Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Getting ready to close up shop....

Author Topic: Getting ready to close up shop....
Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-24-2010 12:38 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi gang, I hope this doesn't violate Forum rules, but I feel a need to explain something that you all may have noticed.

You may have noticed a jump in my postings in the "Equipment For Sale" forum. You may have also noticed the down tone of my posts of late.

Well, after 29 years in this industry, and in light of current events and the state of my health, I have made the very difficult decision to close down my business. The stress of trying to keep things rolling and constantly worrying about where my next rent payment is coming from, combined with the usual problem of slow or no-pay theatre owners has taken its toll. (I am about out someone in the Deadbeats thread if they don't pay up soon.)

I am, for the time being, hanging on to my test equipment as I still have a very few loyal clients who I will continue to take care of, but I am seeking employment outside of this industry to find something more stable. If things work out I may accept a position with a company within this industry if the right opportunity becomes available.

I have extensive stock of gears, bearings, rollers and misc. parts that I will be getting rid of as well.

This was not a decision I made without a lot of sleepless nights and much thought.

I do want to thank everyone here for all the support and kind words during my time here. I will most likely still be around here to keep up with you guys.

I especially want to thank Brad for providing this excellent forum for all of us to enjoy.

I also hope that, in this case, I am alone in dealing with this as I wouldn't wish my situation on anybody.

|  IP: Logged

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2010 03:07 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know several other film technicians that have their own companies and are in your same situation. This crappy economy has taken it's toll on a lot of people. Unfortunately, for guys like you in this industry you also have to compete with the switch to digital so it makes it that much harder. I hope you find gainful employment somewhere else Tony. All the best.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2010 03:50 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Tony. If you ever decide to come over to the dark side (digital) let us know as we are always looking for experienced install techs.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-24-2010 07:10 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, sorry to hear that. Todd's offer sounds like the way to go if you're up to it. As much as you seem to hate digital, it's gonna happen whether you like it or not and it will allow you to pay your rent. You seem to have far too much knowledge to stop using it just because the formats have changed.

I hope it all works out for you whatever you choose.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-24-2010 07:47 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Todd McCracken
Good luck Tony. If you ever decide to come over to the dark side (digital) let us know as we are always looking for experienced install techs.

Us too! We too looking for install techs...

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2010 03:30 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, I feel your pain. I've been doing this work for about 25 years now. For the last few years my only jobs have been through different contacts that know me. I'm down to my last client which is an amusement park in China. They have been good to me through the years and I have become very good friends with the people in charge. I cancelled my service contract with the theater in Egypt, good money but the way they do business bothered me....too many payoffs.

I have enough money to last me about a month, then I'll have to get a "real job". The Megasystems theaters are becoming obsolete. The theaters here in Evansville are all digital and have a local tech. I trained him when I left about 12 years ago.

I've been told by a few people that I should get into the Digital side of things, I guess it's time I got of my ass and got motivated to actually do it. When I was with Strong, I was supposed to be heavily involved with their development of a new Digital projector. I think I saw it once, never saw it operate though.

Rick

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2010 11:48 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my tech friends said that many of the projector manufacturers are hiring fresh college graduates with IT and electrical engineering degrees to do the installs. Problem is that they know nothing about projecting an image or how a booth works. The are a dime a dozen and expendable though.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2010 01:17 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua, I heard that from a Christie tech (good friend) a few years ago. He said with my film/install experience, they would hire me based on my experience. Too bad I was going through a divorce and had other contracts to fulfill. Maybe I need to give him a call [Smile]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-28-2010 04:35 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys for the good wishes. I am exploring options right now, but Todd and Paul, I will keep your offers in mind and will contact you soon by PM or email. And if I do go over to the "dark side" I'll brace myself for the razzing from the peanut gallery here. [Big Grin]

This past weekend was especially rough, with the combination of the heat (which affects me badly now) and almost losing my cat Gizmo to heart failure.

The hits just keep on coming.... [Frown]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-30-2010 09:32 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember rule #1: "That which does not kill me only makes me stronger."

And rule #2: "Everyday I survive is a poke in the eye of my enemies."

Every Jemes Bond/Matt Damon film is a variant of the above. Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-30-2010 05:44 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Todd, check your PM's and Paul check your email. [Smile]

@ Louis: LOL and thanks.

In the meantime folks, please check out the equipment for sale forum and help me out by buying some stuff. [Smile]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-22-2010 02:14 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this up to say a few things:

Paul and Todd, check your emails, you should have a document from me waiting.

To the gang at large:

I desperately need to sell off a lot of things, please check through the first two-three pages of the equipment for sale forum, and I will entertain any reasonable offers.

If you have something you're looking for, shoot me a PM or email chances are I may have it.

Thanks for your support!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: