Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Direct TV projection booth commercial (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Direct TV projection booth commercial
Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2010 03:25 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody know what theater was used to film this? The operator is sitting in the booth when a sniper comes in and darts him. The sniper then steals cans of film ... blah blah blah

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 03:40 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No idea but I have been hunting for it online to post to our Random Videos thread.

Pretty cool commercial though.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 03:43 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, California. The Simplex XL's have a projection throw is 110 feet and are angled at 22 degrees. The theatre is used in many TV Specials and commercials and film premieres these days.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2010 04:30 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rumor has it that NATO sent a cease and desist letter regarding this for "promotion of piracy."

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-25-2010 04:30 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NERDS!!!!!

Piracy -- Ha! -- Since the industry is the source of the pirated copies, this seems accurate. If I were DirecTV I'd cite "journalistic integrity."

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 04:57 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NATO, like the MPAA, is out of touch with reality.

The Orpheum would be a good possibility, I thought it might also have been the Los Angeles, (or the Million Dollar) but I did a clip run some years ago at whichever one it was and it had LP Assoc. Lamps and the booth wasn't as nice.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 05:35 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, the Los Angeles Theatre is a good answer but the projector angle is wrong. The Million Dollar Theatre has the booth on the front of the balcony. There are only afew deeply angled projection booths in Los Angeles today.
  • Orpheum Theatre
    State Theatre
    El Capitan Theatre's storage room (Paramount's old booth)
    Alex Theatre
    United Artist Theatre (Downtown-old booth)

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2010 06:04 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what makes us guess that it is in Los Angeles. The commercial could have been shot anywhere in the US or Canada. Unless someone recognizes the booth, the only thing we know for sure is that it is a a large old theatre, from the power/light board in the background.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-25-2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is there no possibility this was shot on a stage?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 06:38 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Los Angeles they use the Los Angeles and Orpheum Theatres both for commercial shoots all the time. The Los Angeles Theatre is used most of the time just for film and TV and commercial shoots. It shows movies very rarely. The Orpheum Theatre has been restored for TV Specials (American Idol, etc). film shoots and concerts. The Orpheum's booth was remodeled when the theatre was restored and is a large booth, like the commercial. It was also seen in the movie "Last Action Hero" in 1993 along with the lobby and auditorium of the Orpheum. The exterior was the Empire Theatre (Pandora Theatre) on 42nd. Street in New York. And I've worked the Los Angeles and Orpheum Theatres, when I was working in Los Angeles locals.
So IMHO it looks like the Orpheum Theatre in Downtown Los Angeles, CA.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-25-2010 09:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the point of the commercial?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 09:37 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't go there, Joe. Louis

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 10:08 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't copy the ad, but for the moment, it's on their website over to the right.

Direct TV

You may have to scroll up to the top to get the right one.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 10:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
What is the point of the commercial?
The point is that DirecTv offers movies supposedly before Netflix and the Box DVD kiosks.

And I think the projectionist is hot. [evil]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 10:44 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The booth mustn't be air conditioned then, eh? [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: