Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Printing PDF files

Author Topic: Printing PDF files
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2010 08:57 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My printer prints everything but PDF files. Any ideas on what to look for? The files are emailed to me and are quotes and invoices. When I try to print them, the printer spits out a page with headers and footers and a single black line bordering where the content should be.

Thanks, Rick

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2010 10:21 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Richard,

I had that problem once and discovered that there are two ways to print. If you use the usual method with the print from the upper left corner "file" drop down you will get what you are talking about.

There is another "print" in the PDF viewer and that is the one you should be using. It may be just a printer icon in some programs. It is located on the right side at the top of the page.

Hope this helps

KEN

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2010 10:34 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ken, That was it. Not sure why it doesn't print from the drop down menu [Confused] , it brings up the same print menu either way. Thanks again, Rick

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-15-2010 11:32 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, a PDF is not truly a file but more of a "container."
Think of PDF as you would an envelope which contains a message to be read by the recipient. Thus a PDF can contain many kinds of data, not just text.

Therefore, it is dependent on the reader to be able to understand the message inside the envelope. For example, you could send me a letter through the mail. From the outside, it would look like any ordinary letter would but when I open it and take out the paper inside I might discover that you wrote the message in Chinese. If I don't understand Chinese, the letter is unreadable to me.

So, it seems that you have received an "envelope" in the form of a PDF file that contains data that your computer can not display correctly.

A couple of solutions.

Try a different way of displaying the file or use a different application to read it. For instance, "File Viewer" or "Preview" applications might not read all forms of PDF files correctly or they might read them but not print them properly. Try using Adobe Acrobat Reader instead.

Try a different computer. Try it with Vista or Win-XP instead of Windows 7. If you use a Mac, try it on a Windows machine... etc... etc... etc...

Finally, don't forget... It is the sender's responsibility to send documents that the recipient can read easily. It is NOT the recipient's responsibility to decode whatever crazy system or format that the sender decides to use.

Bottom line: Try a few things like different apps or computers but, if you can't read it ask the sender to reformat and send the file again.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2010 11:51 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,
Thanks for the info. Kens suggestion worked.

When my trial date for MS Office expired, I downloaded OpenOffice to work with any MS files that I get. When the trial version of MS Office,which was preloaded on my laptop expired I could open any files I had or received, but couldn't make any changes [fu] MS

Rick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: