Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » transferring files from 3 1/2 floppy

Author Topic: transferring files from 3 1/2 floppy
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2010 10:32 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any cheap suggestions on how to do this? No one I know has a computer with a floppy drive. I have 2 disks from 2003. One is a wiring schematic for a 3D system I did, and the other is a basic wiring schematic. I'd like to get them copied to my hard drive and a USB flash drive.

Thanks, Rick

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-07-2010 11:03 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on ebay there often are USB floppy drives available cheap

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2010 11:58 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Shit! [Eek!] I just called around the local computer shops and the cheapest I found was $50.00. To copy and paste files from 2 floppys to a flash drive, which I supply. I think I have the drawings printed out, I guess I'll have to tune up my AutoCad skills and re-draw them.

Gordon, thanks for the advice, but I really don't want to buy a floppy drive. I must have the last two 3 1/2 floppys in existance.

PROBLEM SOLVED, I JUST CALLED THE LIBRARY ABOUT 1 MILE AWAY AND THEY HAVE A CONVERTER KIT, FLOPPY TO USB.

Thanks anyway,
Rick

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2010 01:43 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad news for me, the files are gone from the disks. The disks are about 7 years old and have been moved a few times. I guess I got them too close to a big magnet and erased them. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Does anyone have suggestions on printing DWG files? The ones I have were done on a plotter which I don't have access to anymore since Megasystems closed. If I print them on a normal printer, they are way too small to be of any use. The schematics that I have are printed on 2' x 3' paper from the plotter.

My goal is to re-draw and print the schematics, have them all on disk and flash drive and put them all in a binder.

Rick

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-12-2010 03:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
FedEx Office can print PDF and DWF files on their large format printers.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2010 03:56 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Adam, Even though FedEx is on my "shit list" right now, I'll check with them when I'm done re-drawing the schematics.

Rick

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2010 04:22 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Brava free dwg viewer. I think you have to buy the package in order to print from the application but I did come copy/paste when I used it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-12-2010 06:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AutoCAD files are often annoying if you try to use the DXF or DWG files within programs like CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator to build full color illustrations of things like building elevations. That's because the drawings consist of nothing more than many thousands of open line segments rather than closed, geometrical shapes. Basically you just have to lock down the AutoCAD artwork on one layer and use it as a guide to rebuild proper artwork on layers above. That can be time consuming.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: