Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Beauty and the Beast Sing-a-Long (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Beauty and the Beast Sing-a-Long
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2010 10:12 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3id04ae3d9411a9f6bc4a0e5ec43d9b380
quote:
"Grease" has greased the way for a new sing-along rerelease from Disney, this time involving its animated musical feature "Beauty and the Beast."

The Burbank studio rang up more than $305,000 from a couple dozen "Grease Sing-a-long" runs in July and August. National CineMedia's Fathom alternative-programming unit is a partner in the latest plans, which will see an HD 2D restoration of "Beauty" unspool [sic] in sing-along form in a limited number of theaters Sept. 29 and Oct. 2.

Disney is expected to rerelease "Beauty" in 3D in 2012 after postponing the 3D rerelease from a previous 2011 slot.

The theatrical sing-alongs are products of the studio's home entertainment division. As with the earlier project, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will rerelease the sing-along "Beauty" once it has completed its brief theatrical excursion.

"This is a very exciting release for the company as one of America's most cherished animated musicals is diligently restored and rereleased to all new heights in high definition," WDSHE executive vp Lori MacPherson said.

The good news is that it's in 2D. The bad news is that it's that digital HD Fathom crap instead of 35mm. Last I heard, that stuff was pretty much unwatchable. Anyone know if that still holds true?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-17-2010 12:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a sing-a-long of Mama Mia. The regular movie did really well while probably less than 20 people came to the sing-a-long version for its entire duration at the theater.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2010 02:37 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are getting the program on a hard drive, which is to be ingested in our Doremi server, to be played through our series 2 Barco.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2010 06:26 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Beauty and the Beast" is showing in 3D in Sydney, Australia at the moment only at Hoyts cinemas. So what's going on here?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-17-2010 10:48 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate singalong movies for the same reason I hate karaoke. Most people are not good singers. Why would I want to go see one of my favorite movies with the risk that some out-of-tune bimbo behind me would be wailing along with the songs?

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2010 09:00 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because it's on the Big Screen!

I would definitely prefer that it wasn't a sing-a-long. Maybe if I go, I'll SHUSH anyone who doesn't sit there quietly during the movie.

[Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-17-2010 11:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll still see giant texts flashed on the screen, which would be annoying with an annoying bouncing ball or flashing words.

It would be fun to go and then keep coming out and complaining to management that other members of the audience simply won't keep quiet.

Geoff Jones, you didn't happen to see Get Low recently, did you?

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2010 11:45 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Should I?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-17-2010 11:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up to you. I just saw someone in the audience last Friday sitting as close to the screen as possible on the first show of the day even though there were only like 30 other people in the auditorium. I figured it had to be you or perhaps someone else. Either way, I was right.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2010 11:54 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-18-2010 12:45 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Jeez! Not Sing-Alongs again! [puke]

We played Sing-Along A Sound of Music, years ago.
Strangely enough, we packed them in for two shows. When it's a whole auditorium full of people singing, it doesn't sound terrible. All the voices just average out.

But it was like a weird version of Rocky Horror Picutre Show.
(As if RHPS isn't weird enough! [Wink] )

The only thing that I thought was funny was when the Nazis were looking for the VonTrappes in the graveyard, shining their flashlights around. All the ushers shined their lights all around the auditorium.

The Sound of Music is good enough on its own. The sing along version just ruins it.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2010 10:46 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to re-release THE GREAT RACE with Natalie Wood's song:

Bouncing Ball: The Sweetheart Tree

Classic Bouncing Ball animation:

BB: It Ain't Gonna Rain No More

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-18-2010 02:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of wood doesn't float?

Natalie Wood.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 03:58 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any movie musical can be turned into a sing along and it doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg waiting for the studio to do it. All you need is a video projector, a computer, Powerpoint and someone who knows the songs well enuf that they can cue each line as the songs play. We did it to PURPLE RAIN and it was a huge success (about 5000 people). We ran the film and projected the lyrics underneath the picture, not in it. We used 1.66 lenses but with 1.85 plates, raised the image so that the black was at the bottom of the screen; we projected the video text in the black. This way it wasn't interfering with the film image and even more importantly, it didn't have to compete with the brighness of the film and get washed out in light scenes.

If I had my druthers -- not that I know what druthers are, but if I had them -- I certainly wouldn't have wasted all that effort on PURPLE RAIN, but then that's me -- those 5000 people who were dancing in the isles and on the grass and all the way back to the road certainly enjoyed it. What anyone sees in that squeeky little freak who can't decide what his name is, is beyond me.

BTW, we also did it two years before with THE SOUND OF MUSIC, but we hadn't gotten that sophistocated yet with projecting the text -- we just handed out the lyrics printed in extra large font size and had three volunteer singers who had very good voices up front on a mic leading the audience. Worked out fine. We got about 2000 for that show.

Trick is, not to run it as an normal engagement but do heavy promotion and treat it as an "event" and then you pull in your audience to only one or two shows, assuming you have a decent size theatre (or in our case, a park -- cap about 7000).

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 05:00 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
What kind of wood doesn't float?

Natalie Wood.

[Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: