Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Two theatres in Southern Illinois close

Author Topic: Two theatres in Southern Illinois close
John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2010 07:19 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FAIRFIELD, Ill. — Two Southern Illinois movie houses were closed Monday after the owner said there weren’t enough customers.

Rich Baker, the owner of Showtime Cinema in Fairfield and the Grand Theater Du Quoin, said he will reassess his finances over the next two weeks before deciding if the closures are permanent. “I just can’t seem to get the public involved,” Baker said. “I’ve put everything I’ve made back into the Fairfield theater since I took over in November 2007. I’ve never made a profit. The only people making money are the movie companies and my employees.”

Baker also closed the historic Grand Theater in Du Quoin on Monday – a movie house that opened in the 1920s. Baker has operated the Du Quoin property since April 2006. The cinema in Du Quoin features three screens and 453 seats. The Showtime Cinema at Fairfield also features three screens but only 58 seats per screen.

“The whole day on Saturday I only had 19 customers at the Fairfield property,” Baker said. “For the last four to six months, I’ve had to guarantee money up front just to get the films. Even small town theaters have to have community involvement to stay in operation.”

A fitness center that operates in conjunction with the Fairfield property will remain open, Baker said.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/oct/18/southern-illinois-movie-theaters-close/

Some images of the Grand:
http://thesouthern.com/news/local/article_3296068a-dbf8-11df-b1d7-001cc4c03286.html?mode=image

Originally the Grand had two screens, with the other in what used to be the balcony. The third screen was added in about 2007 by splitting the downstairs cinema.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: