Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » CEntrance MicPort Pro

Author Topic: CEntrance MicPort Pro
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-26-2010 03:17 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody here have any experience with this device:

http://www.centrance.com/products/mp/

It sounds really good for connecting decent mics to computers, and even supplies phantom power to mics that need it. It's not terribly expensive either.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2010 07:42 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stephen,

I hope my reply isn't too late - I have two MicPort Pros. I can't recommend them highly enough. Extremely clean mic gain with phantom power and zero latency headphone monitoring.

If you have any questions, please ask!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-11-2010 08:31 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, thank you for your reply.

Just a few questions. Are you using the software that allows you to combine the two USB outputs into a stereo audio stream? If so, does that work well? How much power does it draw from the USB when supplying phantom power to the mic; can a typical laptop provide enough power to run a pair of them, or do you need a powered hub? Have you had any problems with the gain setting being moved, or the mini-b usb connector being pulled out while in use? Can these be locked to prevent this?

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2010 10:45 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using them on a Macbook which doesn't require extra software to aggregate the two devices. In OSX, the built-in program 'Audio Midi Setup' handles the aggregation.

On Windows, I believe there's a downloadable program that allows you to do exactly the same thing, so that the computer sees only one device.

Initially, I tried plugging each MicPort into its own USB socket directly into the laptop but found that the results weren't satisfactory - my recordings were working fine for a minute or two, but then distortion would creep in along with fluctuating levels.

I contacted the people at CEntrance and they suggested that the two USB outlets on my laptop may be struggling to provide each microphone with sufficient power. Note that I was using the 48V phantom power on each micport to power condenser mics (specifically, Audio-Technica AT-3035's).

Apart from the power issue, they also suggested that the mainboard of the computer may not quite supply exactly the same clock sync simultaneously for each USB port, so that could be another issue.

In the end, they suggested a powered USB hub, and they cited the Belkin 4-port or 7-port hub specifically.

I ended up going with the 7-port and that has entirely solved the problems I initally experienced, so it would seem that using a powered USB hub is critical for getting successful results. If using dynamic mics, it might change the situation, but I would suggest getting a hub from the word go regardless - I certainly wish I had.

Although they cannot be locked, I haven't had any issues at all with the mini-b being removed inadvertently or the gain control drifting whatsoever. They feel very well engineered and the controls and sockets all inspire confidence. The gain control, for example, has just the right amount of friction to ensure smooth adjustments for correct level setting, yet stiff enough to ensure that they won't move once set.

One thing I do is instead of connecting the micport directly to each microphone (the way that CEntrance do in some of their demo videos), I connect an XLR cable between the mic and micport, thus allowing me to place the micports well out of harm's way. So I connect up, set my levels, then I place the micports somewhere where they won't be disturbed and this way I've never had a problem.

I should add that the reason I got the micports in the first place was that I wasn't satisfied with the quality of dedicated USB mics specifically in terms of sound quality and especially in terms of gain; I simply couldn't get sufficient gain from any of them. Of course, the micport allows one to use any mic one chooses and provides a wonderfully abundant (and clean!) gain stage to boot - problem solved! The ability to aggregate devices also meant that I didn't need to buy a separate outboard mixer as well.

I hope that helps! If I've left anything out, please ask.

Michael.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-12-2010 09:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USB pre is an excellent usb mic interface as is the m aucio

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: