Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Barbara Billingsley passes away at age 94

Author Topic: Barbara Billingsley passes away at age 94
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-16-2010 11:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most know Barbara Billingsley from the TV series Leave it to Beaver where she played the quintessential American Mom, June Cleaver. That's part of what made her turn in the 1980 classic comedy Airplane so hilarious. She played against type and did so very well. Peter Graves and Leslie Nielsen did as well.

Billingsley passed away due a long illness early Saturday morning. She was 94.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2010 01:22 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Oh, stewardess. I speak jive."

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-17-2010 02:30 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes she does...

AIRPLANE!

A sad bit of news though, and a loss of a wonderful actress.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-17-2010 04:10 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AUNT BARBARA!!!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-17-2010 08:31 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ward, you were a little rough on the Beaver last night.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-17-2010 09:44 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Chump don't want the help, chump don't get the help."

She was great!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-18-2010 01:51 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the weekend ABC News did a spot on Barbara's passing and they ran a clip from Leave It To Beaver, but they also used that great clip from AIRPLANE. Thing is, the clip from AIRPLANE looked like they used a worn VHS tape as the source. It look awful. And I have seen this before -- when they run clips from films, it is almost as if they WANT them to look bad so as to say, "look viewers, this is not our usual superior broadcast quality....we do much better than this when WE orginate material." I mean, there is no reason whatsoever for a clip from a movie that is readily available on DVD, maybe even BluRay should look like super crap on a network news show. WTF? Where are they getting this source from?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-18-2010 05:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty bad for ABC to run crummy source material of a classic Hollywood hit. AKAIK, Airplane! hasn't been released on Blu-ray yet. However, HD masters of the movie do exist. I have seen Airplane! broadcast in HD on HD Net Movies.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: