Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Can Anyone Name This Font? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Can Anyone Name This Font?
Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2010 11:41 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the font knowledge here, I thought this would be a good place to find out what this is. We'd like to reproduce some other signs to insert into the frames, and are looking for something similar if not identical. Thanks in advance. [Smile]

-

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-25-2010 03:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by the differences in repeated characters (the "O," "N" and "T") I would say the lettering is custom hand drawn or digitized. If it was a typeface those repeating characters would look identical.

For something a little bit similar I would suggest using Showcard Gothic by Font Bureau. It's a fairly common typeface; I see it loaded on lots of Windows-based PCs. Not sure what applications bundle it.
Font linky

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-25-2010 04:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could use Trajan. Its Bobby-certified and approved for ALL purposes. [Razz]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-25-2010 07:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Trajan is kind of movie related.

But for the sake of all things sacred, please do not use Comic Sans, or the even worse looking "Kids" font. For that matter, don't use Arial either. Distorted or left in its proper proportions Arial sucks.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-26-2010 12:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boss makes me use Arial all of the time in my video projects. Sometimes he gets crazy and makes me use Arial Bold.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-26-2010 12:20 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can he tell the difference between Arial and Helvetica or any one of the other Helvetica knockoffs like Triumverate?
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=202957

Not a lot of people can tell. I'd switch just to see.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-26-2010 12:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not. He had me edit a wedding video he shot on the fly for some of his friends and told me to use a certain cursive-like font. I didn't like it, so I used a different cursive-like font. He never said a word. Though he did get mad that I added a stroke to the title because there were light and dark parts of the image. He insisted that strokes or "outlines" are never, ever used in graphic design. He also insisted that was the reason why the text looked all jaggy when he watched the DVD. I told him that was his crappy DVD player on his computer not deinterlacing very well (it was a 60i project), but he was having none of that!

Oh well, he pays good!

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2010 09:24 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Bobby. You're right, it's not a very consistent font, is it? Showcard Gothic looks like it would fit nicely for that kind of feel.

And just for shits and giggles, I think I might do them in Trajan just for a back-up. [Razz]

Seriously, I appreciate the help.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-26-2010 09:48 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Cursive fonts almost always suck when shown on a video screen, even if it's Hi-Def. Contrast between foreground and background colors can make it even worse.

Outlining or stroking could make the problem worse or better, depending on the stroke color and it's relationship to the colors around it.

I'm not trying to tell you anything you don't already know. It just sounds like we have similar types of bosses. Hey! I'll make you a deal. If you come to Pennsyltucky and kill my boss I'll go to Colorado and kill yours. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2010 10:44 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Hillary Charles
just for shits and giggles
Ha, I haven't heard that for a long time. My grandma used to say it when our family got together and played poker (nickle/dime). Never could tell if she was bluffing or not [Roll Eyes]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2010 02:04 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comic Sans works very well with dyslexic readers. They like the clarity of the letters. My wife is a trained dyslexic tutor, and she's now using Myriad Pro. This font is recommended by many national dyslexic teaching organizations.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-26-2010 07:12 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
He insisted that strokes or "outlines" are never, ever used in graphic design.
Joe, your boss could be buying his groceries blind-folded. Food package design has lots of examples where lettering is outlined, drop-shadowed, highlighted and more.

I do agree tasteful restraint should be used whenever possible. And that often means leaving lettering not embellished with various effects. But sometimes those embellishments are necessary to give a certain design the kind of visual "pop" it needs to grab attention or at least stand out from a noisy background. And that's why so much of food package design is so cheesy with the various lettering embellishments. The brand has to do what it can to stand out among all the other packages on the shelf. Loud color, certain visual elements and tricked out lettering are pretty standard in many kinds of package design.

Sign design isn't all that different, although there are more opportunities for tasteful design.

quote: Randy Stankey
Cursive fonts almost always suck when shown on a video screen, even if it's Hi-Def. Contrast between foreground and background colors can make it even worse.
It really depends on the script typeface. Letter stroke width is the real key. A typeface with an extreme contrast of stroke widths (very thick and thin) will be lousy for video use. The same kinds of fonts suck badly for any kind of signs even though some customers insist they be used. I'm not fond of Commercial Script because of its thin/thick stroke widths. The only way such a typeface works in signs and many other applications is by being set very large on the page or display.

"Modern" class typefaces, such as Bodoni or Didot, are very bad for the same reasons. They're not script typefaces, but since some of their features are very thin such typefaces are usually best avoided unless they can be set at really large point sizes -like when they're making up the headline of a magazine like Vogue.

quote: Mark Lensenmayer
My wife is a trained dyslexic tutor, and she's now using Myriad Pro. This font is recommended by many national dyslexic teaching organizations.
I'm confused, is Comic Sans the one recommended by those dyslexic teaching organizations or is Myriad Pro good to use?

I use Myriad on occasion. It's a decent more rounded alternative to Frutiger, although Myriad doesn't have the really bold "black" weights of Frutiger. Windows Vista and Windows 7 don't support Adobe Type Manager so you have to use Windows XP to use the old Type 1 Multiple Master version of Myriad. I don't know if Mac OSX will support Type 1 Multiple Master fonts. It wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't. Older versions of Adobe Illustrator used to have a Multiple Master weight slider palette (which saved the trouble of installing various instances in ATM). None of the CS versions of Illustrator have it.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2010 09:35 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typefaces for Dyslexics

Many people with dyslexia find Comic Sans easy to read, Tutors have found that Myriad Pro or Lexia Readable give better accuracy.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-26-2010 10:34 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dyslexic and the analysis at the above link seems pretty accurate for me.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-15-2010 07:36 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I need a font that resembles or complements the "ARLINGTON" part of the marquee.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: