Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » More destructive to the music world - Yoko or Courtney? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: More destructive to the music world - Yoko or Courtney?
Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2010 10:45 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the wake of the recent news that Courtney Love lost custody of her daughter Frances Bean, a friend and I were discussing Nirvana, along with some of the other most influential bands ever, so naturally the Beatles came up. Normally, they say behind every great man is a great woman, but in both these cases, a woman directly influenced the demise of the band. So who was more destructive to the music world, music history, it's potential, and generally had a bigger impact on music? Courtney Love or Yoko Ono?

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2010 10:59 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Vote is Yoko Ono.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-22-2010 11:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
? Who cares ?

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2010 11:19 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither killed the creative output of their spouses. Lennon made some damn good music as a solo artist. Cobain's music did not suffer from marrying Love. I don't believe the rumors that Love had Cobain killed.

It's a different matter that I dislike both women. Love did at least make a few decent songs.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-23-2010 04:11 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put them both in a room & lock the door -- wait...throw in Britney Spears, just to be sure the torture is unrelenting.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2010 06:04 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither one will be remembered for changing music history. Although Cobain's death came at the height of his (and Nirvana's) creative talent, the Beetles were about spent and were probably going to break up soon anyway. Lennon and McCartney were far more talented than Ringo and Harrison. Moreover, the band went through too radical a transition in their looks and style in too short a period of time (think Ed Sullivan vs. Indian spirituality).

I know many Beetles fans who love the early stuff and refuse to listen to the later music and vice versa. Its a lot like being a U2 fan after the Joshua Tree album.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-23-2010 08:00 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
the Beetles were about spent and were probably going to break up soon anyway.
The band had broken up 10 years earlier.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-23-2010 08:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will always wonder if Lennon and McCartney might have worked together again after the Beatles' breakup if it hadn't been for the women in both their lives. If they had, who knows how history might have been altered? Lennon might not have moved into the Dakota and therefore might not have been killed.

Cobain was on a fast track to hell with or without Courtney Love.

So I vote for Yoko.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2010 08:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
The band had broken up 10 years earlier.
I might be a little off on my history here, but didn't Lennon meet Yoko Ono about 1965 or '66? The Beetles were together at least through 1969.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-23-2010 09:40 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I was thinking the "destruction" was referring to them both leading to untimely deaths. I fail.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-23-2010 10:25 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blaming the breakup on either woman implies that the guys were too weak willed to act on their own. Not likely.

That said, Yoko Ono handled the death of John Lennon with a hell of lot more class than Courtney did Corbain's.

Please don't make me listen to Yoko singing [evil]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-23-2010 10:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He fails too...not once but twice he spelled Beatles, Beetles (thus far that I have read). One is an insect, one was a "pop" band. Once can be a typo...the second is clear incompetence. Even when the band used the "ee" it was with the world "Silver" in front of it.

I, for one, like most of their stuff from very early to very late...Revolution 9 being a bit of an exception.

Considering how strong both Lennon and McCartney's music was in the '70s and even leading into the '80s...one couldn't say they were done yet and I have little doubt that their songs would been MANY fold better had they continued to collaborate. One is going to think differently when they are just writing with just themselves in mind performing the song versus a group of known players. Furthermore, how a song starts in a band differs greatly once the rest of the band puts their influence on it. Ever listen to Pete Townsend's version of his songs and compare it to The Who's version...he may have wrote virtually all of them...but his version of them are quite different than The Who's.

Speculation on what The Beatles might have been had this or that had not occurred, is, unfortunately, just speculation. We will never know. I know I still remember where I was when I heard that John Lennon was shot. It was a VERY sad day for many of us.

I don't think Yoko caused The Beatles to break up...The Beatles did that all on their own. Yoko may have been a catalyst though.

Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-23-2010 11:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was perhaps a bit too young to fully appreciate the music of John Lennon and The Beatles at the time when Lennon was shot. Nevertheless, I do remember where I was when it happened (at home in Syracuse, NY) and how it shook the country. The act of killing Lennon was, IMHO, one of the most stupid, senseless, pointless acts that have occurred in this country in the last 50 years. It should never have happened. Likewise, Lennon's killer should never ever be set free. My understanding is he is up for parole in September. I hope that is denied.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2010 06:51 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, small world. Bobby. I was working in the booth at the Cinema North in Mattydale when it happened, running the DeLaurentiis Flash Gordon and watching Monday Night Football on a little Sony when it the announcement came. After I locked up I went to visit a friend working at 95X, we shared a bong listening to the Lennon tracks he was playing. I remember it like it was yesterday.

The Beatles would have broken up anyway. If you are familiar at all with their history, around 1969 they were having a big falling out around who would manage the bad and run Apple Corps, John wanted Alan Klein, Paul wanted his father-in-law Lee Eastman. Plus, Paul had been going around behind the other's backs to buy extra shares in Northern Songs, the publishing company that administrated the rights to their music, something that John never forgave him for because it gave him extra financial payoff in the songs they had written together. I'm sure that Yoko wasn't a positive influence (if you remember the long-unseen movie Let It Be, you can see the strain she is putting on everyone else), but the big issues were always money and business, and the fact that they were all sick to death with each other.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-24-2010 10:23 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Small world indeed. I saw Flash Gordon in a theater in Syracuse, but this one was more toward the east side of town. Don't remember the name of the place. My mother dropped me, my brother and a couple of our friends off at the theater and went to do some shopping at a mall in East Syracuse. We lived in Liverpool and probably would have seen the movie at Cinema North if not for Mom's shopping itinerary.

Did you play the original Clash of the Titans there? I think I may have watched it at Cinema North. BTW, I liked listening to 95X. It was a decent rock station. I remember an animated TV commercial for it featuring some Godzilla-sized bionic guitar player.

While growing up I was more accustomed to the solo music from Paul McCartney & Wings as well as John Lennon than the Beatles music I grew to appreciate later.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: