you were attempting to purchase. Please refer to the terms of use for this product to determine the geographical restrictions. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Now I understand if a movie is released here first and the DVD is available here, but the movie hasn't been released in Japan yet so they don't let anyone from Japan order the DVD yet. But how does this make any sense at all?

I want to pay someone money for something that already exists. In fact, it's even downloadable, so they don't even have to ship anything to me or do any work at all. I'll download it and burn it myself. I'll pay for it... and they don't want my money? It's not like someone couldn't easily find a place to download it for free somewhere else on the Internet in which case they would get exactly $0.00 for it. So what's the problem? Am I supposed to fly to the UK to get it? Or pay someone to import it for me? Or pay someone to buy it in the UK and ship it to me?

I don't get it.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-13-2010 10:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't want your money, so just download it "illegally". Hell, you tried to obtain it the right way. You really did!

If you still want to pay, have someone in the UK download it and FTP you the files and you send them a few Euros or lbs or Quigs or whatever silly name their currency is called. But you will still be breaking the law by listening to it outside of those countries. You are truly an evil person, Mark. There is a special place in jail (and hell) for you.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 10:26 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Oh, no! Now I really feel bad... I must be breaking the law by having the score play in the background every time I play movie.

Yikes. I hope they don't come hunt me down.

I could always Mac The Ripper the DVD, and pull off the left and right audio tracks and burn a CD out of those. I already own those tracks, right? I mean they came on the DVD that I already bought.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-13-2010 11:19 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I occasionally run into this issue when I try to buy CDs, DVDs, and BDs on-line in Japan - especially with sites like Amazon and Apple. Fortunately there are dozens of on-line stores that will sell things to foreigners. I imagine the UK is no different. Just have to do some searching.

I also use a proxy service to handle the money and transaction matters, especially since many of these sellers don't want to deal with money exchange and language and international shipping issues. In the end, I may pay more, but I get what I want. [Big Grin]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-17-2010 03:51 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH MY!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6C8AD004719338F9&playnext=1&v=FQUc4v5fckQ

Someone call the RIAA!

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2010 01:44 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want I can always buy the score and send you it as a 'Gift' from the UK, nothing illegal about that. I can take payment in Reeses Pieces, we only have the very small packs here and they're about a dollar each.

My friend saw an almost finished work print of Kick Ass in a test screening, and instead of the score they had put in themes from loads of super hero films, pretty sure that isn't copyright-friendly but it worked really well apparently. It's a cool film, only just saw it this week.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-23-2010 03:55 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
I want to pay someone money for something that already exists. In fact, it's even downloadable, so they don't even have to ship anything to me or do any work at all.
It's all about copyright. You may not be old enough to remember when you could buy imported albums in the US. Then sometime in the 80's the copyright law changed in this country, and overnight import albums were taken off the stands. As I understand it, if someone holds the US copyright (or distribution rights) the only way to sell the foreign version is for the foreign owner to pay the US owner. Which is just not happening.

Even if you download and burn it yourself, as long as the owner of the rights in this country says no, the owner in the other country has no right to let you do it.

Odds are pretty good the soundtrack will be released here. In the meantime, thank our corporate overlords and their lobbyist lackeys for all of the hard work they do keeping out copyright laws insane.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-24-2010 08:02 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bunch of shit. 'nuff said. All they're doing is pissing people off so that consumers who want it will still get it anyway, and NO ONE will get paid for it. They only have themselves to blame for this one.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-24-2010 09:28 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one ever said the music industry is incapable of shooting off both of it's feet [evil]

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2010 09:02 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The situation seems to be more restrictive for downloadable, as opposed to physical, media.

Amazon (UK) offers physical "Books, Music, DVD and Video items" to be delivered to:

quote:
Most countries in the world. Please note that customers in the US and Canada may be restricted to one copy of certain book titles because multiple copies may infringe US copyright laws.
when MP3 downloads are only available to:

quote:
At this time music downloads are only available to UK customers (including The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man). We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you. Please continue to check back for additional information on supported locations.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: